• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Not Planning on Battle Angel after Avatar Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The way I see it he hasn't officially said he'd scrap the movie idea yet, so I'm still going to stay optimistic. Still though, this isn't very good news for it. Even if he does end up making it eventually it'll be a very, very long time before he does. Sad

But hey, who knows. Even though Speed Racer bombed there's always the potential for Dragonball, Ghost in the Shell and Akira to help boost up confidence that live action Hollywood anime adaptations can be successful. Maybe that'll increase his chances of making it somewhat. *shrugs*
subaru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
They are probably all looking at the results that Speed Racer is getting at the moment and are starting to reconsider their positions by lining up alternative projects to fill the void.

I would daresay that until Speed Racer has been released on the asian continent and in Japan, that we won't know exactly how much it will make. And also, it's not really the best litmus test to tell us how a more adult series would fare as an adaptation, not that DB or Astroboy will help either.

Compare to DBZ, Speed Racer and Astro Boy, not many people would know what Battle Angel is. I'm talking about people who don't watch anime. General public will go to cinema to watch Battle Angel base on............. 1. It's a Cameron's movie. 2. It has an interesting trailer. 3. Popular actors............ I don't think general public will relate Battle Angel with DBZ and Astro Boy at all.
ry0ga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
This is gonna be painful, now another awesome anime which has a chance of being made into an awesome live-action adaptation. This is a rarity and now it's never gonna happen. Now that one of the best directors is most likely not in the project it's gonna be given to a crap director and it's gonna be rubbish. Another anime has fallen victim.

1st Transformers then Speed Racer, and now they wanna kill this along with Akira, and Death Note and Ghost In The Shell.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
The OAV showed a lot of promise, but was ultimately less affecting than I feel it was trying to be. (That chap's chin was laughably huge as well.)
A big-budget feature-length adaptation of the manga could have done a better job, albeit perhaps at the expense of some of the stylism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Moomin: He owns the rights to the current anime, which is why it's been OOP for so long.

Wait, so this is like Metallica and the Johnny Got His Gun movie?

Not that I care for the Battle Angel anime, but it's always irritating to see new ownership disregard the rest of the franchise.

I'm caring a lot less about the manga recently, but I would hope that Cameron does get the backing and time needed for his movies. They'd at least be pretty to look at.

Hey, Harmony Gold, where's my Macross Frontier? Yeah, frack you too. Sitting on the rights to the series has benefited the US fans SO DAMN MUCH.

ry0ga wrote:
This is gonna be painful, now another awesome anime which has a chance of being made into an awesome live-action adaptation. This is a rarity and now it's never gonna happen. Now that one of the best directors is most likely not in the project it's gonna be given to a crap director and it's gonna be rubbish. Another anime has fallen victim.

1st Transformers then Speed Racer, and now they wanna kill this along with Akira, and Death Note and Ghost In The Shell.

Uh...Transformers...made tons of money and it wasn't terrible and the original show wasn't technically an anime (yes, it was animated by Toei but made exclusively for US consumption at first).
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Uh...Transformers...made tons of money and it wasn't terrible

Mind repeating that statement?
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Transformers. That seems to be a crime around here...

I mean, Armada and Cybertron were so much better, right? Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
Unit: Please. If the Japanese companies had their way, they'd charge as much for the music rights for the original show as they do for M7.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Uh...Transformers...made tons of money and it wasn't terrible

Mind repeating that statement?

It was an excellent popcorn flick, the perfect summer blockbuster. It wasn't Lord of the Rings or Dark Knight but it wasn't trying to be. It was simply a solid flick that had excellent battle scenes, good drama, and good laughs.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Unit: Please. If the Japanese companies had their way, they'd charge as much for the music rights for the original show as they do for M7.

I'm just saying it'd be nice to have it in a non-fansub format (considering my policy on them).

And why is Cameron sitting on these rights? Especially if he's not gonna do anything with them? That'd be like Nolan refusing to do Batman 3 for some arbitrary reason (sure he doesn't own the rights to Batman, but another director would ruin anything that's been established so far).

On the other hand, part of me is glad some of these adaptations are stalling. A certain part of me, for example, really wants a live-action Evangelion movie, but part of me knows that Hollywood could just as easily rape it in grand fashion like they did with Speed Racer, not to mention the movies based on comics and cartoons of yesteryear that most definitely failed to live up to the source material.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Jimmy's stalling, because he wants his next movie to be as big as Titanic, since that's what people really wanna see, even though half the audience consisted of the same type of demos into Twilight.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote
Why isn't the english dub of the anime series Battle Angel Alita available on DVD in the U.S.?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
Why isn't the english dub of the anime series Battle Angel Alita available on DVD in the U.S.?

AnimeNation seem to still have the OAV available. It appears to have multiple audio tracks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2