• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Cartoons or Japanese Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
I want to ask you the question, if you where to sit down on saturday morning and watch cartoons, what would you pic... would you want to watch American cartoons or Japanese anime? Here is the difference, American cartoons, lets use Road Runner for example, it is totaly repetative, tried and tested funny gags. You can easily sit down and get right into road runner, and for that matter most other Amarican cartoons.

Now for Japanese anime, you have to realy get into the story for it to be funny, sad, dramatic, action pacted, ect... but if you are into the perticular series it can be far more rewarding to watch an eppisode of... oh... FMA, then it can be to watch Road Runner. But like I said you have to be into it, just sitting down and watching the end of FMA means nothing if you don't know the story behind it.

I go back to the American cartoons. The show Justice League (cant spell Razz ) is a show that you can get into and follow even if its the first time you have watched the show, but its also a show that you can follow the series and become enthraled in. But this is how most American cartoons are designed whilst anime is a thing that you have to see from the start to get anything out of, usully it doesnt have any messages or deep seated meaning in one eppisode but a few eppisodes or an entire series might teach you something, American cartoons have the meaning in each eppisode because Americans loose focas fast and they want to get to the point quickly, also another resion why anime will never become as popular as surviovor or fear factor.

Tell me what you think...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
I'd never be able to choose just American or Japanese cartoons since both have equally sucky shows. Just because I like or maybe even prefer anime, doesn't mean I'd ever stand to be limited to just anime because anime isn't always worth my attention. I'd choose Road Runner over Yugioh, but I wouldn't chose Fullmetal Alchemist over Road Runner, but would choose Transformers over FMA.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
Hm.. let's see... Either watch classic cartoons from Warner Brothers at the height of their animation genius during the Golden Age of animation (and featuring some of the best fully animated character animation in the history of the medium), or watch FMA... I'll take Road Runner, please. I'm biased. I love full animation.

trackstar1013 wrote:
But this is how most American cartoons are designed whilst anime is a thing that you have to see from the start to get anything out of, usully it doesnt have any messages or deep seated meaning in one eppisode but a few eppisodes or an entire series might teach you something, American cartoons have the meaning in each eppisode because Americans loose focas fast and they want to get to the point quickly, also another resion why anime will never become as popular as surviovor or fear factor.

And the message I learned, just now, was that as an American, I will always be assumed to have a lower attention span than someone from Japan because of the shows I like to watch. Good to know...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
I guess it would depend on what kind of mood I am in at the time. If I wake up in the morning on Saturday and I want to watch a cartoon that will make me laugh and wouldn't cause much thinking I would probably go with a good old American cartoon like roadrunner that I can just sit there, watch and laugh at without thinking much about it. But if I am in the mood for a more in depth comedy I might go with something like Excel Saga, where you might have to think a little to understand the comedic value. Sometimes at night I wish that there were old Popeye episodes on rather than anime. I guess it just depends on what you feel like at the time.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:35 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
And the message I learned, just now, was that as an American, I will always be assumed to have a lower attention span than someone from Japan because of the shows I like to watch. Good to know...

Of course! Everybody knows that it's true, Americans have incredibly short attention spa- ooh, shiny!

- abunai

Believe it or not, this little banality is my 1000th post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kainzero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
American cartoons have the meaning in each eppisode because Americans loose focas fast and they want to get to the point quickly, also another resion why anime will never become as popular as surviovor or fear factor.

It's naive to assume that Americans aren't capable of handling long series.
There are plenty of live-action series that have linear storylines... like 24, for example. And you can't just pick up survivor in the middle of it. You'd get lost with all the drama.
Also, plenty of Japanese series have stories that take place within the episode only. One of my favorite series as of now, Yakitate Japan, is pretty much limited to its own episode... maayyyyybe carrying over to the next, but it's scope is limited enough so that you can pick it up from any episode. And of course, there's also the common Rumiko Takahashi series(Inuyasha, Ranma), DBZ, Naruto, Doraemon, Pokemon, Digimon...
And come to think of it, if someone can jump into Digimon in the middle of the series, then certainly someone can jump into Gundam SEED in the middle of the series too....
philg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I do agree with you on the description of both... but it's hard to generalise anime as something you neeed to focus on. Take AzuDaioh for example, not only is their no plot, there is no meaning and no action. So to be honest on a Saturday morning I'd rather watch something like AzuDaioh than something like King of the Hill where there is a plot and meaning etc..
But on the other hand you could look at this differently like you and say I'd rather watch meaningless crappy-UTMOST FUN!! like Spongebob Squarepants than Cowboy Bebop (as much as I love it)...
BUT!! your example for FMA I would watch that any day because it is my favourite anime and I am obsessed with it and i finished the last episode today so I am really sad and craving more.....

Well anyways...
Contradicting to most of what I just said I'd watch anime rather than A.Cs on a Saturday morning......but probably dubbed because my eyes would be too sleepy to read the subtitles hehe Wink
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
If I were to choose between today's american cartoons and japanese anime, I'd choose anime. However, if I were to have to choose between classic WB cartoons and the cartoons of my childhood (the real ghostbusters, teenage mutant ninja turtles, inspector gadget) or japanese anime, I'd have a hard time choosing, and I'd have to say that I would be unable to choose because the comparison is apples to oranges.

