• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter 2012 Anime Season: Postmortem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
This is my list of shows I am very interested in seeing:

Another (Please please please be a good horror show)
Black Rock Shooter (Oh HELL YES to this!)
Gyo (Double HELL YES to this as well)
Kyousogiga

List of shows I wouldn't mind peeking at:

Holy Knight
Nisemonogatari
(haven't seen Bakemonogatari so I should probably watch that first).
Recorder to Randoseru

And shows that I am curious about yet not sure if I can handle more then one episode of either of them:

Kill me Baby (Reading the story/plot of this made me go "WTF?")
Mouretsu Pirates

To me, 2012 is looking pretty promising so far. Hope Crunchyroll or a company like Funimation picks any of these up for streaming (and I pray that someone will license the Gyo OVA since I absolutely loved the manga).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Kyousogiga

It is only a one-off OVA, and it is has already been released by way of fansubs. 'Completely incoherent' is how I would describe it.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Kyousogiga

It is only a one-off OVA, and it is has already been released by way of fansubs. 'Completely incoherent' is how I would describe it.

Oh...what a pity. The art looked really neat. Ah well. Thanks for letting me know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
That list looks kinda incomplete....and I only skimmed through it.

Anyways, what immediately caught my eyes....

Know I'll Definitely Like:
Zero no Tsukaima Final Season, Papa no lu koto o kikinasai(damn that's a mouthful)

Shows Promise so will watch:
Kill Me Baby, Blackrock Shooter(oh please oh please be coherent), Mouretsu Pirates
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
I will certainly watch Natsume Yuujincho Shi. I'm sure that my favourite arcs will be in this season. Cool And I'll have something to look forward to watching every week, once Mawaru Penguindrum is completed.

Nisemonogatari looks interesting, but I haven't seen Bakemonogatari. Maybe I'll watch it, once I've completed Toward the Terra.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Milky Holmes 2 - REALLY? That crap actually sold well enough to warrant a sequel?

High School DxD - Oh look, generic harem shit. Next!

Natsume Yuujinchou - Oh good, something I'll actually enjoy!

Listen to Me, Girls - Yeah, I smell Kodomo no Jikan Mk II here.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay,... in the middle of the 2nd week...
Caught a big bunch of them...

In short, a whole lot of mediocre, only a couple sequels stand out to me .

Amagami SS+
If you liked the first one all right, it won't hurt to watch this one too... not that it promises to add anything of substance to what has already happened.

Another
Dropped a couple minutes into the 2nd episode. Between the music- the occasional complete lack of music and the dolls, you know this is a very Spooooooooooooky show... what I can't figure out is why I should give a crap.

Bodacious Space Pirates
It looks well crafted so far, should be a minor highlight of the season.

Brave10
Dropped. Continuing my low tolerance of action shows. Maybe I'll try it when it's done and I can go through the show with less effort.

Daily Lives of High School Boys
A lot of the humor falls flat but when something is funny it usually make for a big belly laugh.

High School DxD
Dropped. The uncensored versions I've been seeing offers nice service, and with the larger cast it looks like more variety of girls is coming... but it's not enough, it's the type of show I don't want to bother with- resurrectted boy fighting demons/monsters- I couldn't even get through Buso Renkin and that's supposed to be a good example of such a show.

Inuboku Secret Service
I've only sen the first, but I like what I've seen so far, some nice elements coming together. Nothing special, but it looks like an easy watch.

Kill Me Baby (Baby, Please Kill Me!)
Barely funny enough to keep me watching for a bit longer.

Knight in the Area
By the time it's clear as to whether or not the show can successfully exceed its cliched beginnings I'll be more than half through it, so I'll probably watch the whole thing.

Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne

Might drop it for now to marathon it later, but even though it's full of a been-there done-that vibe it looks like it could be good.

Listen To Me Girls, I'm Your Father!
The set-up is taking a bit long, but they've teased what the core of the show, the slightly ecchi hijinks of a college kid living with, and being responsible for, the young girls. we'll see if can stay away from being too crude/

Natsume Yūjin-Chō 4

Always good. Nice that they started it off with the continuing story-line, promises to have at least one more showdown with the villain guy and it seems Natsume is having a bit more trouble with some nastier yokai... or at least he's not trying to fight back in these early episodes.

