• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-02-01]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Coming in late in the game...

I used to be one of those kids who wanted to get an anime show made. I would still like to get an anime show made. But then I realized that 1) the Japanese (anime industry) socially equate to weak sauce and 2) this is not the perfect time to put anything into motion as long as "failing" becomes the new iPod.

The Answerman speaks about YouTube... All I gotta say is: Heaven forbid.

Heaven forbid that somebody comes from out of the blue and (despite ripping off tons and tons of movies, music videos, anime, et al; copyright infringement be damned) becomes more popular than what the media industry can actually sit down and create.

Everyone's suing YouTube out of the fear that someone more creative than them would keep them from paying for their big houses in their sub-suburbs.

As for the endings of anime...

You can go to a McDonalds et al and order a Fish Fillet (with mayo and lettuce) without the mayo and with tomato and mustard.

Yet you can't go to the creators of "Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei;" ask them to remove the suicidal teacher and that ugly-looking image of the manga's creator, and add more Jun Kudou.

Or do we Americans have to do it ourselves; add more spine to characters based on wimpy male leads, create male leads that were nonexistant, and pay royalties to create a "loose adaption?"

"Are you out of your f###in' mind, Nols?! By asking for that, you're playing into 4Kids' hands! You're destroying the original message / intent of the highly-prized original creators of that awesome show! GET A LIFE AND GTFO, LOSER!!"

I'm not asking for a changed message. I'm not asking for the stuff 4Kids did. I'm merely asking that the "weak sause" gets removed when shows like these go through customs.

Edit: Kch! I mispelled "sauce."

Last edited by Tyrenol on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I've got to admit, I'm surprised the Shuffle! response made it into the set. It wasn't particularly well argued, and it came off as "I liked this girl better. The End." discussion.

I also have to wonder if the author played the game at all. (If you have, sorry, but you weren't paying very much attention.) The Shuffle! anime improved upon the original h-game in nearly ever aspect. Kaede's storyline is one of the most boring and uninspired arcs I have ever subjected myself to. The anime added so much depth to her character, that I consider the Shuffle! anime to be one of the finest harem series I've seen in nearly a decade.

The author does point out that he likes Sia the best, but makes no case for her (and it is quite easy to make one for her over Kaede). The anime failed to convey properly the spoiler[existence of Kikyou, leaving her name as only an unattached episode title, not going into her character at all. Only viewers who had played the games would even catch the reference. I didn't until I rewatched Shuffle! after playing the game. If her story arc had been switched with Asa's (who we can recognize would have died without Rin's intervention) the story could have gone much deeper into the loneliness that Kikyou experiences being the hidden personality, and the shy, pure side of her that is hidden by her dramatically more outgoing and forceful appearance. Illustrating why she needed him more than Kaede or Nerine (an equally boring arc), Kikyou needed someone to accept her, a rejected soul. Plus, the realm of the gods is fine with polygamy. Sia and Kikyou would share Rin!]

My point being, harem series will always have an ending you would have preferred (Keitaro x Motoko!) but there's no good way to definitively reason one over another.

Just try to actually make a case while doing it.

And as for Kaede: spoiler[The reason she accepted his choice in the end was the same reason she went from hating him to essentially being his housekeeper/doting slave-wife. She realized he had made the ultimate sacrifice to make her feel better when they were young, and there would never be a way she could make it up to him. More importantly, she should not. He had accepted what he would do the moment he did it. In the anime, their relationship was always more of a brother-sister relationship than that of lovers.]

Last edited by Ryllharu on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Or do we Americans have to do it ourselves; add more spine to characters based on wimpy male leads, create male leads that were nonexistant, and pay royalties to create a "loose adaption?"

Oh man, I read through the first part of that thinking that you were going to make it through a post without bringing up your pet topic.

I got tricked.

I'm pretty sure no one is filing lawsuits against youtube for people being creative, but then again... I don't know what 'sause' is either.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:

The author does point out that he likes Sia the best, but makes no case for her (and it is quite easy to make one for her over Kaede). The anime failed to convey properly the spoiler[existence of Kikyou, leaving her name as only an unattached episode title, not going into her character at all. Only viewers who had played the games would even catch the reference. I didn't until I rewatched Shuffle! after playing the game. If her story arc had been switched with Asa's (who we can recognize would have died without Rin's intervention) the story could have gone much deeper into the loneliness that Kikyou experiences being the hidden personality, and the shy, pure side of her that is hidden by her dramatically more outgoing and forceful appearance. Illustrating why she needed him more than Kaede or Nerine (an equally boring arc), Kikyou needed someone to accept her, a rejected soul. Plus, the realm of the gods is fine with polygamy. Sia and Kikyou would share Rin!]

I've never played the game, but I thought spoiler[Sia really got shafted in the anime. I don't recall her episodes very clearly, but she only got one or two really dealling with her issues and they were sufficiently vague and didn't go into much depth. If they had gone more in depth with her, I might like her more than I do, but I found her to be one of the least interesting characters as a result. That said, while she's less interesting, she's still more likable than Kaede. Rin would have to be nuts to choose Kaede after all that.]
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
It would be funny if no one wrote about Eva because they thought everyone else would. Out of curiosity Zac, how many about Eva did you get (if you answered this elsewhere I missed it)?

