• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
^I personally would already be liking her character if she was voiced by somebody else, but I have to say, Yoko Hikasa’s voice acting as Pito makes her an absolute delight in my eyes and makes the show many times more fun. I’m already a fan of her past work, but it’s like she was born for this role based on her nuances in quiet scenes which are then contrasted well when she has to be bombastic for killing sprees. She sounds like she genuinely enjoys doing the role too, so that’s always a good thing.
Absolutely, her voice/VA work in this make the character and is a highlight of the show. She is nuanced when needed and goes free when Pito does but never overdone. Her voice always seems to fit the character and mood perfectly and what a range she has! I hope the fandom in general has gotten past the dub/sub debate because I would find it hard to think of an English VA who could do her as well. I know I'll be listening to the Japanese of this unless the eventual dub cast does a spectacular job. I can't say I've been thrilled by the dubs of SAO or Re:Zero.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I complained a lot about how the show was using mechanics and portraying other players in the last episode, so I have to be fair and say that I thought those same things were a lot better in this episode!

Using bullet lines to maintain a vector while crawling through tall grass without having to pop your head up is actually really clever and non-obvious. Pink smoke is cute and obviously serves Llen particularly well, but her using her move speed to basically manually scan for enemies by watching out for bullet lines that randomly appear as she zips around is genius.

As for Llen wanting to keep using her P90 instead of looting a fallen opponent's weapon, she just is most comfortable with her P90, and that particular weapon suits her small size and preferred playstyle extremely well. I have no idea how recoil is affected by bodymass in GGO, but even if that's a nonissue it's possible her build is poorly suited to larger weapons in general for some reason (she does seem to have minmaxed her agility pretty hard). And all that aside, her faceoff with Pito is going to be the most challenging thing she's ever done in GGO; it makes sense that she'd want to do it with the weapons and tactics that she is best at.

Saw a lot of grenades this ep, which reinforces that players really should know not to clump up so blatantly, but overall my favorite episode this far! And a great ending too, I'm looking forward to next week's episode.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Pito cares about her K/D ratio, she literally just cares about the struggle to kill or be killed. So she was more pissed that the guy denied her the thrill of the kill rather than the score.

But yea, players who disconnect to avoid getting a loss in a match are generally frowned upon, especially when it involves ranked play. One of the reasons I tend to stay away from competitive play in most games, people are too fixated on their ranking rather than actually having fun playing the game. Leads to too many toxic interactions for me, so I stick with casual play.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Reading the review sort of reminded me of the old argument that violence is ok, but sexual stuff is not. In GGO these players are running around gunning each other down and even executing wounded/disarmed enemy players. Hell, in this ep alone Pito straight up shot up a guy who was trying to stop his friend from falling to his death while laughing and then blows them up with a grenade. And the reviewer described the ep as lighthearted until the threat of groping appeared. I'm not arguing the matter one way or another, but I do think it's interesting how violence, no matter how brutal, is considered normal in video games but the moment something sexual pops up it suddenly becomes serious.

If full immersion VR happened I could see people abusing the bodies of people they killed but I feel like it would basically be the equivalent of teabagging today. Granted, I remember seeing an article saying that teabagging was the equivalent of sexual assault so it still comes down to perspective I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

If full immersion VR happened I could see people abusing the bodies of people they killed but I feel like it would basically be the equivalent of teabagging today. Granted, I remember seeing an article saying that teabagging was the equivalent of sexual assault so it still comes down to perspective I suppose.

Well, yeah, there's already been some pretty famous examples of this happening in VR. Go log into VRChat (you don't need a VR system) to see it first hand. As long as you're not "feeling" what a person is doing, there's always going to be some serious moral ambiguity with VR. To look at the violence side of the issue, I think the American TV show Caprica handled that very well. You're right, there's no reason to put molestation on a pedestal over violence and in Caprica's VR world, everything is for shock value since no one actually feels anything. VR is known for sex and bloodbaths and not always separate.