Nisemonogatari

So what if it's taking it's time to get to the "action"- the harem interactions are great.

Poyopoyo

Cute short, I like cat humor.

Recorder and Randsell
about as hilarious and innovative as the studio's previous short series, Morita-san,... meaning it's not really either, but it's inoffensive and goes by quickly.

Senki Zesshō Symphogear
...it's bad that I can't remember if I watched all of the second episode, isn't it? Dropping it. It's like the Cop Rock of invading alien anime shows.

Thermae Romae

and this was on too. If you didn't watch it, you didn't miss much.

Waiting For The Summer / Ano Natsu de Matteru

Please Teacher condensed to the sweetness, apparently minus the two big gimmicks of that show. It could really work, good team behind it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I am actually fairly impressed with the winter lineup so far. Although there isn't nothing that great it's still better than the lackluster fall line-up.

Another

I love this series right off the bat, it has a sense of mystery/horror mixed in that seeps right with me. The animation is top notch and just wonderful to look at.. I hope that build up off so far from the end of ep 2 pays off.
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Very well animated series despite some the tropes/cliches it does has. It is defiantly worth a watch if you like shows like please teacher/twins, ano hana and toradora.
Listen to Me, Girls, I’m Your Father!
I will take this series for what it is. Despite some "creepy elements that don't really bother me to much" It's not that bad for romance comedy/slice of life show. If this was a shojo anime or key/visual arts series would any really care about the 14/19 old relation ship?
Familiar of Zero F
If any of you know personally know me then you would know I love this franchise. Despite all of the flaws it has, i love all of the characters, setting and tsundre hijinks. Although if none of you have never watched this series before or know none of the characters don't even bother.
Recorder and Randsell
Not really great or bad just a nice filler show to watch while waiting for something else to come on. Hell the show is broken up in three minute acts so it's not demanding on a person's attention. I actually love the synopsis for the series "the younger brother is tall and trapped in a adults body while it's vice verusa for his sister".
High School DxD
Welp it's a harem series with over the top nudity, boobs, oppai, knockers.. ahem yeah. It's not worth anyone's time if you do not like this type of genre of show set-up just pass on it completely. However for a deviant like me.. I find it to be a nice guilty pleasure to kill some brain cells with.

Small update.. Well lets just say the pay off for another did pay off jeez.. i never expected that or maybe i did but the level of detail for the kill was just a bit high. All I have to say is this.. I will never run with an umbrella again..

Edit two: nico nico and funi will be using the censored broadcast for high school dxd so there really isn't a point in watching it.
I have others that I plan on watching but i am just waiting for the the third episode to come out so I can Marathon them and Moretsu Pirates and The Knight in the Area are on that list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Everything's had it's obligatory five episodes now, so to summarise:

Ano Natsu de Matteru- Enjoyable, apparently shares many strong resemblances to Onegai Teacher, but I haven't seen that so can't possibly comment. It's a pretty good looking, typical romance/SoL affair with likeable characters. It's the only full-blown romance show I've picked up this season so there's absolutely no doubt I'll see this one through. Story is interesting enough (if not entirely original, but then again, what is these days?) and I actually like both leads, a rarity for me. Good stuff.

Another is a must-watch on my list. It's been annoying people with it's pacing, lack of action and (for want of a better word) flatness but for some reason those elements actually compliment the gorgeous visuals and creepy score for me. I like that it's all whispers in the hallway, people not telling the protagonist what's going on and all that. Since episode 3 things have been occuring with more frequency and episode 5 has its first big reveal, so it's appeasing some of the haters. I say first big reveal, since there's bound to be more later on. The mystery is pretty well done and the only major reservation I can think of for the series is Ali Project's involvement.

Aquarion EVOL is based on something else I haven't seen, but I've been assured I don't need to watch the original run to get what's going on here. I think that much has become obvious anyway, since it's pretty easy to keep up with as of episode 6. It's a good looking show and the character designs appeal to me. The main premise is robots powered by the unison of men and women. So, orgasms, then. Good soundtrack, well animated, passable story. Entertaining stuff thus far.

