• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
im not a mod but...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papa john

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
ok i dont want to start any arguments or offend anyone, but shouldnt a argument that took place in a thread have been in a pm between the mod and the the person who was angry? or just delete the posts in the thread that were off topic and pm the people and tell them not to post in their or they get banned? i mean it wasnt the thread creators fault...

also im new here so if i missed something and this is in the rules somewhere sorry.. again i understand both sides, not look for an argument.. or continuation of the other thread, im just a little curious.

Last edited by papa john on Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
papa john wrote:
ok i don't want to start any arguments or offend anyone, but shouldnt the argument that took place in the thread "ARISA HENTAI" been in a pm between the mod and the the person who was angry?

Probably, but it would most likely have needed the angry user to take the first step towards that process since the mod did tell everyone to get back on topic.

papa john wrote:
or just delete the posts in the thread that were off topic and pm the people and tell them not to post in their or they get banned? i mean it wasnt the thread creators fault...

Deletion + private reprimandation usually doesn't go over well if the person is genuinely pissed. They'll likely publicly call out the staff member in question, creating further problems. As for ban threats, they can't be thrown around so casually and for so little if you want to collect and maintain a large userbase - you'll start scaring people off.

Of course, daxomni could be different from that norm, but that's not a chance a staff member is usually willing to take unless they have good reason.

Incidentally, this topic would've been better suited for a PM to a staff member.

On a side note, I can't say I'm disappointed to see a topic called "ARISA HENTAI" getting locked. >_>
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
papa john wrote:
but shouldnt the argument that took place in the thread "ARISA HENTAI" been in a pm between the mod and the the person who was angry?

That's exactly how it's supposed to work. My telling the other users to get back on-topic in the thread is an indication to them to private message me with any further grievances. It's happened in the past that my directly PMing them and deleting their spam posts has resulted in the person only getting more agitated and making new threads dedicated solely to the argument.

Basically, it typically helps keep things under control if I post in the thread and tell them to speak to me in private rather than me just shutting up their public post and being the first to PM them.

Unfortunately, they opted not to take the issue private, and kept ranting on in the open in the thread.

EDIT: Kilgamayan explained it all quite nicely. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:28 am Reply with quote
I just read the posts and I have to say that it was really...well heated, I saw his post that had nothing on it before anyone else posted after it and I new that one of the mods was going to say something (which they should), but then a fight broke out and all I have to say about the fight is when someone curses at you, it dosent mean you should take it so hard, its the internet after all, besides theres really no point in posting nothing (at least put a emoticon but if you continue to carry on the argument too much longer after the mod has spoken; then your just asking to get even deeper into the shit pile. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
I've only been on here a few months but I have to say that I think that Nagi and Tony K. work very hard to keep things nice and safe and polite and pervert & spam free for the rest of us.

And are treated rudely by those who don't want to be that nice and safe and polite and pervert & spam free.

THANK YOU NAGI AND TONY K.!
papa john

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
lol people are posting too fast, i was just going to delete it after i made it...(thought it would be better in a pm..) but couldnt find the delete thread thingey if their is one.. so i edited it... TOO LATE lol I've already been quoted Confused
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
I personally don't feel the mods have done anything extreme when it wasn't warranted. I don't like to see people retaliating when they are the ones who have broken forum rules, and generaly it is the ones who have mulitple offences that do the most talking back. I feel they deserve whatever treatment they brought upon themselves, especially as the rules at this forum are worded so simply and easy to follow that a child can understand them.

If anything I am glad the mods are strict here, it means that 9 out of 10 times if I click on a thread that looks interesting, and has not already been locked, it won't be some idiotic one liner proclaiming some nonsense or other, or something so illegible due to hideous grammar, bad spelling, and netspeak, that I can't make it out.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents, when it comes to arguments over the rules, I personally think it is better to have the arguments in the public forum rather than through PMs. That way, like it or not, everyone can read and be reminded of the policies of the website; if a large number of participants think a rule, or some situation is bogus, they may say so and an exception might be allowed.

For petty things like spam though? I wouldn't waste your time Nagisa, just delete the post like it never existed, and maybe send him a PM reminding him to post more insightful things next time if he's a 'repeat offender' like you claim. It's really not worth starting an argument in public over it I don't think, even if you are right. What's he gonna say? Rolling Eyes

"BOOHOO, Nagisa is Nazi! He deleted my post!"
"Oh? That's odd, what was it about"
"Posting third really makes my argument more convincing! Oh... what did I type? Well... I just had typed '...', but I was thinking about maybe changing it later! "
"..."

