• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-02-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
Usually I don't mind them, since they're normally my age and I feel like I've got no right to bother them...

However, I can't stand it when I find the volume of manga i've been waiting so long to buy... and the cover is bent. I'm very picky about the manga I buy, and I always like crisp flat covers with no bends in the spines. *sigh*

At least there aren't many teens who bother to pick up Mushishi. Thank goodness.
Selkie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
I hate it when people do this! I don't mind quick browsing to determine if you want to spend money on a book, but sitting in the aisle and reading the book as if you already own it is just rude. Mad Sometimes, the aisles are so crowded, I just give up and walk away. You'd think the employees would address this issue but they don't seem to care. At least not at the Borders where I shop.

You go Nina! I wish I could take a bat to these "vagrants" as well for ruining so many people's shopping experiences. Razz
zerokiryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
LOL!!

That is sooo true. Every time I go to the Borders here there's at least two people standing in the middle of the aisle reading.

It really gets on my nerves when they sit down and you have to step over them to get to what you want. Evil or Very Mad

Maybe I should follow Nina's course of action... Twisted Evil
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
I actually haven't ever encountered this problem in Borders or Barnes and Nobles stores around my parts, although I have seen it be at least a minor problem elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
I am so grateful that I rarely have to deal with this. And when I do, I'm usually much older than the teener hanging out, so I just have to smile sweetly and say in my best grown-up, librarian's voice: "Could you excuse me for a moment?" and then I look at what I need to look at and go.

Honestly, if you are polite to them, they will move. But it seems to me from reading this thread that not many people bother saying "Excuse me", which perplexes me, lol.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Its weird. At this point, they're annoying and Switchblade girl still gives me the creeps. I too have seen them sleeping in the isle, laying on there stomaches and kicking their legs up.

I hate childern.

Wait, most of them were kids except this one grown man.

Damn rats. But at this point, the store seems to be perfectly fine with them, so what else can i do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
james438

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
The Border's store here in Iowa had this problem. They fixed it by moving the manga section to the front of the store so no more isle readers. Problem solved, mostly. There is still a number of manga, so some of it is in the isle, so there are still isle readers, but less so.

Last edited by james438 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
NeoMaster1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, manga cows grazing away, blocking the gate to the manga farm. Razz

One of the Borders in my city is always jam-packed with grazers. Day or night, they'll block the shelves for you. What makes it even more appalling is that the coffee shop is about 10 yards away, where there's plenty of light, plenty of tables, and even 4 or 5 couches! They just don't get it. Plus, they usually look kinda unkept and smell kinda bad too. You got it right, they do look just like homeless orphans!

Heck, I've previewed entire volumes of manga (although I usually end up buying the volume anyway), but I go to the coffee shop, get a nice hot chai tea and read at a table.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
>D Hahaaaa~

But seriously, I don't know why people in the US complain about it all the time. No one really complains when people stand in the convenience stores to read manga in Asia..... They have big comfy chairs in many bookstores... for a reason? I guess people should actually SIT in the chairs and stop blocking the aisles.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
>D Hahaaaa~

But seriously, I don't know why people in the US complain about it all the time. No one really complains when people stand in the convenience stores to read manga in Asia..... They have big comfy chairs in many bookstores... for a reason? I guess people should actually SIT in the chairs and stop blocking the aisles.

its more of a, i'm buying this and you're putting food stains and stuff on it. I'm sure the people in Asia don't have orange puff dust hands.

And people standing in the way is fine. its just those who lay across the ilse like they're a bridge that bug me. Or those who lean against the shelves and don't move.

--be careful w/ that though, my friend freaked on a girl after she asked her to move and the girl "ignored" her. The child was deaf. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
I sometimes sit in the manga aisle if I don't see anyone around, but never long, and get up when I see other people approaching. I don't even approach other people looking for manga, for fear I'll be ridiculed for my tastes, or be forced into a conversation with someone about a manga I dislike. I've never encountered large numbers of people in the aisles, but I hear it can be a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
Ha ha! Alright Nina, git 'em!
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
NeoMaster1 wrote:
Ah yes, manga cows grazing away, blocking the gate to the manga farm. Razz

I think you owe Answerman $1 in royalty for using that word, since he coined it first.
Asako

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
I don't like it, but I don't think there's anything I can do about it other than submit a complaint to the staff. I guess I don't mind them reading manga since they move to get out of people's way when others are passing by.

The biggest problem I have with the manga is that I find many of them bent, some ripped, covers folded back so that there's a definite crease near the spine, and especially oil marks from fingerprints all over the book. There are many times I find something I want to buy but end up putting it back on the shelf because of it's condition Anime cry
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quote
I see this problem every once in a while... I'm highly anticipating next week's comic. Maybe then I'll have the fortitude to tell those little punks to move once and for all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9