I possibly would have dropped Area no Kishi if it hadn't gotten back to the actual football side of things this week. The first part of the series is given over to dramatic fluff that wasn't especially engaging but I think it was probably necessary for framing the narrative for all that's going to follow from here on out. It's not a great show, but so few football anime come along that I'm compelled to watch regardless.

Bakuman 2 has been my rock throughout the past couple of seasons. Whilst other series have come and gone, and the quality of said series has dipped and peaked, Bakuman is just consistently good every week. Not exceptionally good, mind. It's the one show I can put on and just know I'll enjoy the episode. The plot has its highs and its lows (currently on a mini-high, the second Niizuma manga is interesting stuff) but it's never reached the point where I've wanted to stop watching.

This week the new Black Rock Shooter started, and it's far too early to form proper opinions yet. Immediate impressions are mostly direct comparisons to the OVA, specifically that the animation has taken a hit and the story seems more worthwhile so far. But yeah, too early for proper opinions yet, only included it here for completists sake.

Guilty Crown and I have a love/hate relationship. Each new episode is a complete gamble, which works for me some weeks and completely fails to appeal other weeks. There was an opportunity after the first half to really pick up the pace, but it seemingly failed to do so. Hopefully now, afterspoiler[ the death of a 'main' character], it'll finally live up to the potential it occasionally hinted at during the first half of the series. It's still nicely animated, though I think I noticed a drop in quality after the halfway point. I may just be imagining it.

My first sacrifice of the new season was Kill Me Baby, which I dropped after just three episodes. I decided I'd seen enough in those three episodes to tell what the gags were going to be about for the whole series. There's very little variation in the jokes or punchlines, and some of the sketches were dragged out far too long. I think I had one or two laugh out loud moments, but for a series that's a bonafide comedy, one or two moments over three episodes really isn't good enough.

Last Exile 2 is another carry-over from the Fall season, and it's another one that's stuttered for me a bit. I was initially drawn in because of the animation and the airship battles, plus being part of the Last Exile franchise, it promised a storyline of epic proportions. The animation is still good, and there are still battles, and the story is pretty epic in proportion, but somewhere along the way the character development fell by the wayside. Fam is not a good protagonist, and my favourite moments whilst watching are scenes where she's not present. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the girl or anything. It's just when she's around you can usually tell how things are going to go beforehand. She's pretty single-minded and simple. I don't particularly like a lot of the characters in this series and I guess I'm still watching out of obligation at this point.

Mirai Nikki is pretty awful. I see a lot of love for it on the forums but very few people justifying what makes it a good show for them. I can think of plenty of reasons that make it a bad show for me, what with the shallow characters, the horrible whiny protagonist, the clumsy plot devices and story that has more holes than a string vest. The animation isn't great and the only reason I continue to watch it to see just how badly a good idea can be executed. It arrived with a lot of promise and it quickly became a bland, average show with tacked on shocks and gimmicks for the people who think that schoolkids killing people is 'cool'. It's not all doom and gloom though; KLAC is a regular poster in the series thread. It scores points for that alone.

Mouretsu Pirates has been a pleasant surprise. I wasn't sold after the first few episodes, since it was a ton of *dialogue*, and this is a pirate show, right? Where's the splicing of the mainbrace and the shivering of the timbers? But once the girls got into space I saw it as something else: A really quite smart show that doesn't need to be flashy to keep you engrossed. In retrospect, the pacing has probably been spot on, with the revelation that it's probably going to be a two cours show, the amount of progression we've had in these first five episodes seems about right. The lead is easy to like and there's a notable absence of cliché and tired tropes. Really enjoying this show.

I don't see what all the fuss is over Nisemonogatari. As far as I can see, people are up in arms about the level of service it offers vs Bakemono and also the lack of pacing so far vs Bakemono. Well, the things I personally enjoyed most about Bakemonogatari were the SHAFT artwork and direction and the snappy dialogue coupled with good characterisation. Guess what? All of this is present in Nisemonogatari, so I have no issues at all with the show. To be fair, a lot of people came into it with its predecessor on a very high pedestal indeed, so the criticism was probably inevitable. Whatever guys, it works for me.

