• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

2) My comments are just some post on a forum. If you dissagree with em, it doesnt really make any difference. Zacs column is something that he writes for the entertainment of people who read it. Also its something he's gonna keep writing each week. I mean come on, you can at least see the differences between complaining about something in an article and complaining about someone complaing about something right?

Was that so hard to spot? Your quote makes it sound like it was. I guess "There's no blinder a person then the one who just won't see." Yay, now I get to sount all clever and "show you".
All I see is an insolent puppy who's chasing its tail
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

2) My comments are just some post on a forum. If you dissagree with em, it doesnt really make any difference. Zacs column is something that he writes for the entertainment of people who read it. Also its something he's gonna keep writing each week. I mean come on, you can at least see the differences between complaining about something in an article and complaining about someone complaing about something right?

Was that so hard to spot? Your quote makes it sound like it was. I guess "There's no blinder a person then the one who just won't see." Yay, now I get to sount all clever and "show you".

This is more fun than going to the movies. I'm going to go get some popcorn. Very Happy
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:

This is more fun than going to the movies. I'm going to go get some popcorn. Very Happy

lol, gotta love flame wars! I'm not saying anything regarding this topic.

About the actually topic: I miss the rants Sad Yes, they were getting pasted their time but it was fun to read them. Can't wait to read the answers! How old are the flakes?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Do you plan to post any good responses you get to your questions?

DId you read the entire segment? That's the whole point. Next week we'll have the question reposed along with the best answers I got. If there are some really bad ones, I'll consider a Wall of Shame and post them anonymously.

Following that we'll have a new question; it may be related to the issue at hand, or a new topic altogether. Depends on which way the answers go; if they're continually using logic or reasoning I can't get behind, I'll ask a question about that. If I feel the discussion as it were is over, I'll move on.

Yea I read the whole segment but I have to be honest and say I wasn't reading as in depth as normal. More or less "light reading." Sorry Zac, but as much as I love your column the dinner for 90 I was catering this past weekend was the dominant thought in my mind going into Friday. I guess the Wall of Shame idea could be sort of an accompaniment to the Flake of the week.

Zac wrote:
And yes, all the old topics will come back for this one. I feel it's a fresh perspective. You can also look forward to questions posed to you by people in the industry. It won't always be me asking the question.

Think about it like you're all sitting on a panel at an anime convention and the room is full of people from the major press and in the industry and we're the ones raising our hands and asking questions. That's the basic gist I'm going for here.

I love the idea of you getting other people to pose the questions to us. Not that we don't love you Zac but it's nice to hear we'll get to see what some other official people in the industry have on their mind. I think it's a great idea and applaud any of the industry people who do participate.

Basically like your guys panel at Otakon except we'll be sitting up on the stage and you'll be sitting in the audience. Does this mean we also need to give you guys cool swag for good questions? Wink

Zac wrote:
I'm happy people aren't shedding tears over the Rant section's departure. I was worried people would want it back.

Personally I still kinda miss it but I understand why you took it out. I think this new section, especially with the participation of other industry people, could turn out to be a better section so I see it as a fair trade.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
Good answer on the first question there. I don't even want to imagine the disasterous consequences if anime endings, couplings, etc. were done the way "the fans" wanted it. Not to mention the fact that it's impossible to please all the fans anyway.

I really like the Hey, Answerfans! idea. This should be quite interesting. Smile
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Leave the insults at the door, if your only response is to fire off a one liner insult then don't bother responding. One liners are bad enough but acceptable at times, but when it adds nothing to the discussion aside from name calling then that isn't acceptable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:46 am Reply with quote
I love how its a "flame war" when its actually just me getting flamed.

I guess theres nothing more for me to really say here short of resorting to insults and turing this into an actual flame war so I'm gonna end it here.

EDIT: thankyou Keonyn. Though many people may disagree with my comments, flaming is uncalled for.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I love how its a "flame war" when its actually just me getting flamed.

I guess theres nothing more for me to really say here short of resorting to insults and turing this into an actual flame war so I'm gonna end it here.

EDIT: thankyou Keonyn. Though many people may disagree with my comments, flaming is uncalled for.

You have done a good enough job of flaming already yourself. I'm going to ask a question of you and I'm being serious; why do you post here? As in the answerman thread. Week in and week out pretty much all you do is whine, complain, and insult Zac. If you have such a problem why do you keep reading the damn column and then even going so far as to post about it? You make it seem like you're only goal is to complain about the column and Zac. You seem to have this huge personal issue with him, as if he came to your house and kicked your damn dog across the room almost. If you think professionally he's nothing more then a loud mouth idiot why do you 3 out of 4 weeks of the month respond to his column and either insult him or just complain in general? Why do you not just not read the column? You've said multiple times that you won't anymore, or that you're considering just ignoring it etc etc. Yet the next week after you say something along those lines what are you doing.....posting in yet another answerman thread. You and one or two others seem not be happy unless you're complaining about Zac and or his column.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quote
Sorry if I've come across that way. Youre right, lately I have had nothing to say in this forum but complaints. For that reason I will stop reading the column and posting here. (I dont think I've ever said that I would do that before though.)

