• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Wake Up, Girls!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Wake Up, Girls! is probably my favorite idol show because of its honesty. I could never really take Idolm@ster or Love Live seriously, or get fully immersed in anything they were selling, because I was just left with this nagging annoyance at how sugarcoated and fake everything was. I didn't really have any problems connecting with WUG's characters, or its story, as it was a pretty straightforward under dog plot featuring cute girls who were putting up with and trying to overcome an industry that is downright terrible to everyone within it. I Thought it nicely balanced itself between scorning the industry, and being optimistic and "gambatte" about it's girls and their future. I would have liked it more if it had production values and character that could really compete with Idolm@ster and Love Live, but it felt like it was full of passion and heart, and there isn't really anything else out there like it.

Love Live aside, Idolm@ster does not wholly sugarcoat the industry, though that isn't something apparent from the beginning, though not to the degree that WUG does. I do agree the industry is in many ways terrible to many in it, but everyone is a bit of a hyperbole. Even restricting it to every performer (cause the idea that the industry is terrible for the music companies and agencies is absurd on its face) is too much, as the very best obviously do well. If the industry was terrible for everyone in it (every performer in it), no one would stay an idol or want to be one. Ultimately I believe at least some reasonable see the benefits outweigh the costs for themselves at least.

And Love Live not having passion and heart? You do not build the long lasting passionate fanbase Love Live has without those (For what it's worth IM@S has been even longer lasting though I believe that is due to other factors such as the sheer number of girls to pick from). Even Sunshine has those after it got over its "Just like μ's" phase. I think the idol industry is abhorrent and needs to move away from actual people as idols, and not too long ago that deterred me from watching idol anime. However Love Live's passion and heart changed my mind on idol anime at least. It certainly doesn't hurt that they are doing it for themselves, free from the companies that impose most (though not all) of the negative aspects of the industry upon them.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Wake Up, Girls! is probably my favorite idol show because of its honesty. I could never really take Idolm@ster or Love Live seriously, or get fully immersed in anything they were selling, because I was just left with this nagging annoyance at how sugarcoated and fake everything was. I didn't really have any problems connecting with WUG's characters, or its story, as it was a pretty straightforward under dog plot featuring cute girls who were putting up with and trying to overcome an industry that is downright terrible to everyone within it. I Thought it nicely balanced itself between scorning the industry, and being optimistic and "gambatte" about it's girls and their future. I would have liked it more if it had production values and character designs that could really compete with Idolm@ster and Love Live, but it felt like it was full of passion and heart, and there isn't really anything else out there like it.

Love Live aside, Idolm@ster does not wholly sugarcoat the industry, though that isn't something apparent from the beginning, though not to the degree that WUG does. I do agree the industry is in many ways terrible to many in it, but everyone is a bit of a hyperbole. Even restricting it to every performer (cause the idea that the industry is terrible for the music companies and agencies is absurd on its face) is too much, as the very best obviously do well. If the industry was terrible for everyone in it (every performer in it), no one would stay an idol or want to be one. Ultimately I believe at least some reasonable see the benefits outweigh the costs for themselves at least.

Yeah, that was a bit of a hyperbole, I actually was going to rewrite that bit, but forgot and posted as is... Embarassed
It is pretty horrible to a lot of its performers though. And knowing the way that Japanese businesses often run, people sticking with a company, or a career, even though it's terrible to them is not much of a stretch. In fact, I'd consider it more of a stretch to think that a substantial number would quit due to poor treatment. That would pretty much make them unemployable for the next couple of decades in any Japanese company.
As far as Im@s not sugarcoating the industry.. I mean, I guess there are a couple of moments here and there, but it's pretty light. And for whatever reason the drama in each of those series's(LL and Im@s) just felt contrived and cheesy as hell. It was hard to take it seriously at all. Which in turn made it hard to connect with the characters in either show beyond which ones had quirks I liked.

Quote:
And Love Live not having passion and heart? You do not build the long lasting passionate fanbase Love Live has without those (For what it's worth IM@S has been even longer lasting though I believe that is due to other factors such as the sheer number of girls to pick from). Even Sunshine has those after it got over its "Just like μ's" phase. I think the idol industry is abhorrent and needs to move away from actual people as idols, and not too long ago that deterred me from watching idol anime. However Love Live's passion and heart changed my mind on idol anime at least. It certainly doesn't hurt that they are doing it for themselves, free from the companies that impose most (though not all) of the negative aspects of the industry upon them.

I didn't say, or mean, that Love Live and Idolm@ster don't have passion and heart, just that the passion and heart in WUG made it easy for me to look passed what it lacked on the production side. I agree that I'd like to see idols move away from using real people in most capacities. But in the mean time I'm getting better at isolating idol anime from real-life idols. I've watched both Im@s and LL and like them both well enough. As a sakuga fan, Idolm@ster has a lot to offer me, and I enjoyed it most when it stuck to it's sillier antics. Love Live was also reasonably fun, but didn't connect with me in the same way that it did many people for whatever reason. I do absolutely appreciate that the girls are doing it for themselves and how that contributed to its success is pretty obvious.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
Can the person here make a review on TLR Darkness 2 Please?
Loveless100

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Loveless100 wrote:
I'm a big fan of WUG as an idol group so I've been following their activities and news since the show, but looking back the show wasn't something that could stand by itself. It was a good supplement to the group, but the ending of the tv series was flat. From what I heard about the movies you probably need to finish with the two movies to really come to a conclusion with this title.

Frankly speaking, WUG Zoo was more fun. I've been meaning to watch the movies because I like the theme songs but yeah, western release is slim. I'll just buy the JP Bluray at this point.

Same here, Agree with all you said here. I'm actually going to AFA singapore at the end of November to see WuG live.

Oh nice! I was considering going to AFA too since I haven't seen them since the Nendoroid Live in February....I miss their performances. Hope you have fun! Send an extra cheer for me (haha)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Every time I see that Excel Saga thinpack with Pedro crying on the spine, I start grinning like an idiot. Nice shelves. Next time I submit my collection, I'll send in some pictures of the book cases my husband has put together. Gravity is still just a theory, right? Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2