Rinne no Lagrange is my favourite show of this new season, and it's one of those happy finds, since I picked it up on a whim and the synopsis sounded pretty bland. Where this show succeeds, and where so many others fail, is having such a great lead character in Madoka. She's not emo, she doesn't complain about how hard her life is or at how crappy the situations are that she finds herself in. Rather, she embraces all that and just runs with it. She's fiercely independent with a strong sense of local pride, and she's selfless to a fault. Because such a strong lead is established, it means the other characters are good foils for her, and things that would normally irritate me (read: Lan's entire personality) actually make me chuckle, because it's alright, Madoka's got this one, guys. The story makes no pretence at being original but it is well executed and anything but boring. The animation is pretty good too, and the soundtrack pushes all the right buttons for me.

On the flipside of the scale, we have the final show I'm watching, Senki Zesshō Symphogear. Every area that Lagrange excels at, Symphogear consistently falls flat. It tries to take itself seriously and I think that's its main downfall. Almost every character is a rehash of something we've seen before. The drama is anything but dramatic. The character designs are off-putting to the point of distraction (the bad guys look like they came out of jelly moulds) and the 'fighting evil with the power of music' device is laughable, especially when you see the attempt to sync the insert songs to the action scenes. Not even Aoi Yūki can save this one for me, and I've dropped it as of episode 5.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm only watching Natsume. I tried out Rinne and Miniskirt Pirates, but those were so full of generic anime inc cliches and tropes that I couldn't get past 1,5 episoes of each.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Postmortem start

Some other people have been posting their final thoughts of the season in the "What are you watching" thread starting around page 674

Early predictions were right- this wasn't a very impressive season for me. Not a single non-sequel show that premiered this season rated above a "good".

as always, basically from my faves to those that weren't.

VERY GOOD

Nisemonogatari

A slight step down from Bakemonogatari, but it was a different show than the original and still pretty cool. The crazy design sense, the witty patter, and even their brand of of weird self-conscious and maybe self-derogatory fan service was all to my liking.

Natsume Yūjin-Chō 4
I keep loving this show, not much to say. Sweet, yet still pulls off moments of genuine spookiness. This season focused even more on Natsume's childhood and I thought it was very effective but still managed more than one "continuing" story regarding the "exorcist" people that sometimes cross his path.

Chihiyafuru
Others praise this show much more than I do but there's no doubt it was a quality show with excellent characters and good card-game action.

*special mention for this season's episodes of Sket Dance. Usually the series runs at a steady "good" level but this time around it contained the Birthday and re-Birthday story-line that told the back story of Bossun and managed to be the only time this season I was seriously itching for the next episode of an anime to air.

GOOD

Daily Lives of High School Boys
There are numerous very funny bits in this show that I absolutely loved, but it doesn't quite make the VG category because their ratio to the mediocre and unfunny bits was just too low.

Waiting For The Summer / Ano Natsu de Matteru

I like what was tried here, take a taboo-teasing fan-service sci-fi comedy with multiple things going on, Please Teacher, and pare it down to its emotional and romantic core. It was more natural and easier to relate to, but there was defin itely a little something missing. Still nice though, and I guess those without the previous of PT didn't see much problem with it.

Bodacious Space Pirates
Its fun. A recommended watch but I don't understand the excessive praise.

Poyopoyo
For a short gag series they really pack a lot of humor into a coup[le minutes a week (unlike the other short I watched this season).

Inuboku Secret Service
It was nice, not much happened, but I'd watch more if more was made- they might be able to improve on it now that the core relationship is mostly sorted.

Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne
At tikmes it was kind of a K-on for mecha drivers. Sweet girls bonding at their school girls/robot fights. But the dramatic parts were pretty good too. Presumably the bulk of the story will actually take place when the show continues in the summer.

Listen To Me Girls, I'm Your Father!
It pulled off a show with some heart while still delivering some questionable loli-teasing to those that like that.

