• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haganai: I don't have many friends BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hojo 360

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Overall dub D hmmmmm did we watch the same Anime Question
CBongo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Seconding most of Animegomaniac's sentiments. Though, judged on its own without the benefit of seeing season 2, I can understand the criticism of "not plotty enough". Season 1 really is just the club goofing around, and the second season starts to drill down into the whys, and specifically Kodaka's character development (and his conscious choice *not* to develop!)

I would definitely not recommend watching just season 1, at any rate. The groundwork for the second half is too subtle (when it's even present at all) that it just doesn't stand alone. I would attribute that more to the business end of things rather than an artistic flaw ("We want to make Haganai into an anime. Let's make a one-cour fan-servicey goofy comedy as a proof-of-concept so we can justify making the meatier (Sena-ier?) second half."
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
If we don't support their release of Season 1 then that doesn't exactly spur Funimation on to greatness. I understand that they have it streaming now, and that since they aren't Sentai Filmworks (Sentai makes it damn hard for me to be a fan of theirs) the odds are pretty high that it will get a dubbed physical release. That said, the show being damned to Streaming Purgatory is still a possibility. Hopefully I'm concerned about nothing. Wink

Quote:
I HATED Maria's voice in the original Japanese, but it grew on me after a time to be able to tolerate it. The dub had me missing the Japanese. Jerry Jewell had Kodaka be way too deadpan and not intimidating enough in the areas he needed to be in. Ain't nobody gonna be scared of that voice...

Also, while I know that Rika speaks in third person, but it sounds just awful in English. I really wish they didn't bother keeping that quirk of hers. Other than that, Rika's VA was spot on!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one whose ears almost bled at the horror of Kristi Kang's performance as Maria. Though I must say that I liked Rika speaking in the 3rd person as it was an integral part of her character. I just wish that they'd been more consistent with it (as, just like with Raizer Phoenix in DxD, there were several weird lapses where they referred to themselves in the first person).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
giseki wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Also lol at grading a harem comedy low for not having a thought provoking and epic story. Never change, ANN.

agreed. this is one of those shows that can't be objectively assessed unless your a fan of the genre....and then i guess it wouldn't be exactly objective..maybe...idk...anyway i enjoyed it...haven't got round to season 2 yet...

You shouldn't have to be ravenous about a genre to say you can truly appreciate the show. It should just be good, regardless of what it is.

The problem with saying this is that at the same time, you're saying that something needs to be made as generic as possible for the masses instead of making a show as good as it can be for a certain demographic. Thats the problem with most mainstream entertainment mediums... they are so hellbent on making everything as generic and inoffensive as possible to appeal to everyone, instead of making something that would appeal to certain groups that would like it far more. A really good harem comedy made for harem comedy fans would be far more enjoyable then one that tries to be completely politically correct, or adding unneeded action scenes or "Deep" story elements to appeal to everyone.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
I, for one, wouldn't mind a harem comedy with bona fide deep story elements.

Though I'll settle for one with a "trope subverting" male protagonist: I want another Goldenboy, or to see some more characters like Issei from DxD, only with some follow-through on the intent; speaking of DxD, we need a harem show with a protagonist more like Raizer.

It's a crying shame that one of the "manliest" male harem leads that we've had in a while was the guy from Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Though I'll settle for one with a "trope subverting" male protagonist: I want another Goldenboy, or to see some more characters like Issei from DxD, only with some follow-through on the intent; speaking of DxD, we need a harem show with a protagonist more like Raizer.

didn't we get one in the from of Akatsuki Ousawa from Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Thats the problem with most mainstream entertainment mediums... they are so hellbent on making everything as generic and inoffensive as possible to appeal to everyone, instead of making something that would appeal to certain groups that would like it far more.

There's a limit to that though. For instance, if they only make shows specifically just for, say, reality TV fans or soap opera fans or Family Guy gag comedy fans or Adult Swim fans or CW teen fans, etc., then if you're not in any of those type of fans, then it's like having thousand channels but nothing to watch. Or maybe just 2 or 3 channels for each fan, and each channel having, say, only 2899 fans who may be quite fanatic about it but it's still just 2899 fans to support each channel, or 0.003% Neilsen ratings - which obviously wouldn't be good for the industry as a whole. So they can't be too exclusive.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
I thought that it was a funny harem anime whose artwork was a pretty good vehicle. Nothing too strong, but not necessarily a clone of everything else in the genre.

