• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Help for Burakumin Anime/Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murilene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
i am new to this sort of thing, also i am not a native english speaker so my apologies in advance.

I am writing a article about the visibility of Burakumins in anime/manga, but i've no knowledge of such subject matter in both cases, so if anyone knows a show or manga that have burakumin's characters( not needed to be part of the main cast) please help.

For those who don't know who the Burakumin's are, they're japanese that worked as leather makers, butchers, executioners and other activities considered "impure" and because of that they become marginalized.

According with the research i've been doing, historical shows/manga(Tokugawa's Era) are likely to have, furthermore a percentage of descendants of Burakumin's are part of Yakuza, so maybe a anime/manga about Yakuza have what i hope, however the only historical show i watched was "Hyouge Mono" and "Saraiya no Goyou" and Yakuza shows/manga i never watched/read.

Sorry for the trouble, thank you in advance for your knowledge and suggestions.
Mits

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
Discrimination of Burakumin won’t appear in modern Anime/Manga, because it is taboo in Japan. If very old examples are allowable, check Shirato Sanpei’s work. In his work, ninja is described somewhat realistically. And they often born as discriminated peoples because being a spy or an assassin is considered to be ‘impure’.
Murilene

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
Fantastic. Thats is something i can work with...Is the first time that i hear about this author, and his works looks very suitable for my article.

Thank you very much for your precious knowledge and your attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1