• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dublin Film Fest to Show Summer Wars, Redline in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea this was coming up. If it wasn't for ANN I'd never see anime in the cinema.

Redline and Laputa are the only two I'm interested in (I've seen Summer Wars already). Can anyone here recommend them? Laputa always seems to be Miyazaki's "forgotten movie" since I never hear anyone talk about it, and I can't say I'm a big fan of the whole grungy aesthetic of Redline.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I can testify that Laputa is fantastic; it's my favorite Miyazaki movie. It's an awesome adventure story rather along the lines of the Castle of Calgiostro, and it has a really rich, well-realized steampunk setting and great visuals. The characters are all awesome too. It's just flawless.

Also, this looks like an awesome event! I hope a lot of people get to enjoy it!
Scamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I had no idea this was coming up. If it wasn't for ANN I'd never see anime in the cinema.

Redline and Laputa are the only two I'm interested in (I've seen Summer Wars already). Can anyone here recommend them? Laputa always seems to be Miyazaki's "forgotten movie" since I never hear anyone talk about it, and I can't say I'm a big fan of the whole grungy aesthetic of Redline.

And I can vouch for Redline. You will want to punch yourself in the groin for missing out on this on a big screen. The narrative isn't the strong point, so watching it on a puny laptop screen will diminish the experience significantly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1