I guess I've unintentially managed to build up this rebutation that I have a major problem with Zac. I dont, but I guess saying that at this point is useless since I've pissed everyone off. Its probably my own fault too so Im done. Goodbye.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I applaude the call to ban Weird Al music videos. I like the guy. I even just saw him live this past weekend. Yet AMVs cosntantly using his music are cheap. Keyword there, using. They're funny mostly because of the song and not on their own merits. Now sure AMVs are cheap in that they take a popular song and a popular anime and mix them. Yet you have trends like using Weird Al for comedy or Linkin Park for crying emo kid wankfests and it really becomes a cheap gimmick. Another one of those is the cheap AMV Hell knockoffs that just feed the ADD anime fans.

And then there's the anime club comment. I've been involved in my college anime club for the past seven years and now am helping to still run it post-graduate. Anime and anime clubs in that time have changed so damn much it's amazing. Right now meetings are on hiatus and I really am behind on paperwork. (Then again I can't do or sign anything official myself as I'm no longer technically a student, but that's another issue.) Hopefully we can get out club back on track at the end of the summer and set up stuff for incoming freshmen and all the beginning of the year campus club promotions. I've noticed a definite lack of interest.

Then again, there's a whole separate unofficial anime club that pretty much shows just fansubs even of licensed stuff or old stuff or plays video games. I'm sure they cut into our club though we tend to have somewhat of a relationship. Right now due to former club leaders being in Japan the current president is from that unofficial club.

It really is weird trying to get people interested in watching anime in a social setting. I swear most anime fans suffer from Aspsergers and prefer to watch stuff alone in their room. The Hikkamori syndrome is real and the lack of involvement in anime clubs is a sure sign.

Then again my tastes differ greatly from most anime fans. I prefer stuff like Mamoru Oshii or Satoshi Kon, more art house anime. Meanwhile most fans prefer more childish fare like shonen series or comedies or.. lord help us.. generic moe series like Lucky Star. If that crap is all people at anime clubs want? Then what's the point?

I dunno. Another friend who was running the club pointed out that we could help point out older series that newer fans are unaware of. That our anime club could help point out forgotten series and cult shows. Stuff like Escaflowne or Gunsmith Cats barely gets a mention with everyone at cons talking about Bleach or Haruhi. We tried having one of the two days a week show older and less known anime as a program highlighting lesser known shows. Hopefully that can work out once we get club rolling again.

..and in reply to the flake...

Quote:
OK this is my rant answerman. I am so sick of these american anime companys dubbing anime shows all it does is ruin them. for cripes sake people the original show is in JAPANESE whuy would you not watch it in JAPANESE???!!! watching it in americanized english is just stupid so lets face the facts: american anime companys suck.

Yeah, because we all know the Japanese watch their anime in Japanese with English subtitles. Oh wait.. no they don't. They actually understand the language being spoken. Dear crap I hate anime fan logic... or lack there of.
Coal`

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
O.o
Ookay...
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:

Then again my tastes differ greatly from most anime fans. I prefer stuff like Mamoru Oshii or Satoshi Kon, more art house anime. Meanwhile most fans prefer more childish fare like shonen series or comedies or.. lord help us.. generic moe series like Lucky Star. If that crap is all people at anime clubs want? Then what's the point?

One reason is that action shows and comedies are often more entertaining when viewed in a group setting than alone; the excitement/laughter feeds your own and makes the experience more enjoyable. That's not true of heavy, introspective stuff. (And before getting too dismissive of entire swathes of anime because they're not to your taste, don't forget that the oeuvre of Oshii includes four years of directing a shonen romantic comedy...)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I applaude the call to ban Weird Al music videos. I like the guy. I even just saw him live this past weekend. Yet AMVs cosntantly using his music are cheap. Keyword there, using. They're funny mostly because of the song and not on their own merits. Now sure AMVs are cheap in that they take a popular song and a popular anime and mix them. Yet you have trends like using Weird Al for comedy or Linkin Park for crying emo kid wankfests and it really becomes a cheap gimmick. Another one of those is the cheap AMV Hell knockoffs that just feed the ADD anime fans.

I just wanted to add one small though to the AMV discussion. Not all are "cheap" pointless dribble...though a lot do fall into that category. The people just mash their favorite shonen jump with over done songs you hear over and over again. There are some good ones out there though. One example I just saw recently was an AMV of Desert Punk set to Chop Suey by System of a Down. There's some nice non-Linkin emo for an example. The lip flaps even matched quite often in this one and it was really well done. Just boils down to there being 2 groups of AMV people really as I see it. The lazy kids just making an AMV to be cool or funny and just shove their favorite title everywhere, and the people who take the time to try and do something interesting and not just slap some crap together.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
It really is weird trying to get people interested in watching anime in a social setting. I swear most anime fans suffer from Aspsergers and prefer to watch stuff alone in their room. The Hikkamori syndrome is real and the lack of involvement in anime clubs is a sure sign.

I wouldn't mind watching anime with a group of people. It would be a great way for me to meet new people. I only reason I watch it alone is because none of my family care very much for annie-may (as they say it). And my brothers comments kind of take away form the enjoyment.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I've never understood why those Chuck Norris "jokes" were so popular in the first place. I've chuckled at a couple of them, but they get real old, real fast. I guess its because they are dumb and dumb things tend to get popular on teh intarwebs.

Like saying "LOL" and calling it "teh intarwebs"?

Misspelling isn't terribly amusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9