• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks on Anime [2008-09-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan:
Quote:
My tastes have changed a lot over the years.

I used to looooooooooooooove Love Hina.

I'm guessing that before Negima came along, ne? Wink That's how I felt about Maison Ikkoku-and how I wanted to feel about the Mermaid Forest manga-before Inu Yasha. [Though I'm still doing alright with One Pound Gospel at the moment...]
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sakechan:
Quote:
My tastes have changed a lot over the years.

I used to looooooooooooooove Love Hina.

I'm guessing that before Negima came along, ne? Wink That's how I felt about Maison Ikkoku-and how I wanted to feel about the Mermaid Forest manga-before Inu Yasha. [Though I'm still doing alright with One Pound Gospel at the moment...]

I think my opinion changed halfway through the season, actually. I started out really liking it, then took a year-long break from the show. By the time I started it up again, I couldn't stand it. I can't really identify the catalyst, though...
konkonsn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
So, my question is, where does shouta fall into all of this? I just read vol. 2 of Ouran, and between Hunny and the random chapter that deals specifically with a young boy and his appeal to the host club customers, it really brought this to my attention.

I currently have a shouta complex, in a sense, but it's not like I'm sexually attracted to little boys. I'm a 22-year-old college grad currently living in her hometown while waiting out grad school apps. Because of this, most people my age who are still in school mode are...at school? The ones generally left in town that I've made friends with all have kids. I'm surrounded by two and three-year olds on a constant basis. Plus, out of my age group, I'm considered the "elder" (the senior of college, yes?) and I think it's making something in me go, "I need to guide all these kids to grow up right!"

Something else I thought of when analyzing how huggable I find these characters was the media available to me. I realized I'm sorta stuck in this transition. I watch an anime and think, "That guy's kinda cute." But instead of being able to fawn like when I was a teen, now I get hit with, "But he's fifteen!" So it's like my previous crushes need a different outlet, but where? I guess that's where it turns into mild affection?

Anyway, just trying to see how everyone else perceives this.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:

Something else I thought of when analyzing how huggable I find these characters was the media available to me. I realized I'm sorta stuck in this transition. I watch an anime and think, "That guy's kinda cute." But instead of being able to fawn like when I was a teen, now I get hit with, "But he's fifteen!" So it's like my previous crushes need a different outlet, but where? I guess that's where it turns into mild affection?

Anyway, just trying to see how everyone else perceives this.

I don't really have much to say about the shouta angle, but it does make me think about the Japanese idol/music industry quite a bit. With groups like those in the ever-growing Hello Project, or boy bands like Arashi, etc-- you have very huggable singers. I wonder how that ties in, or if it does at all, with the moe sentiment. Because when you buy a Berryz Kobo photobook, the girls are totally in their early teens...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I wonder how that ties in, or if it does at all, with the moe sentiment. Because when you buy a Berryz Kobo photobook, the girls are totally in their early teens...

It ties in like this:

If a woman thinks a young male singer is hot, even though he's fifteen, she's just "staying youthful".

If a man thinks a young female singer is hot, even though she's fifteen, he's "a creepy old paedophile".

No doubt, this mental double standard is also why (according to researchers) most cases of child molestation by women do not get reported and do not appear in official crime statistics -- instead appearing only in statistics of later therapy subjects. This underreporting tends to skew the statistics even further, because it predisposes law enforcement to believe that only men abuse children, when it would seem that the gender distribution of the offenders is probably a great deal closer to even.

We had this issue up in the air in the recent "older manga fan" thread, and it set off quite a few tempers.

Personally, I thnk it is a great shame that people instantly think in terms of sexual attraction when someone expresses the sentiment that a young person is cute. Like the "cute puppies" simile, I think it is eminently possible to find a young person cute without necessarily feeling an urgent need to have sex with him/her.