DECENT

Amagami SS+
More of the same from the previous season- which is much of the problem with the series. Except for the Rihiko story (which was left unresolved in the first series) most of the series involves de-volving the couples relationships and repeating the same things that happened before with slight variation. It doesn't matter that each previous story ended with the pairs being sweetly intimate with each other- in this one the guy was back to his voice-cracking flustered behavior.

Thermae Romae
If it were longer it would be a complete failure, but it had its charms.

So-So

Knight in the Area
I often can't believe I haven't dropped this, the animation and art is poor, the characters are cliched, it rips off better shows liberally, much of it just doesn't make sense... yet I'm still watching it? It's it so bad its good? Am I just a sucker for the plucky band of kids doing their "best"? Is it just because there's nothing else on on Friday?

Recorder and Randsell
They keep repeating the same damn piss-poor running gag, and the rest isn't that great either. It's short though. sometimes it'll get a chuckle.

DROPPED

Kill Me Baby (Baby, Please Kill Me!)
I've seen half of it, it's not bad. This would have made a very good short gag series of 3-12 minute long lengths. But 22 minutes is somehow just too long to commit to such middling humor.

Another- Its improved reception from some watchers intrigued me but I'm still staying away. It's just not my thing, and those early negative reactions were really strong.

Brave10, High School DxD, Senki Zesshō Symphogear - If you don't have anything good to say...

May come back to...

Future Diary, Guilty Crown, Black Rock Shooter and particularly the Last Exile series, which I waiting to finish to watch. I seem to prefer marathoning action shows.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
I only watched 6 shows, but they were six pretty good ones, I think.

1A: Waiting in the Summer - I liked it a whole lot, but with it being another Tatsuyuki Nagai work, I was hoping to like it more. It just seemed to lack the magic Toradora and AnoHana had. That said, I still found all the characters pretty interesting, some more than others. Our main two are the most exciting, but they're solid and are surrounded by some cool characters who make them look good by association. A lot of people obsess over how they think the sci-fi elements stick out, but I greatly disagree. I'll probably go into more detail if I decide to read the review, but my basic argument is that the sci-fi elements are catalysts. You aren't supposed to focus on the fuse of a firework burning, you're supposed to be in awe of the fireworks in the sky. You don't get those pretty lights unless you have a fire, and that's what the sci-fi elements are. It's how the relationships and bonds react to the sci-fi elements that everyone should be talking about, not how they think the sci-fi sticks out too much.

1B: Black Rock Shooter - People were ragging on it pretty hard before it even aired, but I think it ended up being one of the better shows of the last few years. I was simply drawn in by the very first second. They dynamic between the real world and the BRS world was always so mysterious and it bugged me that I couldn't quite figure out the connection between the two. When it was finally laid out completely, I was a little surprised since I didn't think they were that closely related. And when the other plot twists like why spoiler[Saya was doing what she was with the children] and that spoiler[Yuu was actually Strength from the BRS world] were also great. Despite only being eight episodes it covered a lot and wrapped up really nicely.

It also has the best usage of total CG that I've seen in anime (though the Berserker vs Archer fight in Fate/Zero was stupendous as well). Granted, it did have Hiroyuki Imaishi at the reigns of that world's animation, so it was bound to be spectacular, but even I was surprised at how great he made it look. I can't wait to see his next directorial work since he'll probably definitely try to incorporate some CG in it. Maybe Panty and Stocking 2 will have a tron-like episode.

2: High School Boys - YES YES YES YES YES. This show ended being exactly how I wanted it to be. A show about high school boys should be about how "off" they are and how awkward situations with girls can be, and it delivered in full. It had it's ups and downs, but it was never unfunny or a bore. Also, to bring up what someone else said, for a show about high school boys, it sure does have some of the best female characters. Yassan, Ringo, the Funky Trio, and the sisters were AWESOME! Even the bit characters like the girl who played pranks on the boys on the train were great.

3: Nisemonogatari - Not nearly as good as its predecessor, but still really fun and interesting; it had the same spirit, I think. I just don't think the story structure works spread out over more than the two or three episodes, but Karen Bee was 6 and Tsukihi Phoenix was 5, and there were times where they felt long. Still, though, it was full of that NisiOisi back and forth that I love and Arararararagi was still awesome. Not as much Hitagi or Kanbaru as I would've liked, but Shinobu more than made up for it. I'm now impatiently waiting for more of the Monogatari series, Kizumonogatari especially.

