• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Novels Enter New Arc in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
#854688 wrote:
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
I've never understood the hate for SAO. It just seems like such an average anime. And as far as average anime goes it does have effort put into it.

I just think it's a very enjoyable show. But some people say it's life-changingly awful, and all I can say to this is: ...okaaay Confused

Personally, I'm one of the ones that have more of a beef with people who say it is good or representative of good anime. It doesn't beat Accel World and even that is pretty flawed. It gives a poor image of anime if you treat SAO as better than it is.

On the other hand, i'm one of those that frankly don't see why people dislike SAO so much.. People dislike Kirito because he's a Gary Stu when there are many others out there that are worse and don't get this kind of treatment. Same with other characters. The kind of problems people have with them are the same problems they have with similar others, yet, they don't make this kind of fuss.

Frankly, i think people are just but hurt that SAO is this famous while some others like.Hack (which is another another kind of anime altogether, despite what people seem to think).

[Edit] Just thought about it, but it seems like SAO is one of those franchises that everyone bitching about it, only ever mentions the anime... Another series i think this happens is Fate...
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Guess Kirito haters won't be happy until Kirito's human body is killed off, and he becomes a Deified intelligence online.

afraid that is the case more or less,and after mother's rosario ,it a given now. personally i wouldnt have minded if it had ended in fairy dance and even more so if he ended up in a romantic relationship with suguha instead of asuna, but the author definitely made fans happy by not going down the oreimo route. unfortunately after phantom bullet, it seems the series is going down the toaru no majustu index route where every new girl of the series have a romantic interest in him. though the real reason why there is much hate for kirito is he's more or less a gary stu character which some people dont like. the only good thing is that he's not oblivious like some male gary stu characters.the other closest male gary stu character that's not oblivious as well is shiro of log horizon.(except when it comes to girls in his life)

hopefully this new arc will make some people not dislike him more,especially if this arc is similar to mother's rosario , but if the author does do the same formula and make him into a male character in a psuedo harem,the hate is gonna increase tenfold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Guess Kirito haters won't be happy until Kirito's human body is killed off, and he becomes a Deified intelligence online.

afraid that is the case more or less,and after mother's rosario ,it a given now. personally i wouldnt have minded if it had ended in fairy dance and even more so if he ended up in a romantic relationship with suguha instead of asuna, but the author definitely made fans happy by not going down the oreimo route. unfortunately after phantom bullet, it seems the series is going down the toaru no majustu index route where every new girl of the series have a romantic interest in him. though the real reason why there is much hate for kirito is he's more or less a gary stu character which some people dont like. the only good thing is that he's not oblivious like some male gary stu characters.the other closest male gary stu character that's not oblivious as well is shiro of log horizon.(except when it comes to girls in his life)

hopefully this new arc will make some people not dislike him more,especially if this arc is similar to mother's rosario , but if the author does do the same formula and make him into a male character in a psuedo harem,the hate is gonna increase tenfold.

Quick question: By "new arc" do you mean Alicization or the one after that?
JDude042

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna be honest and say that I've only seen bits and pieces of the first anime series and I'm saying this in complete ignorance, but you'd think after their first trip into a virtual video game world where things turned out to be quite life threatening (and you would die in real life if you died in the game), that they'd put the goddamn video games down and stay the hell away and live a peaceful life away from the dangers and consequences of said video game world. However, I guess for them to do that then we wouldn't have a series and an excuse for the creator to keep milking it if it's making him or her money. I'm just being honest guys. Laughing
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
I'm gonna be honest and say that I've only seen bits and pieces of the first anime series and I'm saying this in complete ignorance, but you'd think after their first trip into a virtual video game world where things turned out to be quite life threatening (and you would die in real life if you died in the game), that they'd put the goddamn video games down and stay the hell away and live a peaceful life away from the dangers and consequences of said video game world. However, I guess for them to do that then we wouldn't have a series and an excuse for the creator to keep milking it if it's making him or her money. I'm just being honest guys. Laughing

Is more or less to say that in beginning of airplane history after the first deadly accidents humans should stay way from the sky and keep their feet on the ground because is safer.

Just because one game turned deadly that don't mean all the next games will turn deadly. That's why they develop a new model of NerveGear with safety features so no dead happen again.

About the part of milking for money, this new Arc is the first write as a LN first. All the arcs until now were wrote as a free WebNovel before the publisher decided to make a Light Novel out of them because of the success of the other work of this author, Accel World.
TUSF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
SAO is the Ghostbusters 2016 of anime.
Over-hated but turns out it wasn't as bad as people said it was going to be, and just turned out average?

Anyways, what are people even discussing in this thread?
The largest arc in the series is over, having ended with a big thank you listing everyone he met, and a page of "And You", like some old-school video game credits.
Of course, there will also be a new arc next year, but it's not like no one saw that coming with how Dengeki has milked this cow, and practically out-sourced the story to other authors. Letting the series end now would mean an end to the money.
JDude042

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Is more or less to say that in beginning of airplane history after the first deadly accidents humans should stay way from the sky and keep their feet on the ground because is safer.

Just because one game turned deadly that don't mean all the next games will turn deadly. That's why they develop a new model of NerveGear with safety features so no dead happen again.

Yea I know, like I said I was just giving an obvious analysis of the situation, but I guess the characters just have to be put into a virtual world, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason for the series to exist if the characters decided to just live the rest of their lives normally without going to a virtual RPG-like gaming world.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Whaa? That's not the same thing at all Anime hyper
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Whaa? That's not the same thing at all Anime hyper

It is tho. People kept using planes because they saw that with proper development they could be extremely useful and people from sao the used VR tech might have (as seen in mother's rosario and alicization aka the good and the bad side VR) so they kept using it.

PS:In the 7th volume (Mother's Rosario) i believe, Kirito states that he want's to see VR tec's endgame. Quitting VR related stuff altogether goes against that, doesn't it?
natchu96

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
The only real issue that allowed the incident to occur was mostly because the perpetrator was the same man who designed and coded the hardware and knows how to bypass the safeties.

Subsequently made hardware had basically massively worse specs in terms of realism so as to avoid having lethal capabilities at all. It shouldn't be possible to die from those, so they're generally fine with it.

Alicization notwithstanding but that's really its own thing.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
natchu96 wrote:
The only real issue that allowed the incident to occur was mostly because the perpetrator was the same man who designed and coded the hardware and knows how to bypass the safeties.

*movie trailer voice* "IN A WORLD where government approval and reverse-engineering and large-scale industrial design by large teams of people apparently don't exist for some reason..."
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Quick question: By "new arc" do you mean Alicization or the one after that?

I'm talking about the new one coming up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3