This may be an inflammatory argument, but here goes anyway: I strongly believe that some of the most ardent haters of moe on the basis of supposed paedophilia correspond in their habitus to certain "family values" members of the U.S. Congress, who were later shown to adopt a... hmm.... "wide stance". In other words, if you're up to no good, it is sometimes easiest to seem legit if you accuse others first.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
In other words, if you're up to no good, it is sometimes easiest to seem legit if you accuse others first.
- abunai
But that's like making one's own cat for to be used on one's own back when one is eventually found out.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
abunai wrote:
In other words, if you're up to no good, it is sometimes easiest to seem legit if you accuse others first.
- abunai
But that's like making one's own cat for to be used on one's own back when one is eventually found out.

Doesn't seem to stop anybody. When it comes to calling the kettle black, the pot believes in preëmption.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
In a sense, this isn't very different than the emotions the panel was saying that male moe fans have towards the girls in these shows. Yet when I've expressed an opinion like "I love Mytho, and I really want to give him a big hug sometimes" I don't ever run up against people saying "But isn't that objectifying?!" I do get some friends of mine saying "Ew, why would you like a guy like that? I want a MAN!", but nothing to indicate they think it's somehow morally wrong to feel that way towards a male character.

I'm really glad someone here made this point. I kind of picked up on that from the column and some of the posts here but you've articulated it very well and I'm doubly glad that it was a female who brought it up. I couldn't help but smile a bit when the column began to drift into what would seem to be "feminist theory" regarding what's going on inside mens minds and why they feel what they feel. While I'm sure there are men to whom those theories apply much of it came across as quite imaginative and overly analytic. At best I think the double standard alluded to here is an indication of a lack of perspective and understanding on the part of those who apply it and at worst it's a little hypocritical. However, it's not my intention to accuse anyone from the column of being hypocritical, just to be clear. I really enjoyed the column and the subsequent discussions have been interesting.

But MorwenLaicoriel's post I think helps to highlight another problem and that has to do with the very use of the word "objectify." Where is even the value of using this word? It's used almost as an implicit epithet and I think it takes on a subtly political tone in some of the posts here. For example:

burzmali wrote:
Even if you leave out the loli angle, isn't the whole moe movement pretty much a thin excuse to objectify women?

I mean, don't these shows pretty much say that in order for the cool guys to pay attention to you, girls should remain cute, quiet and subservient?

Of course not, no more than a woman being attracted to a "manly" man in a show is the same as saying that in order for the hot girls to pay attention to you, guys have to be built like Arnold Schwarzenegger and suppress their feelings. If my liking Chi in Chobits is "objectifying" women then I really don't see how a fangirl melting over Sesshomaru in Inuyasha is any less "objectifying" men. But I really don't see either way why any of those reactions should be considered illegitimate or wrong so why even try to make the distinction, what's the point? In that sense everybody "objectifies" all sorts of people in any variety of situations all the time. I think it's important to recognize the difference between objectifying someone and using their behavior as a means to rationalize devaluing them. In my opinion that's the point at which we begin to tread upon morally precarious territory. That being said, even if you accept that sex is a component of moe I don't see how either a male or female viewer having a "moe" reaction to either a male or female character is in any way devaluing or denigrating to that character or to the gender archetype that you may want to argue that character represents.

Then there was this post which really caught my eye:

dtm42 wrote:
...Doesn't make sense from a realism standpoint, but the creators know that the target audience (men) won't care. All they want is to see beautiful females (they're always beautiful, or at least pretty) kicking ass, shooting big guns with extreme skill, and acting in the dominant action role, traditionally reserved for men.

Call it a sign of the times; that despite women having won big gains (or perhaps because of the gains), men are still objectifying women, just on the small screen rather than real life.

So let me get this straight; men wanting to see beautiful females and women wanting to see beautiful males is somehow in contradiction to presumably social "gains?" And what is the point of that? That it's morally or politically wrong for people of either sex to be attracted to each other? I just don't understand the implied reasoning here or why it's necessary to place either the example used by dtm42 or moe into a sociopolitical context.
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, sorry I'm late, but I found this topic too interesting to blow off. Here are a couple things that jumped out at me. I have more to say but not enough time to say it. I might come back and try to add a couple other thoughts later on. Here's what I came up with so far...

