• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Violet Evergarden (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:38 am Reply with quote
It was easy to see who the letters were to from the beginning, but it still hit hard.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It was easy to see who the letters were to from the beginning, but it still hit hard.

The real pay of came with the reading of each letter. Like you i knew what was coming, but even that wasn't enough. Took a direct hit right in the feels.

Also, i may have lost it at the mother saying it's okay to cry. As a viewer i just was like, I didn't need your permission but now that i have it....Im gonna cry.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

That was an emotional ending, and a good bookmark of Violet's development. The major's brother seemed the most critical, and saw that Violet really did grow, and not just some tool. Actually kind of made me feel a little emotionally drained. But it did manage to pull of this level of emotion without, I guess cheap tricks, as we had some good build up to this.

Although, I don't think it reached a level of heights that I felt promised by hype. I think that I have said before, but it felt like it took too long for things to land, because Violet had no idea what the impact was until pretty late in the season. Mixed with the fact that it felt like we had some pretty wide time jumps, that we just had it informed that Violet went from too direct that her letters were bad, to her being considered a skilled writer after doing one frank letter that happened to work.

I give a rating of Good (7/10), worth seeing, with the proviso that I think it is probably helped by the generally good production of Kyoto Animation. I don't think it would be fair to compare it to Kobayashi-san.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2