• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Gets Gurren Lagann TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that Bandai doesn't stick to our crazy guns and kick logic out the door!
james039

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Cool, so we're getting it this summer then? Dubs don't concern me, so I'm glad they're getting it out sooner in some form.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they're redoing the dub but also trying to release the show before the end of this year, thus the sub-only release this summer and bilingual next year.
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I just hope that Bandai doesn't stick to our crazy guns and kick logic out the door!

Fear not. Bandai's translations for well known lines are bound to be as closely matched to the most popular fansubs as possible. They've been known to steal bad translations from fansubbers in past (though in this case it's ADVs translations that were stupid "Great Dimensional Waterfall" WTF?). Like moe as "turn ons" for instance.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
No dub = faster release? HELL YEAH!!!! That makes me a happy brigadier. Also..ADV might die....oh well....big deal
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Woah!

Hopefully there will be some REALLY nice LEs coming from the company that has practically implemented Japanese pricing...
An HD release would be awesome too but I don't think it'll happen.

I still think I'll hold out for the dub and sub packs that'll come out in 2009, as painful as it is to wait that long. Knowing how some of these things are released there will be some nice box set released after both the sub and dub + sub DVDs are released so I'll have to double dip anyway.
Dr.G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Why would Bandi waste the time and money to redub it? I mean with ONe Piece it was horrible but if they have a decent dub I dont see why bandi would waste the time and money to redub it.
Periodeia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Westlo wrote:

Fear not. Bandai's translations for well known lines are bound to be as closely matched to the most popular fansubs as possible. They've been known to steal bad translations from fansubbers in past (though in this case it's ADVs translations that were stupid "Great Dimensional Waterfall" WTF?). Like moe as "turn ons" for instance.

"Great Dimensional Waterfall" is accurate. I bought the Final Drill mook that has the entire storyboard for the first episode, and that's what the kanji says.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Westlo wrote:

Let's hope they aren't like Zeta Gundam's subtitles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
I wonder how ADV could have screwed up this license agreement? Confused

Judgeing from all the info tidbits that have been released here and there it is likely that it's not exclusively ADV's fault.

Like others I am worried about the hit or missness(sp?) of Bandai dubs. But it's not like they haven't produced some great dubs, so let's just assume the best until we hear it.

I am more mystified by the sub only release schedule, 2009 planned dub release schedule.

It is also weird that they didn't want to use ADV's dub. ADV has sold dubs in the past, maybe they just said no this time, or maybe asked for to much, or maybe Bandai didn't like it???? Strange times indeed.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhemos88

I hope ADV doesn't die. I want my Kanon collection competed. ><
Starks

Bandai = Ocean dub for Gurren Lagann?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Geez, people sure are jumping to conclusions about ADV. Let's wait until there's some actual evidence. When they came back they never said they had Gurren Lagann so Bandai had probably already gotten it at that point. We'll probably never get the slightest inkling of why but considering ADV was apparently facing serious issues, they probably had to make a sacrifice or two for the sake of getting everything else back.

And this is hardly the first time they've lost a license to someone else after announcing it.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
It is also weird that they didn't want to use ADV's dub.

ADV's dub might not have been complete, if they had even started in the first place.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Ew.

I'm not a fan of bandai's dubs. *sigh* this may have to be a boxset release. What of all the trailers on adv's dvds?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9