• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
And to say that a duo could ever become 100% content with each other and not develop either way, negatively or positively, is just not natural. Life goes on, relationships continually change, for better or for worse.

So you're saying that a married couple that remains happy and stable for 40-50+ years, with each partner having come to accept the foibles and strengths of the other rather than spending their timing griping about them, is unnatural?

When I look at couples in the real world, I don't need to know/see all of the particulars of how they came to be a couple to understand why they make a good couple; I just need to see them display how they fit together and interact with each other in such a matter that indicates a strong connection between the two. If you know my youngest sister, you don't need to watch her with my brother-in-law for more than 10 minutes to realize how good a couple they make, an impression you never got with her and her ex-husband. You don't need to know the sordid details of how the relationships came to be; it's just that obvious. Frankly, I don't see why evaluating duos in anime needs to be any different.

On a mostly unrelated point, I must lament that none of the options we're discussing for the next tournament offer this much potential for good discussion. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
On a mostly unrelated point, I must lament that none of the options we're discussing for the next tournament offer this much potential for good discussion. Rolling Eyes

Well, that's to be expected. If the majority of people want a silly tournament which is little more than a popularity contest, that's what we are going to get. The only question is (for me at least, you on the other hand are committed to running it), are we going to avoid the tournament if its going to be on an inferior intellectual level, or are we going to still participate and have some dumb fun? Standing in the corner and not talking to anyone may seem cool, but it sure is lonely. I don't care if the tournament is a "Most Saccharine Character Tournament". As long as there are plenty of people participating in it, I will too.

If the eventual tournament is a rousing success, then I can pat myself on the pat for daring to take part in it. If it isn't, then I can still say I had fun. And then, if it isn't even fun at all, people will surely demand a "serious" tournament which is the type I prefer.

Sorry for my little speech, but I didn't want to clog up the brainstorming thread, which is preoccupied (well, more preoccupied) with voting right now.

[Edit: fixed double negative.]

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
hope no one minds me putting a little reminder: if you've voted in this tournament, feel free to make your way to the "Next Forum Tournament: Voting" thread to vote for the next tournament.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I kept waiting this past week to make a decision on who to vote here and it hasn't been easy. On the one hand I have Kurau and Christmas who seem to be the nation's favourite. They are one of the few couples that made me actually purchase the damn series to see what was all this about. They have a very interesting bond, marked by devotion and constant search for each other plus an ultimate patience to wait for each other as well. They seem inter-dependent: there's Kurau without Christmas and there's not Christmas without Kurau. On a negative side: I think I am one of the few people who hasn't been completely impressed by the dynamics between the two of them and I can actually relate to some of the arguments which have been brought against them. Really now, at some point the story becomes repetative and it took me some time to be convinced of this true bond that exists between them. Besides this has been the couple which has eliminated Shannon and Pacifica (yeah, I actually still have a grudge here).

On the other hand there's Jinto and Lafiel. I am sorry I haven't completed the series and therefore here I am a little out of place in the sense that I didn't get to see the evolution of this couple. But what I liked a lot about this couple was the dynamics. Really, they seemed more intense, more real than Kurau and Chistmas at some points and the situations don't seem as repetetive as in the other series.

In conclusion, taking into consideration all this, reading the other arguments and watching the clips again, although I didn't really want to admit, I can see why Kurau and Christmas are such a powerful couple in the eyes of many and therefore my vote goes to them.
Luxa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Kurau and Christmas. Ultimately just because I feel their duo is stronger and more intimate than the other one. (Even if I like Lafiel and Jinto better.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I was originally going to vote for Kurau and Christmas, but I think I'll change my mind at the last minute and vote for Jinto and Lafiel. I really liked both series because of these two great duos, but in the end, I'll give the edge to the slightly mismatched CotS pair that complements each other and constantly evolves over the course of four series. They have their difference and disagreements, but they always manage to overcome them in believable ways. But if they lose in this tournament, it means defeat at the hand of a worthy opponent.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Last minute vote change.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Voting for Jinto and Lafiel. Others' arguments make be believe they are the more worthy duo.
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
come on another vote change.... anybody Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the score is 16-13 in favour of the duo from Kurau Phantom Memory. Are there three people out there who would like to vote for Jinto and Lafiel? Or perhaps two people who are dissatisfied with Kurau and Christmas.

Come on, I'll take anything, even a poorly written Deux Ex Machina.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
16-14 i beleive
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
16-14 i beleive

Aye.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
The Best Duo Tournament has now concluded!

And the winner, by a mere 16-14 vote margin, is. . .

It was a close race the whole time, but that is only fitting given the level of the competition. Despite a late vote change, though, Jinto and Lafiel couldn't quite make up the difference. Ultimately they were hurt by the fact that some of their most ardent supporters from earlier rounds (including Yours Truly) turned out to be even more ardent supporters of Kurau and Christmas.

Thanks to Frentymon for initially organizing and running the tournament, and special thanks for ccdx for running it for a while and providing technical support throughout. And thanks to all those who participated, too! The wonderful discussions many of these matches provoked made running this tournament for the past several weeks something I actually looked forward to instead of seeing the set-ups as a chore. IMO this is the best tournament we've had yet, and I look forward to continuing the fun in the next tournament.

Post-Mortem to follow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to the winners! Can't wait for and see you at the next tournament!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Jingle bells, jingle bells, not a bad tourney after all. A lot of my predictions went sour, but I blame that on having seen about a third of the series in the tourney from the outset. Now I've seen about half, so the tourney really broadened my horizons! I think the coolest new (old?) show I got out of it was definitely Crest of the Stars.

So, woo-hoo to all the participants (characters and forum peeps) and see you at the next one!

I dearly hope it will be a Bad-Ass tournament. Twisted Evil But if not, I think it'll be fun regardless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 78 of 80