• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Olympic Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Zac wrote:
This column wasn't intended to be an exacting, exhaustive list of every show that ever even mentioned an Olympic sport.

No ... but this thread was:
Quote:
I challenge you, my dear readers, to come up with a lengthy list of all the anime series you've ever seen that have included this puzzling sport.

(emphasis mine for AceRyonik's reply to alifemde)

Actually Zac is right. It was a thread about Rythym Gymnastics, not about all sports.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Negima and Mew Mew Power were the only ones that came to mind, and they've been mentioned already... And Lizzie McGuire, but that's not an anime.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Everybody wrote:
Why has (sport) --> (anime) been forgotten here?

Because some of those titles are really old, and are no longer readily available at your local retail chain. I wanted to focus on titles that have been released in the past year or two that you can still find at Best Buy.

Also, I didn't just want to do "Sports Anime!" because that's a very specific genres. I just wanted to focus on some recent shows in which people are busting their butts at Olympic events.

I did leave some recent ones out, though, so I'm glad people are mentioning them!
Dorian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that the Olympics is putting a crimp in my anime viewing.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I know they not real Olympic sports anime, but what about Battle Athletes.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, three pages of posts and nary a mention of Utena and its fencing aspects? Maybe even MSG or Wing, too, though the results of those often drifted towards the more fatal side (Utena too, at times)...

Great to see a post like this connecting various anime series with the sports of the Olympics. I really enjoy watching the Olympics each time they come on, so it was nice to have this article put me further in the mood. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ligene

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kaleido Star, people. Gymnastics is what this show is built on.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Maramite has a pretty important Kendo competition in the first season, not sure of its Olympic status though.

I have to throw in with the reviewer here, Suzuka would have been a nice series cut down to 12 or 13 episodes. There was just so much crap that made me care less and less for the main chars, that the normally moving end was lost on me. Being a completist, I netflixed it all. There were some really good scenes, but it was all brought down by a lot of junk you had to wade through.

I can think of a few H games where Rhythmic Gymnastics played a role, but nothing anime wise outside of what has already been mentioned. I thought it was a decent character fleshout to the schoolgirl fan in Beck (name escapes me).
Merkatz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Rythmic Gymnastics? One that comes to mind is DNA^2, where one character has very... unusual problem with her performance.

edit. Man, I suck at reading, someone already mentioned it.

Aikawa Maki in Air Master used to compete in gymnastics but that wasn't rythmic. And then there's Ogawa Miku in Wingman (again, just gymnastics).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
YAWARA!'s on local TV right now. Today's episode had Yawara winning the All-Japan tournament. Next stop, Barcelona!

Unfortunately, Yawara-chan was upset and wins only bronze.

bci110 wrote:
maaya wrote:
But I guess, since Baseball and Basketball aren't olympic sports, many of the popular sports series like Slam Dunk or Major etc. don't fit in.

Shocked Huh? Baseball and basketball are indeed Olympic sports. Baseball might be dropped though (which upsets me greatly since I'm a huge baseball fan - it's not listed on the 2012 Olympics in London),

No "might" about it - it's gone in London 2012 along with softball. This sports decision is decided 7 years before the relevant Olympics, so the 2009 vote will decide whether baseball or softball gets reinstated for the 2016 Olympics.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Wow, three pages of posts and nary a mention of Utena and its fencing aspects? Maybe even MSG or Wing, too, though the results of those often drifted towards the more fatal side (Utena too, at times)...

Someone mentioned Utena on the first page. Smile

Negima is also the only show I can think of with gymnastics. Makie Sasaki whips out her little ribbon pretty often. In fact, several of the girls are involved in various sports clubs.

And although it hasn't been released here, Tokimeki Memorial: Only Love has swimmers, girl volley ball players, track runners, and baseball players.

Also, although it's an older show, Hitomi in Escaflowne runs track.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had its Baseball episode.
Doesn't Tatsuki do Judo in Bleach?
bravejaf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Beck - someone mentioned it for rhythmic gymnastics but I was thinking of the swimming in this show when I first saw this article.

On a side note I really need to get the next volume of the manga, I love this series.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh Bamboo, why oh why do you have to remind me about poor Yawara?
My boyfriend pre-ordered it months ago, made me watch the first four episodes on the sample disks and I fell in love with it. I keep asking him "Seriously, dude, WHEN is this show coming out?"
When I think of gymnastics, only DNA2 comes to mind, with the disturbing farting gymnastics girl *shudder*
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Here's a rythym gumnastics mention that hasn't come up yet- Hamtaro! Doesn't one of the hamsters belong to a rythym gymast, and as such hauls a ribbon for it around? I know they did an episode on the sport, at least...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4