4: Highschool DxD - I think this turned out much better than anyone expected it to, especially since almost everyone wrote it off 5 minutes in. Now, I think people who did write it off were justified in doing so, but I was willing to pushing through because I saw that it could be interesting, and I was rewarded. Now, I do watch a lot of ecchi and fanservice shows, but if a show is bad, I'm more than willing to drop it; it takes more than boobs to keep me on board. Rias is a very interesting character and is the main reason I stuck around. She's not a tsundere, a yandere, or any of those other troupes and is actually quite well-rounded, making for nice female lead. When she starts to realize how she feels about Issei she's very calm and level-headed about it. She doesn't avoid him, throw her self at him, and she doesn't get super girly when he's around, she's, like I said, calm about. She does clearly start to favor him and tease him a bit more, but I think every female lead in a harem should act like Rias.

Now, the rest of the cast is pretty typical, but I think they're only knee deep in cliches as opposed to up to their necks. Okay, Asia is about shoulder deep in cliches, but everyone else is only in up to their knees. Most of the episodes were amusing stand alones with the characters interacting, but when time started dwindling down and they needed an ending, they picked a really good way to go out. The final two episodes were very good because Issei didn't just become a badass. He had to spoiler[sacrifice his left arm] and use every bit of training he had to even get to Phenex's level and even then he had to resort to sly tactics. Also, they spoiler[kissed]. I shouldn't be that excited over it, but with this being anime and all, I can't help but be excited when the main couple spoiler[lock lips].

5: PapaKikki - This was the most average show I watched. It started out pretty meh, but it took some good, emotional turns and touched upon area most shows don't, and I really appreciated it for that. Overall, though, I just felt those emotional turns were only pretty good instead of astounding or anything notable, with a possible exception being the scene when spoiler[Sora had to explain to Hina that their mom and dad weren't coming back]. I think, perhaps, if it hadn't set itself up as being so goofy and fanservice-y in the first few episodes I would've liked the characters more and I would've felt more for them. I really think all that silly fanservice with panties and bathroom stuff capped my emotions and held me back from getting more into it. Still, though, it was a good show.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen the end to Mirai Nikki, but I can already tell you that I think it's a trainwreck and is terrible. I didn't start feeling this way until about episode 15, and by that point I figured I should stick with it. Besides, I want to see how it ends.
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I haven't seen the end to Mirai Nikki, but I can already tell you that I think it's a trainwreck and is terrible. I didn't start feeling this way until about episode 15, and by that point I figured I should stick with it. Besides, I want to see how it ends.

I know the feeling. I myself do not quite understand why I'm still watching the show. Guess I just want to know. But that wasn't the case for Guilty Crown and Phi Brain, both of which I dropped even though I've watched past episode 15. Sometimes an anime just can get more and more disappointing.

I watched fewer shows this season, I believe. I didn't watch any that were sequels of anime, mainly because I haven't watched those animes (besides Prince of Tennis. Sports anime have free passes).

Area no Kishi: This show started off way too dramatic, which is already quite overused in sports anime. Then it focused on soccer plays, which I like. For some reason, the more ridiculously good a player is, the more I like watching. I like my cliched sports anime. But this anime ain't something I'd recommend for someone who wants to watch soccer.

Brave 10: Another show set in the past, but oh well. The show overall is forgettable. Plus, the main male character wasn't very interesting anymore after a few episodes. I wouldn't say the anime had a good climax in its 12 episodes. It's bearable to watch, but don't expect much.

Inu x Boku SS: This one I liked. It disturbed me quite a bit when I learned that Ririchiyo and Miketsukami had a 7 year age difference, but I can let that slide. Sometimes Ririchiyo's narration annoyed me, but overall I liked the show. I especially liked the chibi versions of the characters, and Miketsukami's ridiculous admiration for Ririchiyo.

Papa no...: The title's too long. But besides that, I enjoyed the show. It's quite hard to believe that Miu is 10 but Hina being 3 is believable. If anything my only complaint about this show is Sora's infatuation with Sekai. It was disconcerting for me. But the overall plot is sweet, and the characters were funny.

