• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Stop Releasing New DVDs, BDs, Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, F***. Couldn't care less about Ichijou or Gosick, but I was really looking forward to finally adding Turn A Gundam to my collection Anime cry

BE had lots of great shows (including many of my all time favorites) in their catalogue, so it's a real pity to see them stop releasing new stuff. Guess it's time to start picking up the ones I'm still missing.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I think most people saw the writing on the wall which is why I have made getting Bandai Ent anime a priority. Missing a couple stuff that has been OoP for years. I think Gundam Wing is safe for now so I don't have to get it right now.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

Well I know they use Bang Zoom and Ocean Group for a majority of their stuff so that means they will probably have less work and Bang Zoom will probably stop dubbing anime. Ocean Group will still have work.

Well, Media Blasters and Aniplex sometimes use Bang Zoom! and they're still around. BZ likely has some non-anime stuff they work on, like video games.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Awww man, I was steadily getting my hopes up for a Turn A boxset being released this year, but it seems to have been all for nought. I'm not really a big fan of digital releases (I like holding my collectables darnit!) and I hope at some point a resolution for physical media collectors like myself becomes available. So sad!
Arcarsenal8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
On the May 6, 2010 episode of ANNCast (51 minute mark), Eric Sherman alluded to this happening. He said that Bandai producers told him that they had everything riding on Haruhi, Haruhi-chan, the Haruhi movie, and one other title and if those didn't do well, that was it for Bandai. I would guess that the other title was K-on! I believe that at the time, Bandai denied this, but I could be wrong.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm starting to think anime will go away soon. We can't have that happen.
I blame Cartoon Network for this. They screwed over Bandai so much over the years. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Supermutant

talk about a sucky way to start the new year. UGH! Sad I really thinking of going to bed and not getting up anymore after the last 8 days.

Last edited by Supermutant on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

RyanSaotome wrote:
Would they still keep DVD rights for the stuff they cancelled, like Nichijou and Gosick? Or do they forfeit them?

Yeah, I'm really curious on this. If those rights haven't reverted back to Kadokawa and Bandai won't/can't sublicense them, are we just without a North American video release for seven years or however long? That would be pretty frustrating. I guess it would make no difference if other R1 companies aren't interested in those titles anyway, though.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to see another company exit the R1 industry and even sadder to see so many non-troll "yay!!!!!" replies to this.

mgosdin wrote:
I wonder if this is maybe more an example of how having the same region for Blu-Ray in the U.S. and Japan is begining to impact the Anime business in the U.S.

Mark Gosdin

I don't see that being the case at all. I kinda don't understand how it would be. Are you saying that so many people were buying $30+ per episode Japanese releases that Bandai couldn't compete at their significantly lower price points?

ittoujuu wrote:
I guess that is my big question: what's gonna happen to Bandai's catalog?

The press release said that they will continue to print discs for series until the license expires. Although I would imagine that if a series was a flop they will probably just lay it to rest unless they have enough orders to justify another print run. Basically, if you want something ultra popular you don't need to worry but if it was niche and small you might want to grab it asap.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
This is disappointing. Not only because people are losing their jobs, but also because I was planning on buying Turn A Gundam; a series I've never seen.

While most of my collection comes from FUNi, Anime works, and Sentai, this is one sad way to bring in the new year, as an anime fan.
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Would they still keep DVD rights for the stuff they cancelled, like Nichijou and Gosick? Or do they forfeit them?

Yeah, I'm really curious on this. If those rights haven't reverted back to Kadokawa and Bandai won't/can't sublicense them, are we just without a North American video release for seven years or however long? That would be pretty frustrating. I guess it would make no difference if other R1 companies aren't interested in those titles anyway, though.

I'm cringing just at the thought of comparing it to Viz, but that's what it seems like it'll be, unless they make a contract with someone like Funimation.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I don't see that being the case at all. I kinda don't understand how it would be. Are you saying that so many people were buying $30+ per episode Japanese releases that Bandai couldn't compete at their significantly lower price points?

It's the exact opposite, rather. Since the market here is so much less expensive, the sharing of a region means the Japanese fear that reverse importation will cripple their [expensive] domestic market.

So in most cases Blu-ray releases here are often negotiated to be released with enough of a delay to not have that impact. Pushing back a release 6 months to a year here certainly hurts its sales compared to when it's fresh and new. Madoka's release is one of the examples of contract limitation, as it's not allowed to be shipped to Japan, however it's not all that cheap here either.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear about this, especially for those who are losing their jobs. Sad Now with the new year starting I'm curious to know what licenses they have that will expire the earliest.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What? Turn A is cancelled?

What will happen to Gundam Unicorn?

I don't know, but this is terrible news, and I knew it was coming too. There were so many signs that BANDAI was done for, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow this pill. I am extremely disappointed in knowing that so many great future titles may never be released. For me in particular, I worry greatly about the future of the Gundam franchise. In addition, as a Code Geass fan, I am severely disappointed about that cancellation of the new manga, and the now likely scenario that the new anime coming out this year may never see a North American release.

BANDAI was once my favorite North American anime company, but over the past couple of years they have clearly shown the level of distress they were in, based on the lack of new releases and the way in which their releases were actually hitting the market. I am deeply saddened by this development. Losing another company right now (alright, they aren't technically gone I know, but they're virtually going to be disappearing now) is about the last thing we need. And don't expect FUNi to do what they did with Geneon's releases this time around, they can't release everything you know.

*Sigh*, I just....I'm just so depressed right now because of this. I loved BANDAI, I really did. Some of my favorite titles of all time have come from them. I just wish...so, so much that this didn't have to happen. You have no idea how much I was hoping for them to rebound from these troubles and come out okay. But it just wasn't meant to be I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, another one going down. Guess this means we'll have Bandai go bye-bye for good in the next few years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 24