• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (all seasons, OAVs, movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakurafice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
i prefer subs Anime hyper
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
You're set then, Japanese cast is the same... There are a couple interviews as extras that make the OAVs a buy for me but, then again, I tend to buy anything GitS related (within reason).
Shawn Shaolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Dubs in GITS:SAC/2nd GIG were superb. Everyone on the English cast really did a great job in my eyes, and it kept me in the show. The plot was always intriguing, and I loved searching through all the backstory involved with the anime. I enjoyed the show. I could spot no problems with the plot, or dubs, or pacing of episodes. Top notch work.
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
SAC was actually one of the few shows that i prefer dubbed. I found it flowed alot better and that the voices were better matched. Now need to get my hands on 2nd GIG and compare Confused
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Flame-G102 wrote:
Personally, I really couldn't get into Second Gig's story as much as the first... I can't identify why. I just- didn't like it as much... I enjoyed the episode with Motoko in that little mystery shop, where spoiler[ we find out about her past when she first got her prosthetic body] and near the end it started to pick up a bit, but in between, meeeh. I also felt that Proto was terribly underused. With what happens later on, I think they really could have given him a bigger side role.

Really? Now first season's story was amazing, but I felt that they upped it up with the second. I guess the reason why I enjoyed the second Gig better was due to Kuze. I related with him much more than the laughing man and felt that he had a more unique back story. And totally agree with your Proto suggestion, they should have given him a bigger side role.
SpudUK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or did the major's face take a bit of reconstuction work in the 2nd GIG? Its seemed narrower as it got closer to the chin, and her eyes looked more defined than the 1st series. Can't imagine that she'd have had another propectic body in that time. Maybe it's just a change in or better animation?
braves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Different character designers is the reason. Makoto Shimomura did the designs for the 1st season and Tetsuya Nishio and Takayuki Goto did the ones for the 2nd. I'm not really sure who's the one responsible for the Major.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
SpudUK wrote:
Is it just me, or did the major's face take a bit of reconstuction work in the 2nd GIG? Its seemed narrower as it got closer to the chin, and her eyes looked more defined than the 1st series. Can't imagine that she'd have had another propectic body in that time. Maybe it's just a change in or better animation?

You're probably noticing this because the animation directors for each episode each utilized subtly different sets of character designs. It kind of threw me off at first too, but that's what happened Razz Sometimes her face was more square, sometimes it was narrower, and sometimes they just went crazy with the hair highlights - it all depended on who was directing the episode. You can see it on the other characters too (particularly Togusa and Kayabuki), but it's particularly glaring with the Major, probably because she's so stylized to begin with.

I used to have a picture that showed who was responsible for how she looked in which episodes, but now I can't seem to find it...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
Shawn Shaolin wrote:
I thought the Dubs in GITS:SAC/2nd GIG were superb. Everyone on the English cast really did a great job in my eyes, and it kept me in the show. The plot was always intriguing, and I loved searching through all the backstory involved with the anime. I enjoyed the show. I could spot no problems with the plot, or dubs, or pacing of episodes. Top notch work.

grave_digger18 wrote:
SAC was actually one of the few shows that i prefer dubbed. I found it flowed alot better and that the voices were better matched. Now need to get my hands on 2nd GIG and compare Confused

Totally agree. Also made Innocence an excellent watch too having them there. They did another great job 2nd Gig so if you liked them before you'll definitely enjoy them again. Smile

After seeing SAC/2ndGig/SSS so many times, it actually makes it kind of difficult to watch the first movie again without the right voice for the Major, though it's still kind of double-take amazing that Batou and Aramaki were already there lol.
SpudUK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:

You're probably noticing this because the animation directors for each episode each utilized subtly different sets of character designs. It kind of threw me off at first too, but that's what happened Razz Sometimes her face was more square, sometimes it was narrower, and sometimes they just went crazy with the hair highlights - it all depended on who was directing the episode. You can see it on the other characters too (particularly Togusa and Kayabuki), but it's particularly glaring with the Major, probably because she's so stylized to begin with.

I used to have a picture that showed who was responsible for how she looked in which episodes, but now I can't seem to find it...

Ahh I see. Although the animation does seem a bit more consistent (in terms of models) in the first GIG than the 2nd IMO. I guess at the end of the day, the asthetics aren't everything. Very Happy
hakojo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
SpudUK wrote:

Ahh I see. Although the animation does seem a bit more consistent (in terms of models) in the first GIG than the 2nd IMO. I guess at the end of the day, the asthetics aren't everything. Very Happy

The animation does shift a bit during the first season as well, but it's not too noticeable until the last few episodes; EQUINOX and STAND ALONE COMPLEX are the only ones where I really went "wow, everyone looks different." They were much more subtle about it.

Of course, the first season also had those episodes (IDOLATOR and ANDROID AND I being notable examples) where the animation all went to hell and everything was off-model, which 2nd GIG completely lacked, so there were tradeoffs Razz
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm about halfway through 2nd gig - does anyone else agree that it's WAYYY more talky/info-dumpy than the first season? I mean, some entire episodes are like 90% talking and 10% action (if even that much). I'm all for exposition and clarification, but I fell like they're overdoing it and, in the process, making things a tad more confusing because of it. The stand-alone episodes (or dividual episodes as their called in this season) aren't as strong as the first season's either.

Don't get me wrong, it's still great and entertaining, but for me, season one is way out in front so far; and will continue to be unless they all shut up and start kicking some serious ass.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
A lot of the relevant or more serious episodes start around 14, I think. Just keep going. But be prepared for all the convoluted politics and conspiracy from the Individual Eleven stuff.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, of course, right after I said that, the best stand-alone episode of the series (IMO) comes along (#18 - Trans Parent).

Ultimately mixed feelings upon finishing it though. Came together much more neatly than I had imagined it would, but I feel there a few missed opportunities; particularly spoiler[fleshing out the Kusanagi/Kuze 'reunion' - I felt they waited too long and had to rush it to get it in before the series ended]. In the end, I enjoyed season one more, but 2nd gig definitely had its moments. On to Solid State Society!
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Well, of course, right after I said that, the best stand-alone episode of the series (IMO) comes along (#18 - Trans Parent).

Ultimately mixed feelings upon finishing it though. Came together much more neatly than I had imagined it would, but I feel there a few missed opportunities; particularly spoiler[fleshing out the Kusanagi/Kuze 'reunion' - I felt they waited too long and had to rush it to get it in before the series ended]. In the end, I enjoyed season one more, but 2nd gig definitely had its moments. On to Solid State Society!

The spoiler[Kusanagi/Kuze connection] was my biggest disappointment with 2nd GIG. It really added to both characters, but it definitely could've been fleshed out. The first time I watched it, I was excited and then: "Wait. That's it? Really? Come on!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10