Prince of Tennis II: Again. I repeat. I like watching sports anime, no matter how grossly cliched they are. Team spirit guys!

Didn't watch (despite good recomms): I didn't want to watch the Daily Lives of Highschool Boys after my disastrous attempt to watch Kimi to Boku (no way I'm risking that). Another is well... more of horror, which I wasn't quite up to yet.

Dropped: Highschool DxD annoyed me to hell I dropped it after two episodes (kind of like C3. And apparently the show made a turnaround like C3 did as well.). Rec. & Rand: oh my God! Three minutes was all it took for me to hate it! The jokes were not funny, the idea of the guy being mistaken for sexually harassing young girls pisses me off to no end. It's not conceivable! It made me want to punch my screen. Period. If you liked this anime, I'm sorry. But it was not my taste. At all.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Since I only finished one show I will talk about that.

The only show I finished was Listen to Me Girls I am your father. I enjoyed it and it become a favorite of mine real early on. I some how though it might just aimed solely at the otaku but I was happy that was not totally the case.

Hold:

BSP: I will just wait for Sentai's release then marathon it.

Lagrange: Now that it is over I should probably watch the rest of it before the summer season starts.

Dropped:

High School DxD: Hated the first episode, will wait for the uncut version to come out before I watch more of it.

Kill Me Baby: Not funny

Recorder to Randoseru: could not get into it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
Didn't watch (despite good recomms): I didn't want to watch the Daily Lives of Highschool Boys after my disastrous attempt to watch Kimi to Boku (no way I'm risking that). Another is well... more of horror, which I wasn't quite up to yet.
You should not have worried, yes Kimi to Boku can be hard to get back from, perhaps why I was even scared.

I don't think I can really rank them, so consider them in no particular order.

Danshi Koukousei no Nich (Dailly life of Highschool Boys)
When I heard the name and saw the picture I was put off, I have accidently watched enough BL shows to not want to start another, but is definetly not what this show was. Although the tone could be a bit hit and miss (I disliked the OP song) the gags were funny, it was rather surprising the amount of times I was surprised by the punchline, but they always made some sort of sense.

Inu x Boku Secret Service
Most people who watched it will tell you that plot was forgetable, I guess I have slight disagreement as although I guess that is correct, it was mostly a vehicle for the characters, which I would say were some of my favourite this season. The show had an unfair advantage with me as with them being youkai, though it did take an effort to say they were more than that with the first episode hiding it until the end. I think it had an effective use of changing character models (chibifying) for use of gag, it did try to be serious at times, though it was kind of put off by the rest of the show. I would probably say one of the best tsundere leads I have seen (she is different to what we ussually have)

Black Rock Shooter
Over a time that I had seen fanart of the character that I had interest in it, though I stupedly took others thoughts of the OVA before watching it to heart and was wary of this. But I really enjoyed first episode and watched the OVA after that, it can be confusing but it is the type of drama I love. I would probably consider it similar to Madoka, difference being that the otherworld stuff can be hard to understand, and normal world feeling a lot like just girl drama. This would be one of the shows I most want a release for DVD so that I can get a better look at some of the beautiful visuals, and I think that another watch would actually help the series.

Another
The horror anime that divided people here on the forums, it was mysterious, gruesome, and depending on much you let it lead you through, a good ride. Some might complain about the models and animation, but I think that it was a necessary evil for the horror. I guess I expected to get bored and leave like I did with Shiki, but I felt invested in this, getting teased about the mystery, false leads, reveals that were undoubtedly followed by some event. High praises for being able to set up an effective horror atmosphere, which is one of the hardest things to do well in anime, which is why we have so few. Criticism for that one reveal, it is ok to give false leads, but hiding others with dirt tricks is not good, it made it look like they did not have confidence in their mystery.

Ano Natsu de Matteru (waiting in the Summer)
I was not familiar with Please Teacher so I had the feeling was missing out on a few things, but regardless it was fun. Although I would say that there was not a lot that was special, I would note this the series that has had me feeling the most nostalgia now that it is done, I would probably put that down to some quality that is hard to put a finger on. It was not the funiest, not the best characters (although Remon was awesome), I guess there was not much competition for romance and it did earn some points for somewhat resolving its secret crushes.

