• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Super Sonico The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

The Kitty Rangers saved the day. Man her small apartment must smell.

I am probably the only one who was reminded of Business Cats by the ED. The ED also made me think that there are probably hentai with the exact same premise and I could not keep a straight face. Cute though.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually forgotten about Kitamura, so he kind of scared the crap out of me.

This was an adorable episode. The part where Rice spoiler[slept on]... that other cat, was heartwarming. I also loved how the spoiler[kitty rangers asked that guard dog and it caught the scent].

The ending was fairly sweet but it did instantly make me think of more than a few H mangas. spoiler[I guess that's the twisted, meel-churned price we pay for loving this crazy and exotic thing called anime. You never know when a fat old dude is going to pork a stray catgirl.]

I hope Sonico doesn't grow up to be a crazy old cat lady. I recently played a game about one of those (horror adventure game called The Cat Lady) and it was really freaky.

I've got a cat. She's ancient and smart enough to open handled doors, turn on my clothes dryer and turn off my surge protector (AARRGH!). Lucky I don't pay for power. But just the one cat smells up my apartment sometimes, which is 2 floors and likely 4x the size of Sonico's if other Japanese apartments I've been in were any indication. So yeah, that place must reek in the summer.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Them feels...
Watching a Christmas Episode in March felt rather strange, maybe this could have aired earlier on in the series but it was a rather enjoyable. I mean, we don't really need to have an excuse to see Sonico and Fuuri in spoiler[skimpy Santa/Reindeer outfits] but now we've got one.

spoiler[The story was simple. Big department store is built next to an older shopping centre and is taking all the customers. So Suzu gets "employed" to turn it around over Christmas. Sonico and Fuuri along with Ouka are forced to help, with the promise of meat buns.]

The highlight of the episode was the story between spoiler[Ayaka and her father] (His HoHoHo's cracked me up). I thought it was really moving even though it was quite obvious about the final outcome.

Kitamura gets a special mention for his brilliant 10 second cameo and the old guys who are just generaly mental.

The ED was nicely animated again and I think I'm going to miss the show when it ends next week.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Yaaaaaaaay! Xmas episode! Just in time! Well, there's a 7' tall snowbank outside my door so it's still in-season to me.

I instantly saw the first scene after the OP as:
"What do you want for christmas?"
"It's a secret."
*screen dims with mother biting her thumbnail, her eyes shadowed in*
"tch"
*black screen*
FISSION MAILED!

Granny spoiler[speaking english was so funny to me because nobody else in the room could tell what she was saying]. It reminded me of a time I had nothing to read to a baby I was looking after except one of the Deathgate Cycle books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, so I just read in a pleasant voice. I don't -think- the kid grew up mentally scarred or anything. So long as you speak in a calm voice people who can't understand you will applaud.

For a short bit there until they showed the father's photo. I actually thought the kid's dad was going to be spoiler[one of those foreign models, which would've set up for a funny combo if he got permission to stay for xmas and they got a male model anyway.]

Also LOL at nobody getting heart-eyed for Ouka. Poor Ouka. The Manager got a really funny scene though. I also got a good laugh out of the absurdly stupid spoiler[idol group name].

http://i.imgur.com/ENom06h.jpg?1 So this one friend of mine has a horribly bumpy, completely unusable driveway and one time while shovelling a path on it he fell and his head landed right between two huge bumps.

Next week, spoiler[Newyears!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Lol, was that a spoiler[One Direction] reference in anime? Actually makes me think of this thing that one of the largest supermarket franchises did in Australia where there were chances to win tickets to see them by shopping. The related products were hilariously things a bunch of guys should not know much about

And who would guess that they would choose to spoiler[get a Santa], which is the totally normal thing for a department store to do. One of their shots for showing spoiler[a Santa] was a reference to Coca Cola, and that English threat was kind of scary, could imagine some old Japanese lady just doing that. And I don't think they really got someone fitting for their marketing campaign that the department store which could hire someone with experience.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

So that's the series wrapped up. It was nice while it lasted but I don't think we will be seeing a second outing for Super Sonico and friends.

The last episode was pretty much a montage to all the different characters we have met during the 12 episodes. Sonico, Suzu and Fuuri want to spoiler[hold a New Years concert, but Suzu spends all their funds on the lighting so the girls have to ask favours to borrow the remaining equipment from the other minor characters.]

It was heartwarming and filled with plenty of background music from First Astronimcal Velocity. The animation was good when they switched between 3D and original without a noticeable difference for some of the scenes, though certain spoiler[body parts got increasing jiggly when this happened. Fuuri on the drums is all I have to say about the matter.] Wink

spoiler[Sonico's Grandmother stealing the show, with a rather epic guitar solo when Sonico's guitar strings snapped was pretty awesome. Is there nothing this woman can't do?]

I really enjoyed the series as a whole. It won't trouble anyone in terms of popularity and greatness, but after a hard days work you can't go wrong to relax with some Sonico antics. For me it's inbetween a Good and Very Good rating, so I'll go with the latter and give it a Very Good as certain episodes did shine out and I don't want to make Kitamura angry. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Not much I can really say that Shikiari hasn't already said. it did look like Sonico's spoiler[Senpai had a kid]. But for some reason it surprisingly enjoyable. This show really is not anything amazing, we know full well that Super Sonico is nothing really that deep, doesn't take much to see that it will get outshone by most other shows with a more serious plot. But for some reason despite that it is still enjoyable. Even before watching this episode I knew I was watching that show with the boobs and perhaps a feeling of superficial, but I end up enjoying the sort of fun atmosphere.

I think it is when the show was being experimental it was good, I would not say that the music was really anything special, but the videos to the song were highlights. There was that one episode where we had a look a reporter which I think was rather good as she had what the audience might from reading the description, and despite everything I think somewhere there was glisten of authenticity. I might say there was a jewel somewhere among the dress-ups, you might say it is a manufactured jewel but there was something likable about it.

Despite all that, I can't honestly rate this series that high when so many other series did things better. I might give it a So-so, it was not really something I was interested in seeing each week, but it is a high So-so as there was something there at times.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I initially thought this was just going to be some mindless fanservice show, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was wrong. even so, it was ok. Had some good episodes, and had boring, meh episodes. I definitely think episode seven was the best one. I'll give it a decent
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit I too was expecting a pile of smut before the show started. But lo and behold it turned out to be a good show, mild in every respect like a smooth mint chocolate.

A nice little wrap-up at the end. I'm actually pretty glad the show didn't end in a battle of the bands like I was initially expecting. Because that wouldn't have been as good IMO.

I'd also just like to note that animating a girl with gozangas as big as Fuuri's play drums is actually pretty difficult. You need a lot of horizontal room to animate playing drums, and those really restrict. So kudos to the staff. I'm glad they did too because that was pretty mesmerizing.

Grandma stole the show for me this ep. The 3 old guys were awesome in that scene too. LOL

So like with Aria, if we get more I'll likely stick around for it, but if we don't then that's good too. The show ran it's course of funny and tense, absurd and grounded, pandering and touching. It pretty much covered what feelings are involved in Sonico's life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5