• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Winny Anime File-Sharer Gets 1 Year in Prison

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah he does deserve it, but then again many people in Japan can't see those shows , because of what part of the country they live in or just can't afford the DVD's
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't people who make shows like Kimikiss be the ones who are punished? Laughing
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
OHNOEZ!!! MY RAWS!!!!

j/k

I'm thinking that they wanted to make an example out of this case, so more people will think twice before uploading stuff they recorded to the internet.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
A year huh? Seems like a bit much. Neutral
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Well economic impact was probably taken into consideration and this is probaby a high profile case to make it onto ANN.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you assume Japanese DVDs have 2 episodes each at $30 bucks a pop (which I think is probably a low estimate of the cost) then you come out to a loss of nearly $100,000 dollars if only one person downloads every episode. Now, not everyone is downloading every episode but you've got to figure that a lot of episodes were downloaded more than once. That's a lot of lost money. (I figured it up in dollars for familiarity's sake.)

Personally, I've never quite understood why the companies don't sell downloads or some sort of subscription streaming service. They could probably generate decent revenue from it and it would help them fight this sort of illegal activity. Still, it's not like people have a right to just take something they haven't paid for or created themselves and put it on the Internet just because the companies haven't done it themselves.

It deprives both the companies and the creators of their livelihood.
funkapotamus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
Yeah he does deserve it, but then again many people in Japan can't see those shows , because of what part of the country they live in or just can't afford the DVD's

So if there are impoverished families in suburban Detroit, It makes it okay for me to upload thousands of episodes of copyrighted television shows for them? You know, just to be a nice guy?
Ruremi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a double edged sword, seeing as the person that is uploading, may also be paying for the service to watch the anime, and the companies are losing money over it.

Wonder how can this really, ever be balanced out.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
He should've switched to Share and/or Perfect Dark.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
If I lived in Japan I would steal everything too. Anime on DVD is too expensive over there. Their entire business model is designed to rape the shows' biggest fans.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
If I lived in Japan I would steal everything too. Anime on DVD is too expensive over there. Their entire business model is designed to rape the shows' biggest fans.

[Be nice -t]
I can only pray you will one day steal something in Japan for real and get caught. If there's any raping being done, it's by the likes of you who don't recognize the simple fact that anime is costly to produce and therefore an expensive commodity. Air is free, anime is not. Please don't confuse them.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
He's right about the business model though, compare that to how Heroes (or whatever) is released here. Also the way some companies handle their music releases is disgusting. Putting the bgms across 10 character cd albums is absurd.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Their entire business model is designed to rape the shows' biggest fans.

So now being charged more than you want to pay is comparable to being raped?

You're a really classy individual, aren't you? Rolling Eyes

---

Regardless of what you think of fansubs or Japanese business practices, you all presumably recognise that the convicted man knowingly broke the law and was aware that there could be severe consequences when he did so (else why try to obscure his trail?). He took a risk and lost the bet and is now paying the price - I can't really see anything more to it than that.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Well, if you assume Japanese DVDs have 2 episodes each at $30 bucks a pop (which I think is probably a low estimate of the cost) then you come out to a loss of nearly $100,000 dollars if only one person downloads every episode. Now, not everyone is downloading every episode but you've got to figure that a lot of episodes were downloaded more than once. That's a lot of lost money. (I figured it up in dollars for familiarity's sake.)

Personally, I've never quite understood why the companies don't sell downloads or some sort of subscription streaming service. They could probably generate decent revenue from it and it would help them fight this sort of illegal activity. Still, it's not like people have a right to just take something they haven't paid for or created themselves and put it on the Internet just because the companies haven't done it themselves.

It deprives both the companies and the creators of their livelihood.
Well in thier standards 3,000 yen($30) is a dirt cheap price for a two disc DVD. The average price for one DVD in Japan is about 4,000 to 5,800 yen which in our standards is too pricey, then again a dollar (100 yen) is like a quarter to them.

I'm really getting sick of all the "anti fansub" people out there that preach propoganda about the evils of fansubbing and predict doom for the anime market which this Spring alone there have been over 72 new releases and shows which is considered very good after a slump( in April 1997, there were only about 68 new programs after the October '96 slump.)
mmoroz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
My original post was incorrect. See testorchoice's post below for correction.

Last edited by mmoroz on Fri May 16, 2008 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2