Last edited by selenta on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animedude35

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents, when it comes to arguments over the rules, I personally think it is better to have the arguments in the public forum rather than through PMs. That way, like it or not, everyone can read and be reminded of the policies of the website; if a large number of participants think a rule, or some situation is bogus, they may say so and an exception might be allowed.

I definitely agree with that, but the thing is, the rules are there, and if anyone has a problem with it, then they can post in the thread with the rules, instead of just randomly breaking it, because they didn't read it in the first place.

Having been a mod for a defunked anime review site forum (not of ANN scale, but pretty decently sized) I can feel for both Tony K. and Nagisa having to deal with all the crap they see, because overseaing many threads and post tends to get to you, especially when you know that those offenders are not newbies to the board. I think they do an great job in controlling these forums and they have to show some of their powers to those that break rules, or this place would be in chaos.

Other than that, most of the rules or questions can seriously be answered in a peaceful PM, but most posters, if not all, rarely use that system, even though it's provided for them. All I can say it just shows how many people truly feel that either they believe that they belong to a place, or just a troll out to mess things up for everyone else.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
Well, since Pizza Boy's question has been answered, how about locking this thread?

BTW, the garlic sauce from Papa John's is awesome. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:28 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Well, since Pizza Boy's question has been answered, how about locking this thread?

BTW, the garlic sauce from Papa John's is awesome. Razz
I suppose it's not exactly anime-forum material, but I believe leaving it open is a good chance for members to express their opinions on the rules in general.

Once in a while. Wink

As of the issue at hand, this forum is more strict than some others I've known, but it is only natural: ANN is a very heavy-usage site with a large amount of traffic that requires either a large moderating personnel or a strict play-by-the-book moderating philosophy to prevent being swamped by spams. Just look around and we'll see one-liner thread starters everyday with messages like "omgnarutoroxor5!!!11" which only weights down the database. For the forum to function certain things have to be sacrificed.

Thus I've adjusted my posting behavior in accordance with the place I'm in; when in Rome, be a Roman and all that. I would post one-liners in smaller, more family-minded (read that expression...figuratively) forums with sarcastic, humored, emotionwhatever-remarks or even just a convenient emoticon here and there, but not here.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:34 am Reply with quote
I love that we have good, fairly strict rules here because it helps the forum have more intelligent conversation than I've seen on other forums. And to have someone making sure these rules are enforced is great.

Both mods are awesome at what they do and I've never seen either of them do anything that I thought was unfair.

Yay mods!
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
If I were a mod, I would lock this. It's got nothing to do with the anime. Or, I'd at least move it.

Talking about rules in public is good, although it's important to remember that forums like this are essentially private property and what the owner of the site says goes. Period. You have no constitutional recourse.

But it wasn't a debate over rules that got that thread locked. Debating a particular moderator's actions in public is always, always counterproductive. I've never seen that work out well for anybody. I would suggest taking a few minutes and politely PMing the mod your complaint. If that doesn't work, take it to admin. If a mod's doing things in public that are over the line, everybody knows anyway. If they're not, everybody knows you've got a persecution complex. If it's being done through PMs, only the admin can tell anyway.

Board staff set the tone. People get the idea for what's ok by looking at the people with bazillions of posts, and by those who've got the fancy little tags under their names. You're never going to make everybody happy: some people will want it handled privately, some people will want to see why a thread was closed. Pick whatever works and go with it, expect some people to be mad. Being a mod sucks. I like that mods here link to the rules or whatever, to give posters a better idea of why a thread was closed: people who read them will know in the future.

Sorry, it's probably also counterproductive to post in a thread like this that's going to get closed, and me just barely here as a member anyway. But it's something I've thought about. Would I get in big trouble if I said "in before lock?" Razz
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
If I were a mod, I would lock this. It's got nothing to do with the anime. Or, I'd at least move it.

Good point. Moving to the Bugs & Technical Questions forum, seeing as in some odd play of semantics, this is something of a "technical question." Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
My 2c

I have PMed both mods, with problems questions and greivences. And in cases they agreed, disagreed, agreed but would not change, and even changed my opinion. The thing I want to say is when you talk to these people remember they are people, and when you treat them with respect you will get the same in return. This is a forum of ideas, and not everyone is going to agree, but the people regulating it are reasonable. Do I agree with everything they do, no. But do I think they do a good job, yes. And who really agrees with everything someone does anyway? There are rules, follow them. People say this forum is too snobby, but I like it, and the forum rules are a big part in what shapes this place. Don't hate the people whos job it is to enforce it.
I have been wanting to pm one one of them for quite some time regarding a question I had regarding the rules, but I have yet to think of a way to properly phrase it, it has nothing to do with the mods more the rules, however the mods whould be the best to answer it. But it is sensitive so it needs to be worded just right or else they would take me wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2