• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ah! My Goddess Season 2, UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie 3 Coming in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe anime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

But outside of all that, WTF is the DEAL with AMG anyway? As already noted, every anime release is from a different company, and the manga has come out in at least 3 different formats as well. Is it a model of hardcore fandom buying power and thus gets ridiculously erratic treatment because fans will still buy it, or what?

I think AMG has a great storyline.the first time i got into AMG was when a friend
of mine showed me the movie.i found the story to be great and started reading
the manga.when i heard about the Ah! My Goddess TV series,i just had
to get the series.i got all 6 vol's of AMG the TV series and it was good.i hope
the 2nd season is as good as the first and i'll get them since ADV films is
bringing out the series.
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
But outside of all that, WTF is the DEAL with AMG anyway? As already noted, every anime release is from a different company, and the manga has come out in at least 3 different formats as well. Is it a model of hardcore fandom buying power and thus gets ridiculously erratic treatment because fans will still buy it, or what?

It probably gets this treatment because a) the manga has been running a long time (started in 1989, still going) and b) despite that long a run, it hasn't had a sustained anime release until just recently. Dark Horse has quite reasonably released the manga in the prevailing format of the time, but the prevailing format has changed since the mid-90s, and continuing to release it in flipped comic form followed by large, flipped collection that costs half again as much as most of what's on the shelves isn't the best economic model these days.

Likewise, the OVAs, the movie, the Mini-Goddesses series and the TV series are all separate releases spread over a period of 14 years, so it's natural they'd be treated as separate projects for licensing purposes. (Even the second season of the TV series is a separate license, and note that it has a subtitle to mark it as distinct from the first season rather than a continuation.) That said, I have to wonder if it's a matter of difficulties working with the licensor...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2