• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - To-y

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Yet despite having no idea of who Morrissey is (all I know is that "Morrissey sucks!" per this dub)

Wow, are you kidding? Man, you need to get out more. Morrissey was the lead singer of the Smiths, hands down one of the greatest British bands of the 1980s, and then went on to have a successful solo career. The Mozzer's solo stuff has never gotten a whole lot of radio play, but the Smiths sure did, with their biggest hits probably being "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "How Soon Is Now?" (a cover version of which was the theme song to the WB show Charmed). Read much more here.

Anime World Order wrote:
and having never heard any of the songs used in Anime Bites due to a complete indifference towards grunge and anything from Seattle that isn't entitled "Almost Live!"

*coughcoughJimiHendrixcoughcough*

Wink

To-Y sounds like a great find. I *never* download fansubs (I don't even know where to look), but I'm seriously considering hunting for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
You my friend have touched all of my favorites. When you did Robot Carnival and recognized it's greatness and importance to the anime art as a whole I was hooked. Since then every article you have written has been informative and a helpful romp into obscure anime (not necessarily all impossible to get which I love a chalenge on anyway).

My basic rule of watching anime is "If I've never heard of it, I'm watching that next". It has caused me to uncover some royal gems in the rough over the years. My obsession for rare anime and manga had started when I was 12 and my dad bought me a random box of comics. The two comics that where in there were the throw away Arion Lord of Atlantis (still cool for it's pre retcon relationship to Powergirl though) and.... AREA 88 by VIZ (well it was actually by Eclipse International and then taken and dropped by Viz ... booo! Anime cry). Anyone who's tried to get ahold of the Area 88 manga let alone almost all of it knows why that is a gem to have. I am happy to report I got nearly all of it in one lucky buy (I have extra copies of certain volumes too but am missing 1-7 as that was in another box).

I want To-Y fans to know I am giving this show a genuine chance and hope for a unique experience. Any show that can reach beloved , even cult, status like that deserves a look.

Thanks for the info Buried Treasure!
mirichan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I read this entry at work earlier today and I was really intrigued. A quick search and I knew I would download the fansub once I hit home (which I just started doing).

But adding to your praises I got totally convinced to start this download as soon as I saw ONE name... the late Shiozawa Kaneto. I can't thank you enough for talking about this "buried treasure" and can't wait to watch it now.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I love Buried Treasure^_^

I'm always on the look-out for unusual anime (and manga), and this fits the bill perfectly. Just getting it now.

On a slightly different note: is Angels Egg still licenced? I thought it was going to be released in the states, but nothing seems to have happened.

Something I'd recommend is Strange Dawn (licenced, but only half has been released). A mix of SD with some very violent action. This was shown in the UK on Channel 5 as a morning children's show! Guess the person in charge of programming didn't actually watch the show>_<

JBV^_^
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
mirichan wrote:

But adding to your praises I got totally convinced to start this download as soon as I saw ONE name... the late Shiozawa Kaneto. I can't thank you enough for talking about this "buried treasure" and can't wait to watch it now.

He was my favorite voice actor ever since I can remember. I remember being upset that they were going to have to cast a new Shin for Area 88 since he will always be Shin to me. The same goes for Vampire Hunter D. I wonder why he didn't reprise his role as Ma Kube for the 5.1 anniversary version of the Gundam Trilogy. His voice is so unique, and most of these attempts to replace seem to miss the mark.
Keita-sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
hi there, im new to this forum (although i have lurked around here before) my question is this: does anyone know where to find the To-y manga? i'd even settle for the (cough) torrents for it Embarassed . thanks
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Just like the Like the Clouds, Like the Wind article, I found the 'related story' much more interesting than the piece about the anime itself. Even though I am a fan of an older generation, To-Y was probably something I heard mentioned in passing conversation but it's lack of availability in many circles probably caused it to fly right out of my memory.

It sounds interesting though, even if just for the cliche 80s punk and driving soundtrack. Rareity and obscurity is just an added bonus. You can bet I'll be hunting for this tonight.

Last edited by SalarymanJoe on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote
Another lover of old anime has put together a DVD ISO (4.3GB) of The Legend of Sirius (US: The Sea Prince
and the Fire Child) , which would be a great candidate for Buried Treasure. Although not visually digitally restored (not needed, quality is terrific) it has been made dual audio by using the R1 DVD (Japanese audio only & no subs) and adding an (edited/restored) English audio track (from the out-of-print VHS dub) as well as English subs (edited for style & placement & timing). A labour of love & the result is stunnig, with Selectable Audio & sub-titles.

This wonderful Masami Hata/Sanrio Anime has long been unlicensed/unavailable outside Japan & now can entrance young children with English Audio & older anime lovers with Japanese audio & English subs.

My only criticism is that the subs are too large (font) but that's a small quibble Very Happy

For those who have never heard of the Film, Ben Ettingers' site has an excellent introduction & anyone interested in older anime should visit his site regularly.
http://www.pelleas.net/hm/22.shtml

Please do lots more Buried Treasure! Razz

regards,
Nico M
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I just watched this. Thank you so much for telling us about it. It was unlike all the other band-based animes I've seen because way it looked and felt. There were scenes in it I doubt I'll ever forget. And the restoration was simply amazing. This certainly was a buried treasure.
Keita-sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
i just got a chance to see the new restoration on To-y tonight, and they did a bang-up good job (!) on this classic. the subs are very clear and easy-to-read. the video and audio were clean and crisp. it was obvious that this project was a labor of love to these folks. the attention to detail paid to this project throughout is phenomenal. once again, kudos goes to all of you!
mirichan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I wonder why he didn't reprise his role as Ma Kube for the 5.1 anniversary version of the Gundam Trilogy. His voice is so unique, and most of these attempts to replace seem to miss the mark.

Not sure I've got you here but if I understand correctly, when you refer to the "5.1 anniversary version of..." do you mean the Special Edition that was released late in 2000?

If so, well I would hazard to say that Shiozawa probably could NOT reprise his role as he died in May 2000.
KocaKoala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well I finally got around to watching To-y and I have to say it was definitely Buried Treasure material. I found the entire plot extremely relaxing, I didn't 'need' to give the movie my full focus, but without question it stole my focus and kept my eyes glued to the screen. This really felt like another anime about the 'human condition' and about 'sticking by your friends'.

All in all it was a great anime, I only wish I was a tad older so that I could've seen it when it was new.
sora-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
I loved Nineteen19 and this is recommended for people who liked it. I've found a torrent on [snip] (Very useful website, I found Nineteen19 on there too) and I'm looking forward to downloading it Anime smile

Also, I've heard some people would like to see the anime OVA of Sho Kitagawa's other manga, Blue Butterfly Fish, so just to say you can also find it on [snip]. Interestingly subbed by the To-y Restoration Committee, the quality looks awesome Smile

[Mod note: Sorry, but fansub links are not allowed in the forums. ~C]

Anime World Order wrote:

I'm not sure I actually want to ask this question or not, since it'll inevitably bring the furries out of the woodwork, but is Niya one of the first--if not the first--"catgirls" in anime?

Niya is indeed probably ONE of the first catgirls in anime, the earliest I know of is The Star Of Cottonland's Chibi Neko, which was also reviewed in Buried Treasure. The manga ran in Lala starting in 1979 and it had an anime movie adaptation in 1984, which is well worth seeing, unless you can't stand anything cutesy. Even so, the animation and art in it is way ahead of its time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2