• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spielberg, Smith Reportedly Adapting Old Boy Manga Itself

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
krownklown wrote:
thats such bs, why don't you make your adaptations (i am legend, this) before someone else does, saying your basing on the source material doesnt really change anything, its still like your remaking

What? Like how Tim Burton made another adaption of the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but people thought he remade Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

I probably won't see this remake/adaption of Oldboy if it does come out, considering how bad Will Smith's movie's have been lately.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's not going to be about making something entertaining, as much as making some social commentary like that jerk-off version of "A History of Violence".

I disagree with a lot of what you say, but I couldn't agree more with that statement.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Gilaskan: I appreciate Smith's venture into the Oscar-bait territory, but his whole persona is why it makes it hard for him to take as an edgy actor. He needs to do more low-key projects first, like Depp and Cruise. Otherwise, he might just end up like Hanks after The Terminal, Ladykillers, and The Da Vinci Code-a guy who can only sell a high-profile flick which caters to audiences with low expectations.

As for Spielberg, he was the biggest once, but like Lucas, his time has passed. Now he's willing to slap his name on dumb b-movies like Indy 4 and Transformers, because he knows they'll make money anyway, not because he believes in them. And if he has that much pull, he wouldn't be forced to join and leave Paramount.

Finally, The Departed sucked, compared to the original. It was too long, wasted my time with pointless curse words, and did nothing to make me feel for the characters. Infernal Affairs is the superior film. Also, it's an original film, and is not based on any manga. And Marty is not that big; he can get big talent, but he doesn't rake in the big bucks. The award he received was really to make up for the Academy snubbing Raging Bull and Goodfellas.

Onan: So you've read the comic? Wink
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
This is, without a doubt, a very major deal, to have, for the first time, a Director/Star of this caliber to adapt a Japanese manga. I'm very excited.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Proman: It's not technically the first time. Spielberg had the movie rights to Astroboy for a while, and he's also producing GITS-assuming he doesn't give up like Cameron did on Battle Angel.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I really love the manga, and I haven't seen the movie spoiler[so I'm guessing that the father daughter incest comes from the film version. ] Personally, I'm not to excited about this venture. I've never really cared for Will Smith as a serious actor, but I don't think I've really given him a chance. The two recent films he did do were absolutely terrible in their adaptation of the literature. I Robot was completely unfaithful to the original novel, and I Am Legend didn't even bother to keep the original endingspoiler[ and replaced it with a more optimistic one (although it does look like they originally intended to release the darker ending, I'm sure the studio had something to do with this).] I seriously doubt that Spielberg, Smith, and the studio that decides to release this film would really have the guts to keep the original ending from the manga. I hope they prove me wrong though Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Cosplay: I think the I, Robot movie was meant to be an original story which conveyed Asimov's themes and ideas in general. Haven't seen either version of I Am Legend, though.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Hard R or go home, Speilberg.

It's not like he hasn't made "hard R" movies before. I don't understand the paranoia of Hollywood butchering or toning down adaptations. They're not the only ones who do it....

I don't understand the point of being a devil's advocate either. Rolling Eyes
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Cosplay: I think the I, Robot movie was meant to be an original story which conveyed Asimov's themes and ideas in general. Haven't seen either version of I Am Legend, though.

That's fine, but I would have preferred an actual adaptation of the set of short stories rather than a summary of them. It's one of my favorites of Asimov's books, I don't think anything would have come close to the actual book (nerd rage Twisted Evil )
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
Cosplaybunny wrote:
GATSU wrote:

That's fine, but I would have preferred an actual adaptation of the set of short stories rather than a summary of them. It's one of my favorites of Asimov's books, I don't think anything would have come close to the actual book (nerd rage Twisted Evil )

What I would like to see is a faithful adaptation of the Robot Trilogy, although I'm not sure that would be feasible. As for I Am Legend, I haven't seen the original's ending, but I understand that the DVD release has an alternate ending which is apparently much better (I assume that the alternate follows the original's, but I'm not sure).

Back on topic...admittedly, I haven't read the manga or seen the movie, but I think adapting Old Boy from its original form is the right decision. They'll end up with a better movie this way than one that is twice removed from the original story. I think there's every chance for this to be a good adaptation with Will Smith aiming for an Oscar, but we'll see...
Lames

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Why in the hell is anyone talking about an Oscar? I may be alone in thinking this, but the original movie never really struck me as something that would ever be considered Oscar material. And although Will Smith certainly does big movies, that doesn't mean he's a good actor. He'll always be the fresh prince of bel-air to me.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I don't understand the point of being a devil's advocate either. Rolling Eyes

Nice hyperbole. Neutral I'm not "advocating" anything. The script hasn't even been finalized for this movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Lames wrote:
Why in the hell is anyone talking about an Oscar? I may be alone in thinking this, but the original movie never really struck me as something that would ever be considered Oscar material. And although Will Smith certainly does big movies, that doesn't mean he's a good actor. He'll always be the fresh prince of bel-air to me.

Some movies are just made to be oscar fodder. It's the manga not the movie that they are planning on adapting. And from what I've gathered it seems like the film and the manga make major deviations. The manga has an interesting plot and personally is one of the best manga I read this year. In fact I read all 8 volumes in one sitting Shocked, I'm still not sure how I did that. I can see them make possible oscar material out of the manga.
Lames

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
Cosplaybunny wrote:
Some movies are just made to be oscar fodder. It's the manga not the movie that they are planning on adapting. And from what I've gathered it seems like the film and the manga make major deviations. The manga has an interesting plot and personally is one of the best manga I read this year. In fact I read all 8 volumes in one sitting Shocked, I'm still not sure how I did that. I can see them make possible oscar material out of the manga.

Oh alright. I didn't realize the film/manga versions were so different. Anyway, I'm probably not going to see this and I don't really care how they make it, what changes they make, or how well it does. I'm still getting over the possibility that Keanu "i can't emote" Reeves may be in the live action Bebop movie.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Lames wrote:
He'll always be the fresh prince of bel-air to me.

Seconded. Were I to watch this, I'd be constantly habitually identifying Smith's character as Will Smith and not the fictional person he's playing, due to how familiar a person he is. I have similar complaints with respect to The Departed (but in such a case the main characters' respective fates compensated).
Seeing unfamiliar faces for lead roles would avoid this problem for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3