• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Most Notable) of 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
It isn't really that tough to figure out, people.

Theron directly references Madoka Magica as the show that "would" have been the winner in a category if it'd been released in R1 in 2011. Obviously this is based on R1 2011 releases, either on disc, streaming or simulcasting.

Oh also the title of the article might tip you off on this mystery!
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought that 2011 was a superb year for Anime series, and not just because of PMMM. I know there were plenty of titles that aren't eligible because they weren't simulcasted or whatever, but to say the entire year was bad or even sub-par is utterly wrong. Just wrong.

I know Carl and Theron were going for the controversial route but there was no justification for hating on the entire year's worth of shows. And the ones they picked were crazy. Ben-to? Really?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the lack of Mawaru Peguindrum is rather saddening. *sigh* All well...

Theron wrote:
Shinji has long been reviled (and not without justification) as one of anime's biggest anti-heroes, but this represents the first time in the entire franchise that he whole-heartedly goes after something because he wants it, rather than because he's expected to or has no choice. We've seen a desperate Shinji many times, but never before a truly fiercely determined and genuinely heroic Shinji.

And to think that, by following his heart, he almost spoiler[started the 3rd Impact if it wasn't for a "certain Angel" stopping him.] Congratulations, indeed!!
But yeah, that was a really touching moment. ^__^
kufirst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Need to watch Cross Game!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the basic statement about the quality of shows in 2011. There was probably a higher average of "Good" shows than last, but a lower amount of "Great" shows, and I say that on a judgement of just shows released in Japan in 2011 and with differences in opinion on which were the great ones..

For instance. In 2010 I rated the first season of Kimi Ni Todoke at #5 on my personal Top Ten, this year the second season was #2... but I actually liked the first season a bit more.

(And Nichijou was my #1)

BTW, If you haven't seen it yet I made a thread for personal faves n the general section, if you want to go off subject on how your choices differ from these, I invite you to join in that topic as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Theron directly references Madoka Magica as the show that "would" have been the winner in a category if it'd been released in R1 in 2011. Obviously this is based on R1 2011 releases, either on disc, streaming or simulcasting.

What mystery? No one seems to be confused about Madoka not winning anything. The only mention of it seems to be annoyance at it not being simulcasted.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

There is a category for "unlicensed gem." Penguintruth could be upset it didn't get mentioned there.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Zac wrote:

What mystery? No one seems to be confused about Madoka not winning anything. The only mention of it seems to be annoyance at it not being simulcasted.

Well, people have been questioning why certain other shows weren't mentioned though. Like this quote below.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Not a single mention of Mawaru Penguindrum. Sad

I guess this is only for anime which has been released to people in America either by way of streaming or home video regardless actual airing date. That is what I am telling myself in order to explain Guin Saga and Allison & Lillia being on a Best of 2011 list.

See? ArenicSteel at least clearly didn't realize that this was only for shows that got US releases this year.

OneWayRoad wrote:
Like someone said before, I cannot believe Steins;Gate did not appear in this post.

As sad as I am that Steins;Gate didn't get highlighted, one thing to remember is that this Theron and Carl's best of 2011. This isn't meant to be a definitive list of THE best of 2011, just the best of what Theron and Carl have seen. And Theron at least has not seen Steins;Gate, aside from maybe the first couple episodes or so that he did for the preview guide, and I am fairly certain Carl hasn't seen the full series either.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Nice to see Angel Beats! get some love! I thought the show was really delightful (pacing problems and some uggo animation aside) but I don't know ANYONE else who liked it. Which is strange because I keep hearing that it's some sort of big fan favorite or something? Weird!

Agreed. I actually first got interested in the series because I heard a lot of good things about it, but after watching it myself, all I ever heard were complaints! I can see how some people don't like it, but I for one loved it and was glad to see it mentioned.

And while I was happy to see Summer Wars as well, I kind of expected that one. I did NOT expect to see Kekkaishi listed for Best Death Scene, though, and that one probably got the biggest cheer out of me to see it included. I won't try to argue that others aren't better, but I for one loved that scene. The series being in the shonen vein, I assumed on the first watch that everything would be ok and the character would be fine and - oh hey, there's the funeral. I was sad, but also kind of impressed. Not that shonen characters don't die, but spoiler[for a young, main character who was actually given quite a bit of character development to die at his peak? It's no Hughes from FMA, but it did leave quite the impact.] All that and I just liked the character. :P
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
See? ArenicSteel at least clearly didn't realize that this was only for shows that got US releases this year.

What about "Unlicensed Gems?" That's where Penguindrum could have (and should have) been.

EDIT: Though that kind of strays from the point anyway.
EDIT2: This has gotten more long-winded than it needed to be. The point was that no one was wondering why Madoka didn't win any awards.

Last edited by Red Fox of Fire on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

What about "Unlicensed Gems?" That's where Penguindrum could have (and should have) been.

True, there is that category, but I assume Zac wasn't responding to posts that were just wondering about the unlicensed gem category.

Penguindrum was never mentioned in the article at all, so...

Theron wrote:
And that's it for this year. As always, Carl and I sampled almost everything that came out legally in 2011 but hardly had a chance to watch out everything, so it is entirely possible that we simply missed something fitting. But that's what the Reply thread is for, isn't it? Any other last thoughts, Carl?

Or at least that would be my guess for why it's not mentioned.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
The point was that no one was wondering why Madoka didn't win any awards.

Probably because it has been licensed, and will be released next year, and will probably win a bunch of stuff then, barring the appearance of an unforeseen huge series. They're trying to play fair.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
/gets up from his chair
/clap clap clap clap

Well done Key and Carl. Well done. I liked with most of your picks (though I agreed with Key's more), although I haven't watched some of them, so I'll be sure to check them out.

Also, the lack of a K-on! mention puts my heart at ease.

C'mon NISA, give us Anohana, will ya?
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Happy to see Allison & Lillia get a little love/recognition, Tameiki no Hashi is a great opening tune - reminds me of some the songs from the great Haibane Renmei OST. Usually, just to save time, I will FF through the OP & ED after I've seen a few episodes (especially if it's a longer series) - this is one I will listen to all the way through every time.

I really liked the character of Allison, don't we all wish we knew someone like her in our adolescence. People remark of others having a "magnetic personality", Allison has what I like to call a "catalytic personality" - would Will have become anything like he turned out if he hadn't have met her?

Mrs. B-503 would like to pass on her agreement with the choice of Saga from Guin Saga as Closer of the Year -& yes, some of that dub was so bad I wonder if it was intentional... It did almost ruin Guin Saga but we both enjoyed the show, one "almost-FotNS level of violence" scene was close for my "Scene of the Year" - spoiler[the one where Guin hits the Mongaul soldier on the head & drives him straight into the ground.]
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Aw man, not even a mention of Mazinkaiser SKL (yes, I will never shut about this series)? Crying or Very sad I thought it would at least merit a Guilty Pleasure award...

And no Izaya for Biggest Bastard? Though I gotta admit, that Gosick guy certainly seems like a worthy candidate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8