• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Creator Akira Toriyama Dies at 68

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The only work of his I've engaged with (that I know of) is Chrono Trigger, where he designed the characters. Still, what an impactful person in the world of anime and manga.
EDIT: I just read that he contributed to the Dragon Quest series, which I have played some of also.

May you sing forever in harmony, Akira Toriyama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Tezuka, who died at 60, is the most important mangaka of all time and there would be no Toriyama without him but Toriyama directly influenced thousands upon thousands of working artists today internationally due to being active in more connected work and there are blatant homages to DBZ in blockbusters like Man of Steel or fights like Thanons v Dr. Strange due to that. Kirkman´s Invincible or Fire Power couldn´t exist without Dragon Ball and there isn´t a (Shounen) action manga out there that isn´t trying to harness Toriyama´s legacy. The DBZ games alone are a billion-dollar industry! Toriyama ascended far above what 99,99% of bestselling comic authors can dream of and is of importance to art itself in the same masters like Rembrandt are. And I say this as someone who likes him most for Dr. Slump despite Dragon Ball being my actual childhood and DBZ my early teens. He sadly worked himself to the bone for 3 decades before stepping off the gas in the mid-90s so I never expected him to last into old age. 80-100 hour workweeks aren´t the only problem. Drawing on deadlines itself is physically demanding in the same way let´s say wrestling is. The likes of Oda won´t reach 70 either. RIP.

Either version of DBS is now doomed to make even less sense due to its story editor being gone. The anime can at least be sunsetted unless it adapts the 2 manga original arcs and DBS: SH. Who even knows if the manga´s DBS: SH sequel can be finished coherently and there are loose stands like Black Frieza having ascended above Goku and Vegate combined on top of that. Lol. End of Z lastly remains the last canonical endpoint of the timelines. Something I can more than live with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
nachlader

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Rest in Peace, Sensei.
funkfoot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Viz finally Tweeted on the topic:

If Viz really wants to pay their respects they should finally release Dragonball uncensored in America. The man's art deserves to be seen unspoiled.
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
He was the king of shonen, even if he did not acknowledge himself as such. He inspired so many patterns in boys comics in Japan and many more pieces of media, when all he wanted was to draw fun manga and to make people laugh. All who he touched through his drawings and characters will continue to proliferate long into the future after all of this is gone, at least I would like to think so. This is going to have huge ripples for both good and ill; hopefully the former outweighs the latter. Thanks, Toriyama-sensei, for being our hero and tackling life with as much vigor as your most iconic character Son Goku. We will do our best to do right by you. RIP

For sensei's wife Yoshimi Kato, who pushed her love to put in the Chinese martial arts that defined the early arcs of the story, I feel for your loss and pray for your long health. To Sasuke, his son, I hope you recognize everything your father stood for and will continue to go forward with all your beliefs. Be strong, be bold, and be true to your true selves. I believe in you, and so do all of us. God bless.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:45 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Tezuka, who died at 60, is the most important mangaka of all time and there would be no Toriyama without him but Toriyama directly influenced thousands upon thousands of working artists today internationally due to being active in more connected work and there are blatant homages to DBZ in blockbusters like Man of Steel or fights like Thanons v Dr. Strange due to that. Kirkman´s Invincible or Fire Power couldn´t exist without Dragon Ball and there isn´t a (Shounen) action manga out there that isn´t trying to harness Toriyama´s legacy. The DBZ games alone are a billion-dollar industry! Toriyama ascended far above what 99,99% of bestselling comic authors can dream of and is of importance to art itself in the same masters like Rembrandt are. And I say this as someone who likes him most for Dr. Slump despite Dragon Ball being my actual childhood and DBZ my early teens. He sadly worked himself to the bone for 3 decades before stepping off the gas in the mid-90s so I never expected him to last into old age. 80-100 hour workweeks aren´t the only problem. Drawing on deadlines itself is physically demanding in the same way let´s say wrestling is. The likes of Oda won´t reach 70 either. RIP.

Either version of DBS is now doomed to make even less sense due to its story editor being gone. The anime can at least be sunsetted unless it adapts the 2 manga original arcs and DBS: SH. Who even knows if the manga´s DBS: SH sequel can be finished coherently and there are loose stands like Black Frieza having ascended above Goku and Vegate combined on top of that. Lol. End of Z lastly remains the last canonical endpoint of the timelines. Something I can more than live with.

