• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-10-29

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I wonder what Action Guru would do if he found out that not only have I never seen Mad Max, I didn't know it had sequels until I read this thread.

Wait, nevermind- I think it would be like a couple weeks ago when my boyfriend found out my familiarity with Monty Python was only a couple of the movies, and none of the TV series. I've seen about half of the entirety of Monty Python's Flying Circus in the last 2 weeks... Confused Laughing

At least you've seen the movies ... my highest level of exposure is the stupid ads selling subscriptions to the series' DVDs.
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping he would say, "Hastalavistah Baby!!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Some Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Notice how his eye turned red? Maybe he is a Terminator like you are suggesting!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
You mean Americans don't understand Australian English? Surprised The makers of that DVD must have a rather low opinion of y'all.

I've seen English-subtitled interviews with the Gallagher brothers, but that was more of a joke, I think. Also a food/travel show shot in India where everyone spoke perfectly intelligible English, yet the producers felt the need to add English subtitles.
Vekou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
They should've released the original Australian track with subtitles so Americans could've understood it, instead of butchering it to make it acceptable for young audiences.

I don't think that was a part of their reasoning. Aren't the first two rated R?

Zalis116 wrote:
...and they totally glossed over the Australian cultural complexities.

I am not defending the redub, but wouldn't any "Australian cultural complexities" go over the heads of American viewers anyway?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Nina Nina Nina, tsk tsk, how could you anger the master after all your training? Anime hyper
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Nina Nina Nina, tsk tsk, how could you anger the master after all your training? Anime hyper

It is because of her training that she could tick him off. After all, everyone knows that gruff Anime action heroes are almost always big softies on the inside.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

It is because of her training that she could tick him off. After all, everyone knows that gruff Anime action heroes are almost always big softies on the inside.

More squishy than softy, I think. Also sort of... oozing.
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
Though considering Fallout 3 just came out, it saddens me to see this many people in this thread unaware of the identity of the person in charge of running Barter Town.

Master Blaster?

I preferred Barter Town under the cold hard thumb of Tina Turner, myself.

But aside from Mad Max not being an "American" film, I'd argue that Road House was far more "bada**, and it was, in fact, an American film. And let us not forget Die Hard... Nina obviously understood this and that is why she was snickering. Anime smile
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
kaizen-dono wrote:
OK that settles it this guy is obviously one of these people who's seen nothing aside from HnK thinks that its the "ultimate manly action experience" and anyone who disagrees with him is a little girl.

Indeed. He's a man who thinks the objective, honest truth.

Though considering Fallout 3 just came out, it saddens me to see this many people in this thread unaware of the identity of the person in charge of running Barter Town.

I thought Yor: The Hunter from the Future, was The MAN, his theme song says so, you can download it here along with a very thorough review of this awesome film Wink

Oh yeah and Nina got out of there just in time before she got the HnK treatment, of course her clothing would strategicaly rip before her body blew into chunks. Razz

And anime like Demon Soldier M.D. Geist, HnK and Go Nagai Super Robot Shows demostrate to us lowly mortals the height of awesomenes of the ultimate manly ideal. the world would be a whole lot better if we all followed this ideal... WWKKD? What would Koji Kabuto do? and it will never steer you wrong in life. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
i love the road warrior and mad max, i thought the third one beyond the thunderdrome was the worst of the three.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
Oh, god don't even remind me of Robotech it was a piece of crap, Macross and Southern Cross by themselves were awesome

Don't forget Mospeada.

And let's not forget (shudders)...ugh...Case Closed, guh, damn you Tokyo Movie Shinsha (TMS Entertainment)!!

We already have to deal with your crappy international edits, with no Japanese credits, but "Englished" credits (This happened in Virtua Fighter, Rayearth, Lupin, B'T X, Space Cobra,Saint Tail, and numerous others, thankfully ADV films was spared when they licensed Devilman Lady/Devil Lady let's hope this doesn't happen with D.GrayMan and Ken'ichi), and why did the force FUNimation to change Shin'ichi Kudo's name to....(you know I'm not even gonna say it), the name changes ruined the dub for me)

Vicserr wrote:
I thought Yor: The Hunter from the Future, was The MAN, his theme song says so, you can download it here along with a very thorough review of this awesome film Wink

Oh yeah and Nina got out of there just in time before she got the HnK treatment, of course her clothing would strategically rip before her body blew into chunks. Razz

And anime like Demon Soldier M.D. Geist, HnK and Go Nagai Super Robot Shows demonstrate to us lowly mortals the height of awesomeness of the ultimate manly ideal. the world would be a whole lot better if we all followed this ideal... WWKKD? What would Koji Kabuto do? and it will never steer you wrong in life. Cool

WWKKD?, Yeah what would Koji Kabuto do?
Why not ask his son Tetsuya Kouji from Godannar, if he's not busy ogling Shizuru
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:

WWKKD?, Yeah what would Koji Kabuto do?
Why not ask his son Tetsuya Kouji from Godannar, if he's not busy ogling Shizuru

Technically 'he's a Homage character to Koji Kabuto and Tetsuya Tsurugi, pilots of Mazinger Z / MazinKaiser (If you haven't watched this awesome series, What the Heck are you waiting for?!) and Great Mazinger respectively and he would have rocked hard in Godannar if the creators would have given him a better robot. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
Maybe Nina will exhibit her "action powers" later... & Kevin was kidding about what he learned to do at the hentai panel!
That's what Kevin wants you to think. Twisted Evil
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
So ends the interesting, yet enjoyable Guru arc. Though I didn't have a chance to comment on the last comics, I did enjoy reading them.

Great comic though, Nina's expressions were priceless. Great job Robin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4