• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Oreimo on DVD in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. Let's see.

My birthday's in October. Check.

Budget for birthday present $60. Check.

Yes, I do believe this is doable.

Gonna' be a happy birthday, yes indeed.
Matriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
WTK wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Only 1 question remains... How much will this cost? Confused

http://aniplexusa.com/oreimo/

MSRP: $74.99
Store price: $59.99
Thanks... Well, looks like I won't be buying this. Won't be able to afford it. Crying or Very sad Would be nice if there was a Regular Edition of it at a cheaper price...

I could justify paying a little over $100 on Blu-ray for this series, but not $60 for DVD. That's just me personally.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This is a guilty pleasure of mine so I might buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Karisu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
No blu-ray, no sale.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I can understand the no-DVD, no sale argument but BD-players can play both DVDs and BDs,...no?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
My little sister is so niche. Rolling Eyes
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
They can, and a ton of the DVDs I have when upscaled don't look all that different from the BD counterpart. Of course, I'm not a videophile so I don't have the super-eye for that one pixel that is kind of blurry and therefore makes the whole image worthless. There are some exceptions of course, but with a comedy title like Oreimo I fail to see how there could be some drastic difference.
Cloyde

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I would have hoped that the limited release was the Blu-ray release. I am willing to pay up to $75 for a Blu-ray release. I feel like Aniplex is treating the English speaking fans of Oreimo as second rate anime fans. If not an actually Blu-ray release, why not release it through Amazon VOD or iTunes in HD?

On another note, I am wondering if they are going to use John Pickett's translation for the first 12 episodes and if he is going to also translate that last 4.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I would rather have this on Blu-ray, since this is a fantastic looking show. I'll feel a little better if they hire Nightjar to do the DVD authoring — they did with Durarara and the Gurren Lagann movies, so I don't see why not — since they did the DVD authoring for Kannagi and I remember that looking fantastic for being on DVD.

It seems like such a disservice to these HD shows to be releasing them on DVD still. I know Blu-ray is expensive, but I'm sure they could find some way to make it work.

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Actually as a big brother myself, I found him quite relate-able, with Kirino one of the more believable takes on a little sister I've seen. Little sisters are aggravating, and can push your buttons to madness easily, but you'll still bind over backwards for them when needed. Actually felt like it wasn't written by a wishful only child like all the others.

I am also an older brother, but I didn't find it relatable at all. *shrugs*
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Cool but it sucks that its sub only why cant they dub it like Madoka Magica
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Definately going to pick this up, no dub has kind of become commonplace these days. Hopefully the release will come with some kind of artbox or nifty case or something.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I may buy this. If so, it'll be ONLY for the one episode where he hangs out with the Tamura family. The best thing about the whole series.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Seems to be getting more common for some anime to be sub only. Nothing wrong with that, but sub only anime could be a cheaper since no money was put into dubbing.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They can, and a ton of the DVDs I have when upscaled don't look all that different from the BD counterpart. Of course, I'm not a videophile so I don't have the super-eye for that one pixel that is kind of blurry and therefore makes the whole image worthless. There are some exceptions of course, but with a comedy title like Oreimo I fail to see how there could be some drastic difference.

Fanservice always looks better in 1080p, and Kirino gets quite a few nice shots.
Matriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Really? Surprised In my experience, this is what the difference between upscaled-DVD and Blu-ray looks like.

upscaled-DVD

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2240/nanoha1920x1080v01.jpg

Blu-ray

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7117/nanoha1920x1080v02.jpg

Original Image

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8631/6f260c99c05edb60db3f4d5.png

Anime is generally all about bold colors, high-contrast, and sharp, well-defined lines. Oreimo fits this as well. This means that flaws in the image are easier to pick out because there isn't as much color information for our brains to work through. (color gradients) It won't matter if it's high action or a slow moving drama or comedy, artifacts and other flaws are just more apparent.

This has been my experience and is my opinion on the subject anyway.

Last edited by Matriel on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6