• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rename: Shinya KAWAMO (#71927) -> Shinya KAWATSURA

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenextday

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
AniFav put up and interview with him yesterday which has the correct reading for his name.

http://anifav.com/special/20131231_2698.html
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
One wouldn't doubt when Hatena Diary, Allcinema, and even DrillSpin all spell his last name as "Kawamo," yet that's still incorrect (ouch + sigh).

Fixing this one would take a little while, as several old articles are affected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
thenextday

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
And actually, it looks like he has had a Facebook account with the Kawatsura reading since 2011. Ouch + sigh indeed.

https://www.facebook.com/dekopongas <-- reading not visible

https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=shinya+kawatsura+dekopongas <-- but if you search...
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
thenextday wrote:
And actually, it looks like he has had a Facebook account with the Kawatsura reading since 2011. Ouch + sigh indeed.

https://www.facebook.com/dekopongas <-- reading not visible

https://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=shinya+kawatsura+dekopongas <-- but if you search...

Are you sure that's not just Facebook assigning one reading to a potentially ambiguous kanji name for searching purposes?

If I try to search "Kawatsura", a few people who clearly romanize their name "Kawazura" or "Kawamo" come up, along with people in kanji with no romanization supplied. On the other hand, when I search "Kawazura", I don't get the same happening (everyone is actually romanized "Kawazura" with no alternate readings or kanji-only results).
thenextday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
Facebook does use multiple readings (for searches) when there isn't one given but this doesn't seem to be one of those cases. I just searched all the alternate readings of 川面 with his username but only Kawatsura returned a result.
thenextday

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Two years later, still not fixed and the wrong one still being used in new articles. RIP
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
His Facebook still provides no official proof. He has only entered kanji for his name there, no romaji.

Official English credits are rather inconsistent too. Simulcast credits for Kokoro Connect and Non Non Biyori Repeat are Kawamo, though Non Non Biyori (both the simulcast and home video credits) is Kawatsura. In Funi's credits of Baka and Test 2, he's Kawamo, though he's Kawatsura in Index II.

On a Google search, though, I do see there's yet another interview (archived) that gives his name reading as Kawatsura. I can't really find anything else that seems that reliable for the "Kawamo" side. So I will go ahead and merge to Kawatsura.

I can't do anything on news articles (not just "Kawamo" instances: there's also "Kawazura" which was once commonly entered before I purged that entry), but with a merge in place, the link will go to Kawatsura anyway. I'd honestly like to have even better proof before asking any old news articles to be changed, though (a merger is at least pretty easy to reverse now if I end up getting strong evidence to the contrary later). Since he's on Twitter is there any polite way to ask him (for those fluent in Japanese) how his name is read?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The linked interview looks to have been done in person so they would have to have been speaking his name correctly.
The only sliver of doubt that remains is if the person who wrote up the profile box for the website got it right, but it seems unlikely when they have gone to the trouble of spelling it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
If interviews are done with Japanese guests in person, there's very often business cards exchanged that include kanji and romaji (or a the very least furigana). I have a bunch saved from my interviews I've done for ANN at Sakura-Con.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1