Anime in general has a different focus than classic wb cartoons (classic bugs and daffy, porky, elmer fudd, wile E. Cyote . . "Genius" Laughing, etc.) in that the classic wb cartoons are mostly episodic slapstick comedy with tried and true gags and laughs that even when referencing dated material (you can easilly tell the old WB cartoons taht were made during or after WWII just by some of the cultural references or of the technology seen in the cartoon), are still straight-on hilarious today. Anime usually has a more serious plot-driven side, even when it's intent is comedy.

Now, comparing something like Supermilkchan to classic wb, I'd take the classic looneytoons ANYDAY. I'm still, to this day, a die-hard Roadrunner & Cyote fan, even when I've seen the gags many many times over and can tell you which iteration and outcome of Wiley's gags are occuring before they even fully are revealed (seen them so many times that I can pick out the gag just by the introduction of the materials he's using). However, my tastes in anime are high and I expect different things from the anime I watch compared to whenever I watch classic WB cartoons.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
My King of the Hill and my Super Gals! DVDs get spun about equally as much lately, so it just depends if I want to watch the American cartoon style or the Japanese cartoon style. Most of the Japanese stuff I watch is really as episodic as most American cartoons, so there really isn't as much of a difference for me in terms of storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
red stranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I have and watch both. I got into Sealab because I found out about it while googling for Cowboy Bebop (Bebop Cola anyone?) and I wouldn't have very many Ghibli DVDs if it wasn't for Disney. Heck, anime itself might not exist if it weren't for people like Osamu Tekuza being inpired by American cartoons.

The same thing goes for manga and comics as well. My two favorite american comics both have Japanese connections - the manga inspired Elf Quest, and Neil Gaiman's Sandman (Endless Nights, Jill Tompson's manga style Little Endless & Death), but at the same time I would chose the US Concrete over the original Lupin manga...
sariyana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I can't choose betweent the two. Although I pretty much only watch anime now (nothing against American cartoons), I was bred on American cartoons (meaning that I watched them before I got into anime). So, although I'm really into anime now, I can't forget about the American cartoons (the Looney Toons, Tiny Toon Adventures, etc.) that I used to watch when I was little. And even though I don't watch Looney Toons anymore, I watch newer American cartoons, like Courage, the Cowardly Dog. What I watch depends on how I'm feeling at the time. Sometimes I want slapstick humor, sometimes, I want a show with an actual plot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I would choose neither because I have better things to do with my saturday mourning than to sit and watch kiddy anime/cartoon on tv. Talk about short attention span, why watch tv when you can read manga that will need your full attention.

Seriously though, it's kind of ironic asking people to choose anime or cartoon in an anime forum when you know people here are in love with anime, so the opinion are usually bias.

I like cartoon when I was growning up, but I probably would not like slap stick kiddy cartoon at this point in my life. Crude humor like Family guy is a different story.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
HERE WE GO PEOPLE!!!

I was waiting for this post. I already recorded the date for the first subbed/dubbed Topic argument for 2005, now we have the FIRST American vs. Japanese cartoons argument. And there will be an argument because someone will offend someone, it always happens when someone brings up the topic.

But to simply answer the question, I will watch anything that may appeal to me. If you trap me in front of a TV with nothing to do on a Saturday morning, this is what I'll probably watch.

EDITED: (need to re-check Guide for Saturday 8-12)

That's it. However, I don't watch someone because the animation comes form somewhere, I watch it because I LIKE IT. I'm a "Buy your sneakers not because LeBron wears 'em, but because they fit ya" kind of guy. Viva all animation.

- Advocate for the Devil
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
There's crappy anime and there's crappy American cartoons. Then there's great anime and great American cartoons. You just need to throw them all in one big pile and look throught the hay to find the needles. Most of the time, I prefer to watch US cartoons on tv though, just so I can actually turn them off after a half an hour or so. Anime is more indepth, like a movie or a videogame. American cartoons like Futurama or Family Guy are well-made, hilarious comedy shows that don't require as much viewer effort, which is a good thing if you don't have time to watch it religiously.

Let's take Family guy - the story and characters are regular and average, so someone who's never seen the show before could watch down, watch a randomly selected episde, and enjoy. Then they would feel fullfilled at the end, get up and leave.

Now let's take Trigun. The story is complex and you have to learn about the plot and the characters. You'll need to watch the episodes in order, and you won't be completly fullfilled until you've seen all of them. Simply put, anime is for people who are ready and willing to be a 'fan' of something, while US cartoons are made for ordinary people with busy lives. Is not that one or the other is better, they're just made for different audiences and different lifestyles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
That is true..there are bad animes and bad american cartoons.
On a saturday morning I would most likely choose animes over american cartoons. On a saturday night I would choose a bit of american cartoons(family guy,etc.) and balance it out with anime such as ghost in the shell
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6