• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - They Were 11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
videomaster21XX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little late to this topic, but I had to add my 2 cents.

No one will remember, but back when Video Girl Ai was featured in Burried Treasure, I made one post talking about how I was hoping for a certain anime to make it into this column, and THIS was that anime.

I learned about They Were 11 long ago through a 'database' website. (I'd say what the database was about, but it would give something away)

Lucky for me, my local Hollywood Video had a tape of it for rent. (Subtitled, which I am thankfull for. More on that later) I rented it, and it was a blast.

I ended up loving it so much that I went on ebay and tracked down the manga, which is also just as enjoyable. I also found the few extra story segments as a nice bonus.

You can bet that when I found this was comming on DVD, I was waiting to pounce on a copy.

I have to say that it's probably better to skip on the dub. I'm usually a dub guy. Never had a problem with any voice acting, but this is one of the few exceptions. I could tell right from the point they all start talking that it wasn't going to work with that kinda dub.

Quote:
It won't be making anybody's all-time top-10 anytime soon, but not everything has to blow one's proverbial socks off.

I noticed I'm not the only one to comment on this. I myself consider this movie number 5 on my all-time favorite movies. (Then again, my favorite movie of all time isn't something most people would consider to be someone's favorite movie, so maybe it's just because I'm weird)

My only regret is a certain thing with Frol that we never get to see. Those who have seen the movie know what I'm talking about.

In the end, I just love this movie. I still pop it in every so often to watch, and re-read the manga. Last of all, I have to admit that I didn't figure out who the 11th was.
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
I know this is a very old post but I just foudn this review--

I agree with everything about the anime, but as a HUGE Moto Hagio fan I have to say that the opening statement, "Shoujo and sci-fi are two flavors that seldom go together. "

WOW. Classic 70s shoujo is HUGELY Sci Fi based, in particular, and that has continued. Shoujo that gets imported to the English speakers is hardly ever sci fi would be a more appropriate expression. Indeed Moto Hagio, the QUEEN of shoujo manga, and to a lesser extent Keiko Takemiya are particularly well known and buitl their reputations with their amazing sci fi work. Interestingly, like a lot of female sci fi writers in the West, sci fi in shoujo is often used to express themes of gender and sexuality. (sound familiar you shoujo fans?)

One of the biggest travesties still exciting in English manga is that Hagio's work (along with most of the 49ers) remains almost entirely unreleased. Sad
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
EricMontreal22 wrote:
One of the biggest travesties still exciting in English manga is that Hagio's work (along with most of the 49ers) remains almost entirely unreleased. Sad

Sad huh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3