Listen to me Girls I am Your Father!
I guess it came off as my pick of the season, I find a cute show that has mild controversial elements to be one of my favourite. Reasons to watch just need to be Hina and Raika, adorable children can be especially hard to be done by adult voice actors, but Hina was just adorable, and Raika I would say was perfectly designed to appeal to us, not that she is like some standard copy, she is fairly unique. Most importantly for this series is that I laughed and cried, I cared about the characters, how they each dealt with the situation, the struggle and the love. You could call the ending out on being a bit atypical of the sort of thing we usually see when it looked like it might take a different route, but you cannot help but love it.

Nisemonogatari
The unfortunate thing for this series is that it was to be compared with Bakemonogatari, treated as being among the best in recent years by fans, Nisemonogatari could not live up to the expectations which made it look poorer than it actually was. It seemed instead to showcase characters as well as it could, and try to have a message about fakes, it is actually rather amazing when you realise how subtle bit there was from some pages in the thread. Truth is that there was one really good part, which would be Oshino Shinobu who we were teased about quite a bit earlier, and probably gained quite a bit of interest in the upcoming movie.

Rinne no Lagrange
What to say about this, I praise the character Lan and Muginami, Lan for actually being the type of character to try hard and emotional rather than just being emotionless character she looked like, and that Muginami was not the dumb character she looks like. Perhaps it is that there are little surprises mixed in with cg fighting, even Madoka was cool her little trait became likeable after a little while, and you can respect her. Waiting for when they release the second season (?) later on.

Brave 10
Nothing special, but I found it worth a watching, I did not really get bored, actually look forward to it at times.

High School DxD
Low expectations had me expecting an ecchi show like this would have me dropping it like I had with other shows, but I did not. I admit that I had fun with the boobs and such (I am a guy after all), but that is not usually enough to hold my interest, actually it can gross me out. While I did get sick of some of the main character perverseness, other character and what resembled a plot (fighting and that one hot fallen angel) managed to push it up, like Daimao but you actually got to see stuff here. In truth the fact it only went for 12 episodes kept it safe from me dropping it, perhaps good in small doses, wouldn’t mind seeing more later.

Zero no Tsukaima F
The final season, that like Shana’s took a step what was in previous seasons and came across as being not quite right for the series. But if it provided anything it was an end for the series, and that itself should be enough for fans.

Amagami SS plus
More of the same from the first season, things moved a bit from when he got with each girls from first season arcs, but not enough to meet my expectations.

Baby, Please Kill Me!
Probably one of the most dropped series this season because of its gags that just did not hit hard enough. Chances are you can get bored and the jokes are not incredibly funny. But I laughed at a decent amount, and I had fun thinking back later about the different segments, Oribe Yasuna’s stupid antics could act as a positive, or a negative. Could be fine if you turned your brain off, I found the ED song to be pretty catchy that I would often move my foot to it. Also Rie Kugimiya on helium.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear
From first episode it felt like a vehicle to sell music and figures, and that has undercut the entire series. On the other hand I did enjoy some of the drama, music in the fights, actually I did enjoy the music I guess I was a bit of a sucker for some of the big fights. Though some of the big fights were cool, it has not quite been as good as some recent shows graphically, but it worked itself up with the music. I am a bit put off by how the ending worked into the begining of the show, but not enough to ruin anything, I think the show wants enough interest to continue on.

Holy cow 14 series, that was difficult and time consuming to think over, brain overloading from remembering and making somewhat coherent thoughts. Did not include Recorder to Randoseru as a couple minute an episode show that keeps doing the same joke hardly feels like a series.

Continuing with:
Bodacious Space Pirates
What a name, drew in people for reasons unknown (perhaps just the idea of space pirates), great deal of complaints that it was moving slowly at first, but it wanted us to know that our Marika deserved her hat. I have been most interested in the universe, with a few characters, arcs so far have been rather absent of much action, but somehow actually able to make their actions in the bridge feel exciting, the second half will be important.

EDIT: updated Symphogear upon completion

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5