• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Anime Updates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
For the Super Milk-chan show, obviously Adult Swim is going to use ADV's second dubbing; the one with the American jokes, right?

Lets hope that this doesn't even get on TV, Its a very vulgar show (at least the dub is)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I just took a moment to see what this "Super Milk-chan" thing is. WHY would anyone want to replace Case Closed with a vulgar show with animation that can be compared to the Powerpuff Girls? I could understand the animation argument for the cancellation of Case Closed if they weren't replacing it with this garbage.
Onv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Anti-Mainstreamist wrote:
I just took a moment to see what this "Super Milk-chan" thing is. WHY would anyone want to replace Case Closed with a vulgar show with animation that can be compared to the Powerpuff Girls? I could understand the animation argument for the cancellation of Case Closed if they weren't replacing it with this garbage.

If your name is Anti-Mainstreamist why the hell are you watching Cartoon Network?
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Animation doesn't completely make an anime just like graphics do not make a video game. Don't blow something off just because it looks bad. Otherwise you'll be missing alot of great stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, not only that, ADV just recently licensed this, it aired nearly 4 years ago in Japan. I wonder what sparked ADV's interest in Super Milk-chan?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Oh, not only that, ADV just recently licensed this, it aired nearly 4 years ago in Japan. I wonder what sparked ADV's interest in Super Milk-chan?

If you listen to the english commentary track of the first disc of Milk-chan they talk about why they got it. I agree, it is 4 years too late.

Now I am wonder if ADV is also considering to put Cromartie on CN/AS, like a lot of people have been asking about?
Anti-Mainstreamist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Onv wrote:

If your name is Anti-Mainstreamist why the hell are you watching Cartoon Network?

I would like to take a moment to explain my name. I don't like most mainstream media such as Friends or anything that ever aired on MTV. Some of it is good(Seinfeld, I must admit, is good). I know this sounds stupid, but I don't like shows with a large fanbase. The more fans, the more idiots in the fanbase. SOme of my dislike for mainstream media is the media, but also I like the smaller communities of fans who aren't l33t idiots LOL1111111111one11111!!1111 Oh yeah, and most mainstream media is bad or extended past its prime(poor Simpsons, you used to be a good show). I'd prefer Invader Zim over Friends or Family guy or MTV any day.
RedvsBlue wrote:

Animation doesn't completely make an anime just like graphics do not make a video game. Don't blow something off just because it looks bad. Otherwise you'll be missing alot of great stuff.
I was not saying I don't like the show because its bad, I'm just saying that people say Case Closed's animation was bad and Tempest said it may have been animation quality. I don't like the show because it is a vulgar no-point series stuffed with drunks and drug addicts and, not only is it a bad series, but it is a bad series with a bad dub.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised at all that Conan's not getting picked up again. It's probably because of how poorly it was treated. Detective Conan is cool, but I refuse to watch Case Closed
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Meh for crying out loud, you all need a bit of neck wringing <.<

anyways, Case CLosed is not being replaced by Milk chan

I would think milk chan would be put on sundays with the rest of the same crap albeit funny crap

and case closed was not a horrid change to the series x_x th enaimation..maybe, but as i see it, it's a detective show, although really popular in japan, how popular is it with people here? look at all detective shows we have had over the last couple decades, c'mon x_X it's a niche market
Onv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The animation of Detective Conan is good, especiallyf or the time it came out originally. Infact the animation is still good today. I don't know why people have a problem with older animation.
Moonstruck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I was liking Conan (ignoring the Amerian names). Crying or Very sad That last episode they aired was the best. I wish they would tell us why they're taking it off. Crying or Very sad
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't see Conan's weak point being its supposed dated style, I really just see it as the sheer fact that no one really likes it. I also honestly feel that the lack of fanservice may have something to do with it. There aren't hot chicks, pretty boys, or huggable demons to latch onto. It may be popular in Japan, but I think the American audience is more finicky and less patient to stick around with a series that doesn't offer them instant gratification - kid detective isn't neccessarily something that sounds appealing off the bat. The genre of the series just doesn't appeal to the adult swim audience. I also think the fact that it's an incredibly long series with no end in sight makes it somewhat discouraging to viewers. I would think it's a fairly large gamble for CN to commit to such a long series without any guarantee ratings will climb.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:46 pm Reply with quote
tempest:
Quote:
Good also be the very low technical quality of the material. FUNimation hasn't bothered to restore this show at all, it looks like a 10-year old VHS.

Could be the result of whatever the licensor gave them.

Anti-Mainstreamist:
Quote:
I just took a moment to see what this "Super Milk-chan" thing is. WHY would anyone want to replace Case Closed with a vulgar show with animation that can be compared to the Powerpuff Girls?

Because PPG gets better ratings than Conan?

Romuska:
Quote:
I'm not surprised at all that Conan's not getting picked up again. It's probably because of how poorly it was treated.

All things considered, FUNimation showed a lot more support for Conan than Viz.

liancoop:
Quote:
I also honestly feel that the lack of fanservice may have something to do with it. There aren't hot chicks, pretty boys, or huggable demons to latch onto.

You have a point. Even in the fansub world, Conan was one of the least distributed. I'm actually surprised FUNimation licensed it. Perhaps the Japanese just go for it, because they love the set-ups of the cases more than the progression of the story.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:19 pm Reply with quote
RedvsBlue wrote:

I agree with you on that. Case in pont, Lupin III. Lupin animation is REALLY dated, yet the show itself is GREAT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Onv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
RedvsBlue wrote:

I agree with you on that. Case in pont, Lupin III. Lupin animation is REALLY dated, yet the show itself is GREAT.

The animation is dated but it is still great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6