• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Film in Development at Fox

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bear13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
It all depends on what they are trying to do...

is it going to be another failed attempt at a live action cartoon

or

something novel, perhaps actually trying to make a film from the available story material.
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
hey anyone remember that fake poster of a live action Cowboy Bebop movie wish this report was a fake like that one was..
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me that this is a joke.

Please, please PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that this is nothing but a big, horrible, unthinkable joke made in bad taste in some kind of attempt to be funny or put one over on us.

PLEASE?

After that miserable Speed Racer bomb and this god-awful looking Dragonball movie... Are you meaning to tell me that Fox actually is green lighting and putting ANOTHER destined-to-be-worthlessly-awful anime based piece of excrement live action movie into automatic development?

What is this? "Braindead decision making-stuck-on-autopilot year" over at 20th Century Fox, or something??

Either they are actively trying to commit absolute corporate suicide for whatever bizarre reason, or they honestly have something against anime fans or fans of halfway decent films, or they really and truly have absolutely no original concepts or talented idea men anymore.

Do they really have to keep treading into the mines of stealing ideas from anime and manga, hoping that they are going to dig out some gold through the bare minimum of actual talent or entertainment producing effort, when the attempts made so far are resulting in ludicrous f'n failure?

Just wow. It's like they don't even want to wait for Dragonball to turn up dead-on-arrival like a grey turd buried in a sand dune before they immediately green-light another movie that should never be made and that wouldn't be made by most reasonably sentient humans with a fully functioning frontal lobe?

Just wow. There are times in life where one just has to stand back and marvel in nothing but stunned and silent awe at the seemingly never-ending depths and potential for infinite human stupidity to make uselessly idiotic decisions.

Every screenshot, every cast announcement, and every tidbit of info unearthed about Dragonball points to a failure on a level set to exceed even that of "Super Mario Bros" the movie.

And after Speed Racer already served as a textbook of "what not to do" as the predecessor of even the Dragonball soon-to-be-dismal-failure?

But oh, hey.. third time's the charm, right. Not like they've given fans any hope for Dragonball to look like they even cared about it, so far, either.

Just throw another license that is going to be complete feces with minimal effort put into it's development based on a series that deserves MUCH better than this disrespect onto the wall, hoping it'll stick. What brilliant strategy. .....just Incredible.

There are failues, and there are epic failures. And I must say, the announcement of this movie trumps just about all of them before and probably after, for untold generations to come.

Last edited by KarmaRocketX on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Starks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
i can't help but wonder if the use of copious music styles will resonate with an american audience.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
a rant.

Yes! That's exactly why I read threads like this- to see people's overreactions. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
okitasan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
As long as Shinichiro Watanabe plays some part in the development, and as long as YOKO KANNO DOES THE SOUND TRACK.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Kakaba beat me to it, so I'll just mention Babylon A.D.

Zac: Jet should be played by that Machete guy from Grindhouse or Benicio Del Toro. Spike would be Takeshi Kaneshiro, but we'd probably get stuck with Shia Labeouf... Rolling Eyes They'd also force Alba to be Fey, and Ellen Page to be "Ed", though my picks would be Hayek and the child star from CJ7. My pick for Vicious would be Tadanobu Asano, but we'd probably get Ken Watanabe. [He's good, but he'd only be in it, because he's more recognizable here...]

Karma: DB didn't bomb for them yet, and Speed Racer wasn't released by them, so I imagine they're going to keep going until they know for sure whether or not there's a demand for anime and manga-based movies. Of course, what matters is whether there's a demand for anime and manga-based films done right. But unfortunately, for the time being, I can only imagine live-action anime films suffering the same fate of comic book-based flicks made in the 90s not named Batman. Studios didn't really get the non-Batman stuff right until Blade and The Matrix, and by then, the American comic book industry was in the dumps. It's kind of
made a comeback since then, but it's nowhere near as huge as it was in the 80s. Of course, bombs like Tank Girl and Spawn had nothing to do with idiots who thought multiple covers were the wave of the future, but they helped encourage the man-child stereotype of the fanbase, and thus made it harder for the mature stuff like Watchmen to get off the ground.

Also, they're technically not stealing [Outside of occasional scenes like the one in Hellboy 2 which ripped off Princess Mononoke or the Disney Nadia/Leo thing. Oh, and Chris Nolan owes Watanabe big time for using the rail scene from the movie in Batman Begins.], since they pay the companies for the rights to the properties.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Until they actually do anything with it, it means about as much as the Evangelion and Battle Angel movies.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
v1cious wrote:
i find it funny more of these are being announced after Speed Racer tanked. you'd think the studios would be scared.

They're moving ahead with the Dragon Ball movie, though. I think the industry consensus on Speed Racer is that it failed because the property was old and unfamiliar to the film's target audience. You have to be at least 40 to remember when Speed Racer was at its peak of popularity.

Well, Speed did have constant rerunson TV for the past 40 years, so there's lot of people in their late teens and early 20's who've been fans of the show.

Still, it all depends on the quality of the movie- Speed Racer tanked so fast because it just didn't mesh with audiences. Not because it was based on anime, but because it had mixed reviews, which'll happen to any film.

There's lots of comic book movies that Bomb and lots that make Kajillions. Anime/Manga are part of that who grouping of ComicBook/Cartoon based films, so I expect we'll continue to see studios reach around the anime realm for properties like they do with comic properties, especially since DBZ or CBebop are pretty prominent due to their television runs, and Marvel has their own studio now which means less is available to grab [same with DC, whose properties are all controlled by Warner, and more or less difficult to get at].

Also, Transformers anyone?
Rompope

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about you, but I remember when it was announced that Heath Ledger was playing the Joker everyone was all like "Bawwww, he's gonna suck." Look at what happened.

We have not even received news on who the cast is and a few people are already complaining.

I'm not a Cowboy Bebop fan at all, but whining about this news seems a bit silly.

At least hold off your judgments until the cast is announced.

But God help me if Carlos Mencia does come anywhere near this movie.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Rompope wrote:
I don't know about you, but I remember when it was announced that Heath Ledger was playing the Joker everyone was all like "Bawwww, he's gonna suck." Look at what happened.

We have not even received news on who the cast is and a few people are already complaining.

I'm not a Cowboy Bebop fan at all, but whining about this news seems a bit silly.

At least hold off your judgments until the cast is announced.

Have you seen the Dragon Ball movie reactions?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Um, Fox, you already have a Bebop movie in your hands. It's called Serenity.

I thought that was the Hollywood adaptation of Outlaw Star?
It didn't have Ctarl Ctarl or casters.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gunna be holding my breath.

Speed Racer and Dragonball have both surprised me by actually being more than just slight rumors. But there are still so many others that never came to fruition. If it happens, I'll probably go see it, even if it does look like it's gunna be bad...because there's a chance I'll like it as much as I liked Speed Racer (which reminds me...time to find out when that is coming to DVD).

I agree with others that music will be a key factor. I'd love if Kanno could be part of it, and if the movie was good and did well so that Kanno would have more exposure to music fans.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I got this image from Japanator.

It didn't cross my mind at all until I saw this, but Johnny Depp would kick ass as Spike.
angieness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
In the event this ever happens, this could work extremely well considering the type of series Bebop is
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15