You could argue that you signed up for one and not the other, but technically they're not molesting you, it's your dead avatar as an immortal object.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it looks like they may have found at least a temporary ally in the androgynous player

Who is dead now, so...Question I mean, yeah, five seconds was pretty temporary, but I guess I'm missing your point.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 Review wrote:
This rather mercurial player soon agrees to provide ammo clips for LLENN's P90

They were magazines, not clips. Somehow this clip/magazine confusion just continues to exist. Even shooter games often get it wrong. Razz
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the 2-fer but Ep10 I think is the best yet and the writing feels like these things could happen in the scenario. While the obligatory SAO references continue (thanks Sinon) at least LLENN isn't Kirito and other players get good shots in like Shirley. I was hoping for more from her but...The most unexpected and interesting development that Pito and probably M are using spoiler[NerveGear] which is how/why they will die in real life if they lose in GGO rather than by suicide/homicide makes sense given Pito's SAO fixation and money. Really hoping the shot of M and Pito indicate she really does have feelings for him...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
How does inventory work in GGO? I thought they had to physically carry everything thus the magazine/grenade pouches as well as M's giant backpack to carry his shield. But then Pito suddenly equips a helmet, armor and several guns out of nowhere and she wasn't carrying any bags or anything.

I did get a laugh at the green haired girl's short lived stint as a pacifist.
"I don't believe in killing people, even in games"
"Oh nooooo, my buddies died in this video game, that other player must not be human, now I can kill her!"

It's a bit weird the other teams keep calling Pito a monster when she's the only one technically plaything this match how it's supposed to be played. It's a battle royal, while it may not be against the rules the, teams trying to gang up together are going against the spirit of the game more then Pito who is just killing everyone.

Finally, it felt a bit forced that MMTM would suddenly charge the log cabin. Only one member of PM4 was wounded, the rest of the team was fine and in a fortified position. LF and SHINC were both closing in on the cabin. The smartest thing to do would have been to let them all fight it out and then take out the survivor. Attacking a fortified position while having to worry about being attack by two other teams also attacking that position just doesn't make sense.

But aside from nitpicks, the episode was pretty cool. Looking forward to the next one.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Floppy psychotic Pito orgasming from getting shot in the head was extremely creepy, good job GGO.

Pito rising from her grave to Sith Lord Memento Mori was immensely satisfying, though. Gotta love lightsabers. And judging by the next episode title, it looks like LLENN's getting in on the craziness too.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She's gotten too much focus to just be a throwaway character, and if that does turn out to be the case, it would feel like a waste.

I heard they cut out her backstory in the anime or something like that.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
The reason for the subpar production quality is due to the fact that a majority of the episodes has been fully outsourced. Studio 3Hz only did episodes 1, 2, 5, and 8. Why isn't the studio that's meant to be making the show actually making it? Well they've got their attention and resources focused on their Black Fox project coming later this year so GGO's quality is going to suffer as a result.

You can see which studios did what outsourced episode both in the ED credits and on this sites very encyclopedia by scrolling and reading what's under the production cooperation section of the anime's entry.

Your average 20ish minute length episode of anime takes on average about 2 to 3 months, yes months, to make depending on how much animation it contains. Productions involve several different teams with rotating staff working on multiple episodes simultaneously. In other words, that week delay was only just enough to allow the completion of the episode that should have aired in in the recap's place.

GGO should not have aired in the season it did. I suspect the reason it was may have something to do with getting fans excited and interested in the SAO brand again in time for the main series third season later this year.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
^I personally would already be liking her character if she was voiced by somebody else, but I have to say, Yoko Hikasa’s voice acting as Pito makes her an absolute delight in my eyes and makes the show many times more fun. I’m already a fan of her past work, but it’s like she was born for this role based on her nuances in quiet scenes which are then contrasted well when she has to be bombastic for killing sprees. She sounds like she genuinely enjoys doing the role too, so that’s always a good thing.

She also played a crazy chick in one of Petegeuse/Betelgesue's followers in Re:Zero 2 years ago. She already had proven she can do this kind of roles long ago.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
She also played a crazy chick in one of Petegeuse/Betelgesue's followers in Re:Zero 2 years ago. She already had proven she can do this kind of roles long ago.

Yeah, I agree that Yoko Hikasa has already proven herself well in this type of role in the past as I’ve heard her in many roles in my time as an anime fan. I just wanted to use the latest episodes of this series to gush about her performance as I really enjoy her work in general. (It might come off as slightly fanboyish to some and I apologize to those bothered by it.)
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
Pito must have bought some pretty powerful plot armor before the game started to survive a direct headshot.

Everything about her arc makes me roll my eye so hard, it's so idiotic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12