Casey wrote:
The technical definition would be something like an overwhelming sentiment of affection you feel when you see something that is unbearably cute. Of course, that really doesn't get much of a reaction from people when they hear it, so I always say it's how dog lovers feel when they see a really cute puppy, or the way that cat lovers feel when they see a really cute cat. The main issue, I think, that needs to be kept in mind is that it's distinct from lolicon because you don't normally think of the dog lover as wanting to jump into bed and have sex with the puppy.

This definition is hitting fairly close to the target and I certainly think the pet angle is a good one as I've used it myself in the past. However, it also seems a little over-the-top as written. I'm a cat lover but I don't find my appreciation of cats to be "overwhelming" nor do I find the look or actions of any given cat to be anywhere near "unbearable." Those two terms take what I believe is a fairly common feeling among pet lovers and make it sound unusual and immature. Moe in itself is not something I would consider especially childish or rare. It probably seems rare at first partly because we don't have a truly equivalent term in English and also because feeling moe toward non-living things isn't something that is typical among adults. But if we agree that it describes the feeling of love and compassion toward a pet then presumably moe is a very common feeling that has occurred for centuries without being specifically named. Also, while any type of man can presumably feel moe, we're also talking about media nerds and techno geeks and social hermits and other males who are kind of low on the raw masculinity scale. In other words, even though it has the connotation of being a male trait from our perspective here on an anime forum, it's still seen as somewhat of an effeminate quality overall.

Sara wrote:
I worry slightly about the effect this type of archetype has on expectations of real-life relationships on the part of the viewer, because I don't think this kind of innocence and docility really exists in most girls.

I think that anyone who gets their social cues from anime or manga or virtually anything intended to be entertainment is going to come up short. Sooner or later they're going to have a very rude awakening and they'll see just how naive they are. Either they'll wise-up, get out some more and try again or they'll slink back into their hermit nest and return to what they know. I'm not saying either response is good or bad, it's a free country, just that I think ignorance of social norms has been around long before moe related products ever arrived on the scene and that anyone who takes moe themes seriously is doing so as a result of some other issue and not because moe content confused them on their way toward a healthy relationship.

Sara wrote:
I know that the technical definition of moe is clearly separate from loli and other sexual fetishes, but that's hard to buy when you suddenly stumble across all this "moe" merchandise that pictures these girls with very childish features and panties flashing all over the place. Where's the line?

&
Bamboo wrote:
I suppose there's a fine line. I mean, these characters are represented as these young, fresh-faced innocent girls, who are then turned around and marketed as something more sexual. I think it's with the merchandising aspect of it that these sweet girls can sometimes cross the line between moe and possible fetish. When you have a character where you can think, "Gee, I wish I could protect her, she's my little sister," and then you buy a body pillow of her and sleep next to her, suddenly it crosses a weird line. Then when you buy a figure of her, or some doujinshi, and the original definition of moe almost loses its meaning.

In my view the line is not only rather fat, it also doesn't get fuzzy or move and the definition of moe doesn't ever lose it's meaning. Selling one range of merchandise as though it applied equally to the desires of multiple demographics is nothing new. I think that the definition of moe above is mostly correct and that when we say that the line became "thin" or "weird" or "blurred" it's simply no longer moe. We can call it a crossover title or a lolicon title or whatever the case may be, but I don't believe that fuzzy marketing alone is enough to justify questioning the fundamental legitimacy of moe itself. If someone sold bikinis for dogs, would that in any way challenge the "cuteness" or "wholesomeness" of folks who bought sweaters for their pets? I don't think it would, even if they were sold by the same manufacturer or store or catalog and I don't think that there would be any reason to consider the pet bikini to be an "almost cute" product either. The line didn't get fuzzy or thin or change at all; the product simply crossed the line.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