As for Chrono Crusade spoiler[I think part of what made it so sad was that they just wait around to die. Even though everyone knows it's gonna happen, you still manage to hold the faintest bit of hope, but you know it's coming. I think this, as opposed to them dying in battle, is the better ending. They at least to get to live together in peace until they die. I rather see them get the happiness they deserve at least for a while instead of falling in battle. ]
vash462

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Let me just say that I'm EXTREMELY glad people like Mr. Loudon don't write for films of any kind.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
With the surprise of no one saying Eva, I'm actually more surprised no one said Berserk. Then again maybe that's because people are still expecting a sequel. That or there probably isn't any sort of ending that could have ended it.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
The best quotes of the column:

Answerman wrote:
They'll be too busy writing slashfic about Mitsubishi being secretly in love with his nemesis, Toyota-kun.

...with the tagline "Which girl would you choose?". Yep, that's pretty much the point of the show. It's like using "Dudes fight in space!" as a tagline for Star Wars.

Loving the sarcastic wit. I'm pleasently surprised when laughter escapes me without any indication that it was about to make a break for it. Much like prison inmates. Very Happy
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
i want to say the overall theme of bebop is tradgedy. it glorified violence easy as it condemns it. perhaps the folly of spikes death (i am of the school of thought that he dies) is that his friends let him go. I suppose thats just how cowboys work, no one ever stopped Shane.

however i don't think there was much of a point in his or julia's death so much as to kill a character off with great cinematic drama.

tl,dr: cowboy bebop wasn't ever about a message so much as entertainment and feeling. cowboy bebop make you feel more than think. if you want both, try Satoshi Kon.

fawhoooosh!
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey answerman have you considered my new anime project pitch?

basically this dude named gaaya is like a guy with a short fuse and a bad childhood and he is thrown into a house with 5 gorgeous women who all love him but he's so mean to them and they have to chase after the (adjective)(noun) together so they have to be together which is hard because gaaya is mean and cold. he also has a year to master his powers or else the world will explode.

also gaaya can transformer into shin gaaya where he is poorly drawn and ass dances all the time.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK!!???

fawhooosh!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
Hey answerman have you considered my new anime project pitch?

basically this dude named gaaya is like a guy with a short fuse and a bad childhood and he is thrown into a house with 5 gorgeous women who all love him but he's so mean to them and they have to chase after the (adjective)(noun) together so they have to be together which is hard because gaaya is mean and cold. he also has a year to master his powers or else the world will explode.

also gaaya can transformer into shin gaaya where he is poorly drawn and ass dances all the time.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK!!???

I'mma call up Sunrise on Monday and hand over this masterpiece! Get ready for superstardom!

As for Evangelion replies to last week's question, I got - I think - one, and couldn't find it again in the pile of emails I got so I may be misremembering. Although a lot of the emails I got started out with some variation on "I bet you thought I was going to write about Evangelion!!".

Personally I think people in general just like End of Evangelion more than they publicly admit, but maybe that's wishful thinking.
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed with people's ideal endings for various shows. I understand that a number of anime end badly but I have to say I like my Evangelion without definite close and I like Bebop to have its fateful atmosphere.

There Will Be Blood probably will win unfortunately. It's just a long, slow and many times pointless character study how can you love this film?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
I don't see how Bebob could have ended any other way really. In all honesty it would have been a disservice to Spike's character and what that character embodied.

Agree with your take on the Oscars though: as much as I want There Will Be Blood to win it, No Country for Old Men is superb as well. Atonement doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell IMO. The only reason it got the nomination was because of the British Academy members, and only about two films have ever won best picture without getting nominated for best director. Its strange, since a month ago most people were predicting it would have an easy win. The real dark horse of the race is Juno, which has the benefit of being a box-office hit and a crowd-pleaser. The theory goes that NCFOM and TWBB could split the "dark and serious" votes and Juno could nab the prize, which wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen (I actually loved Juno, but it clearly isn't in the same league as the other two). That said, I think TWBB is too "weird" for most voters and that NCFOM will win in most categories.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:

There Will Be Blood probably will win unfortunately. It's just a long, slow and many times pointless character study how can you love this film?

I have good taste, what can I say?
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
some more words on bebops ending as i am of the conviction that it's one-nay-the greatest ending an anime has gotten. perhaps a big claim however, alot of shows leave things in the a) neverending category (inuyasha, anyone?) or the b) obscure vague ending (eva, paranoia agent, ect)

Bebop is one of the few to leave little to speculate, just a great peice of entertainment that is in out no strings attached.

sure paranoia agent has a moral and alot of really relevant critique than can be picked apart forever, but bebop is just great. the ending goes out with a literal 'bang' and for that, i can't blame them.

meaningless heart string tugging entertainment. can't be beat kids.

also, thank you answerman for considering my project. because i know your thinking it but to ashamed to ask, yes, there will be a hot springs episode to Super Gaaya Kawaiii Shonen Hour Time.

fawhooosh!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8