The supporting characters are underdeveloped, but that is because they left them for the second season which is WAY better for it, a rarity for such a good sequel that is almost reason enough to go through the first as one arc.
tehyar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Comparing this anime to others that have received similar grading makes this judgement seem overly harsh. I agree that I found myself wishing for more "meat", but I still quite enjoyed it. In my estimation, something deserving this grading should make me grimace with regret when I remember it.
giseki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
tehyar wrote:
Comparing this anime to others that have received similar grading makes this judgement seem overly harsh. I agree that I found myself wishing for more "meat", but I still quite enjoyed it. In my estimation, something deserving this grading should make me grimace with regret when I remember it.

Anime hyper spot on....Very Happy
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer made some valid points but that didn't stop me from throughly enjoying the series.
pws_37

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
tehyar wrote:

Agreed.

I think the reviewer has misunderstood the story just as Kodaka is misunderstood by his classmates. Such irony! Haganai is told from Kodaka's viewpoint which is uninvolved, laconic and understated. He has surrendered to being perpetually misunderstood. So what happens when someone like that meets a collection of similarly detached, unhappy people?

Kodaka drifts through the story just as he drifted into the situation to begin with. (Did they keep the numerous sighs in the dubbed version?) The music mirrors his viewpoint. Nothing fancy is needed and in fact would be counter to the story's theme. The characters are not believable as real people, but that is not a requirement for any TV show the last I checked.spoiler[ The story does not develop the characters, but Kodaka is not really interested in developing his relationships with them either.] The show is more at being a character study than it is plot driven.

So how do you make any kind of show out of that? That is where Haganai succeeds. It faces limitations (and reaches a bit for some episodes such as resorting to fan service), but it was able to maintain my interest anyway because the question is always there of what will Kodaka make of his situation. Can he rise above his chosen isolation? spoiler[That he is narrating the story should give a clue, but you want better for the characters and hope.]

FWIW, I thought Yukimura had the most hilarious line in the first season. I bet the reviewer missed that, too.
Mugley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The problem with saying this is that at the same time, you're saying that something needs to be made as generic as possible for the masses instead of making a show as good as it can be for a certain demographic. Thats the problem with most mainstream entertainment mediums... they are so hellbent on making everything as generic and inoffensive as possible to appeal to everyone, instead of making something that would appeal to certain groups that would like it far more. A really good harem comedy made for harem comedy fans would be far more enjoyable then one that tries to be completely politically correct, or adding unneeded action scenes or "Deep" story elements to appeal to everyone.

In Japan you can make shows and they only gotta sell 8000 copies to be a success and get more made. Aim it at the fans and let them decide if it's a success or not. Your big booby comedy doesn't have to appeal to 50 year old women or 5 year old kids, it has to appeal to people to like big booby comedy anime. Your fujoshi boy love homoerotic stuff doesn't have to be aimed at the masses, it gets aimed at people who love homoerotic boy love stuff. That's what makes anime so diverse and a great medium. It's kinda misguided to just say a show should be able to "stand on it's own" because that's the kind of thinking that creatively killed a lot of media in America by standardizing everything to appeal to the lowest common denominator and gets as many sales or views as possible.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:
I think the overall grading was a little harsh. The animation is very good, though obviously Buriki has better art in the light novels. It's mainly a comedy show that runs on gag humor. Also there's a story line, it just does not develop much in the first season. The supporting characters get a lot more development in season 2, and the reason for the club is revealed in that season as well.

Well l liked this series. sure there are definite flaws , but its a solid anime comedy that's worth a rental at least. and the negatives is actually a positive if anyone wants a series to rent for a weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
barrelroller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
This is one of the few shows in a year that I'll actually watch a harem anime. For whatever reason, I chose this one. Last year, I chose Chaos;head (not a total harem but damn close) because I saw some people here compare it to vastly superior Steins;gate. If I had to review Chaos;head in two words, I'd just say: it's bad.

I'm probably six or so episodes in Haganai, and as most people, I do have mixed feelings about the anime so far. The comment ANN made about the actors being nervous on saying half the lines couldn't of been any more true. This anime can truly go off the deep end when it goes in those sort of scenes. But then the scenes when the characters are arguing or just talking, they seem to generally do well.

I'd actually like to see the anime go somewhere or actually do something. spoiler[I feel the "make friends" goal has been accomplished by halfway through the series.] I'm just hoping that something can at least save it by the time I finish it. That aside, I really can't say too much more about it.

But it sure is more entertaining than Chaos;head. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3