In my view the line is not only rather fat, it also doesn't get fuzzy or move and the definition of moe doesn't ever lose it's meaning. Selling one range of merchandise as though it applied equally to the desires of multiple demographics is nothing new. I think that the definition of moe above is mostly correct and that when we say that the line became "thin" or "weird" or "blurred" it's simply no longer moe. We can call it a crossover title or a lolicon title or whatever the case may be, but I don't believe that fuzzy marketing alone is enough to justify questioning the fundamental legitimacy of moe itself. If someone sold bikinis for dogs, would that in any way challenge the "cuteness" or "wholesomeness" of folks who bought sweaters for their pets? I don't think it would, even if they were sold by the same manufacturer or store or catalog and I don't think that there would be any reason to consider the pet bikini to be an "almost cute" product either. The line didn't get fuzzy or thin or change at all; the product simply crossed the line.

This is very interesting, especially the last line. I actually hadn't ever really thought about it that way, and I think you're right. Frankly, anything can be made to "cross the line"-- whether it's a moe character, an idol, or a political figure, but that shouldn't diminish the original thing. So I'm glad you brought this up; it's shifted my views a bit.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
*nods* Good post, Daxo.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
daxomni wrote:

This is very interesting, especially the last line. I actually hadn't ever really thought about it that way, and I think you're right. Frankly, anything can be made to "cross the line"-- whether it's a moe character, an idol, or a political figure, but that shouldn't diminish the original thing. So I'm glad you brought this up; it's shifted my views a bit.
Though I neither agree, or disagree with what Daxonmi says, one has to ask the question, for just what purpose would dressing a dog in a bikini achieve then? I myself would find dressing a dog in a sweater not only cute, but practical in severe cold weather, but a dog dressed in a bikini? Not cute and just wrong. Also it could be misconstrued as a statement that all females in bikinis are bitches. In short it's all down to individual perception of what is being seen, but it is the collective majority of that perception that gives weight to its acceptance, or not.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Though I neither agree, or disagree with what Daxonmi says, one has to ask the question, for just what purpose would dressing a dog in a bikini achieve then? I myself would find dressing a dog in a sweater not only cute, but practical in severe cold weather, but a dog dressed in a bikini? Not cute and just wrong. Also it could be misconstrued as a statement that all females in bikinis are bitches. In short it's all down to individual perception of what is being seen, but it is the collective majority of that perception that gives weight to its acceptance, or not.

Well, I don't think the "dogs in bikinis" was meant to be taken at face value. Though at the same time, I can't stand it when people dress up their dogs in sweaters, because it's not cute, and I'm pretty sure dogs can handle the weather. It's like putting dogs in bags-- the dogs have legs.

But really, to each his/her own. What might be extremely cute to someone, may be extremely repulsive to me. I'll throw out an example-- Anne Geddes. I find her photos to be repulsive and creepy-- but obviously, I am in the minority here, because her "art" is extremely popular. Maybe because I'm not a mother, or a baby-lover? I'm not sure, but seeing babies dressed up as chickens or peas is just... eh. It gives me the creeps.

I guess that's why body pillows give me the creeps, because I can't see the other side's point of view.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I'm not sure, but seeing babies dressed up as chickens or peas is just... eh. It gives me the creeps.

I guess that's why body pillows give me the creeps, because I can't see the other side's point of view.
How do you feel about seeing a baby in these then? There are only two points of view for a body pillow, and they are the same as those for a blow up sex doll. You either love them, or hate them.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
I'm not sure, but seeing babies dressed up as chickens or peas is just... eh. It gives me the creeps.

How do you feel about seeing a baby in these then? There are only two points of view for a body pillow, and they are the same as those for a blow up sex doll. You either love them, or hate them.

UGH!!!!!

That's awful. Dressing up your infant like that isn't "cute," it's gross. Girls playing dress-up is one thing, but that's usually of their own accord. This is just poor taste. Children aren't accessories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8