Not many manga-ka or similar can be put on a level on near Tezuka. Go Nagai, Toriyama, Shotaro Ishinomori, and Hayao Miyazaki are on that list.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:20 am Reply with quote
Toriyama-sama, your work is iconic, nothing short of it, and has influenced countless lives throughout the world. That includes my own, as I think of your entire Dragonball series on a bookshelf in one of my bedrooms. Your passing is just simply inconceivable and does not feel of the current reality. You spent your life living it to your fullest, with even more still to come.

Thank you for all that you’ve given the world. It truly would be very different without you. Anime cry
Alienmaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:46 am Reply with quote
Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama-sensei

Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:02 am Reply with quote
Two anime are part of the childhood of many Portuguese kids growing up in the 90's: They are Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon. Through Dragon Ball, this man effectively belongs to my childhood. Many of us would go on to watch many more anime.

I imagine this is the same for millions of us around the world.

My condolences to all his friends and loved ones, and to his most hardcore fans, and to the mangaka community that knew him.

Rest in Peace, Toryiama-sensei. Your legacy will live on.
NieR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:17 am Reply with quote
I never got into most of his works, unfortunately. I'm really looking forward to the Sand Land anime and video game though.

Chrono Trigger is forever a top 5 favorite video game for me.

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama is to battle shounen what Osamu Tezuka is to manga: the Godfather.

Going through everyone's reactions and tributes what strikes me is I think, in an ironic way, we all have kinda taken for granted how big, influential, and timeless Dragon Ball is. Dragon Ball has bridged cultures, generations, and even changed our language. Any power-up or significant transformation is referred to as "going Super Saiyan" & any giant energy beam is generically referred to as a "Kamehameha." Beyond just being a well-known franchise, Dragon Ball genuinely changed the world.

I will also always admire Akira Toriyama for not resting on his laurels in the Super-era. Criticisms aside, it was apparent to me that he was always trying to push for new avenues of storytelling to do different things within the framework of modern Dragon Ball while still giving the fans what they want.

I've experienced the Dragon Ball saga countless times through various mediums to the point that it lives rent-free in my head daily, and I am just one of millions who feel the same way. The intensity of my fandom may vary from year-to-year, but one immutable fact for me is that Dragon Ball will never be surpassed. King Yemma knows that we're all gonna be celebrating Akira Toriyama's life & his work with a little extra zenkai power when Sparking! Zero drops.

Thank you Toriyama-sama for giving me and the world Dragon Ball.[/i]
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:08 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Akira Toriyama is to battle shounen what Osamu Tezuka is to manga: the Godfather.

As much as I have the utmost respect for Toriyama, & I absolutely love Dragon Ball, this is a bit incorrect, and I'm sure even he wouldn't have wanted to be called "The Godfather of Battle Shonen", especially since he always preferred comedy.

Toriyama was the guy who popularized that style around the world, but he didn't "invent" it to anywhere near the extent that people try to say he did. In comparison, Tezuka is called the "Godfather of Manga" because he was essentially there from the very beginning of the medium's modern incarnation, establishing so much of what we tend to associate with it today. Much like how others were later influenced by him, Toriyama was influenced by what came before him, namely titles like Fist of the North Star by Buronson & Tetsuo Hara, Kinnikuman by Yudetamago, & Ring ni Kakero by Masami Kurumada, and especially that last one, which even Shueisha has deemed "The Hot-Blooded Fighting/Battle Manga Bible"; someone can't be the "Godfather" if a genre if they didn't write the "Bible" for it.

I shared it in a post a few pages back, but Toriyama even wrote the afterword for Volume 23 of RnK (dating back to 1982), stating that he wished he could make manga as intense as Kurumada, but felt that he didn't even have 1/10 the intensity in him to do so. Ironically enough, Kurumada would later say that he had to push himself in order to shine as brightly as Toriyama would do naturally. Toriyama wound up being the guy who refined the genre to its most popular form & truly took it worldwide, which is definitely his accomplishment & why he's to be celebrated, but that's because he built on the style, format, & codification that came before him for the genre, as a whole.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Toriyama is in the top 10 influential and globally impactful Japanese Manga artists of all time. Alongside Osamu Tezuka, Shotaro Ishinomori, Go Nagai, Runiko Takahashi, Goseki Kojima, Leiji Matsumoto, etc.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
If Viz really wants to pay their respects they should finally release Dragonball uncensored in America. The man's art deserves to be seen unspoiled.

Sure if some of that art didn’t involve using a teenage girl’s exposed breasts and other body parts for fanservice and comedy,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9