• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Yutaka Yamamoto Talks About Lucky Star Firing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_ferret

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
I liked the first episodes. The show was at its lamest when endless otaku bait buried the girls' personalities.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
Especially when it's true and the evidence for it is as plain as day.

First 4 episodes of Lucky Star = Suck.

Yamamoto fired = Necessary.

It's your personal opinion, not an "evidence" in any way.

KarmaRocketX wrote:
Sorry if you aren't able to accurately process that beneath your rampant fanboyism, to decry a good decision made in firing him

I take the comment above as an ad hominem attack. Consider yourself warned.

KarmaRocketX wrote:
but it continues to exist and do just fine without him.

That was because the choreography he created for the opening animation still exists and has been playing in the beginning of each and every episode. History has no "what ifs," but think about whether if the show would have the same level of popularity if the OP dance was taken off along with its creator.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

That was because the choreography he created for the opening animation still exists and has been playing in the beginning of each and every episode. History has no "what ifs," but think about whether if the show would have the same level of popularity if the OP dance was taken off along with its creator.

To be honest, I don't think the _choreography_ has anything to do with the dance sequence's success.
The original Haruhi dance is nothing but standard parapara type moves you could see in any jpop video.
What was important was the basic fact of having a dance sequence at all, and knowing that it would catch on.

Actually, I think that another dance sequence might be 1 too many. If I were Kyo-ani, I wouldn't want to get type-cast like that when it comes to my output. You've got to come up with a NEW hook, something different. So while the guy might have come up with 1 great idea that took off, it's hard not to see the possibility that it was really just a single flash-in-the-pan. There is no reason (yet) to think that Haruhi 2 will be any worse from this one director not being there.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
What was important was the basic fact of having a dance sequence at all, and knowing that it would catch on.

I agree, however, someone had to create such a sequence in the first place.

As I've said before, the weird part was that Kyoto Animation made it a big news by summoning Yamamoto at 11 PM to inform him the layoff, as well as using very harsh words ("due to his incompetence as a director...") in the press release. Just how many people remember that Nagisa Miyazaki had disappeared from the credit roll of later episodes of Negima!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2