• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Speaking of which, I hate that people will say you should watch F/SN and F/Z in release order.

Most people say it should be:

Fate/Stay Night 2006, skip UBW the movie, Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 2014, Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel.

If you ask me, you should watch Fate/Zero as late into it as possible. Watch it last. You're meant to have played through all 3 routes before reading Fate/Zero.

Understandable. However, I feel it unfair for people (myself included) to say we should wait till AFTER Heaven's Feel comes out before watching Zero, considering Heaven's Feel could still be a long ways away and not even guaranteed it'll only be one movie (I have no knowledge on whether there will be more than one). It's either they have to play the visual novel, which isn't for some people, or tell them they should wait years before watching Zero.

I'm not saying your justification is wrong as I do feel you have a point. But I personally won't tell someone to not watch an awesome show just because one of the sequel storylines hasn't been animated yet.

Ah, have no fear. Whenever I recommend it to a friend and they want to watch the entire Fate series, I ALWAYS recommend they do it in that order, except skip on Heaven's Feel because it's not adapted yet. Once it gets adapted, all future recs will be to finish all routes before seeing Fate/Zero, but for now, this is enough.
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Goldenboy, I find that anime very hilarious, in many ways. I love how that kentaro always make those reaction faces with the way he sees women and girls in random ways his reactions just make me laugh and whenever he makes a statement out loud he cracks me up!Laughingi can't stop laughing at the part from episode 2 where he shouts out she's not wearing any panties either! i bursted into tears of laughter when i heard that. i even saw an internet meme saying Kentaro Oe: what's his face made out of? i couldn't stop laughing at that even. it was too much even for me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanYasha wrote:
Goldenboy, I find that anime very hilarious, in many ways.

Yeah, it's just as funny now as it was twenty-some years ago.... Laughing

I started Haiyore! Nyaruko-san.

Exceeded my expectations. It's just hilarious. Kudos to the 4th wall jokes...if there's one trope I cannot resist.....it's that one.

And Nyaruko is so cute. :3
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Jūbei-chan 2. The latter half of the show is a bit more somber than the former, but it's also more humorous to the point where the 4th wall is often broken. The light-hearted moments sometimes happened in situations in which sadness or conflict were present, which caused them to lose its flavor a bit.

Overall, I enjoyed watching Jūbei-chan. It's not a show that would net a Blue Ribbon, but it is good if one is looking for a show to watch while relaxing or being leisurely active.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Tenchi Muyo's first two OVA series. They were great. Where should I go from here? I don't want to be disappointed. ^^ Any suggestions?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
@louis6578

If you mean within the Tenchi Muyo franchise, I would recommend you go ahead and watch the third OVA. It is a bit controversial but I found it enjoyable. The third OVA and Tenchi Muyo GPX are the remainder of that continuity. If you get the third OVA on disk, be sure to watch the extra "The Real Tenchi Tour". It shows the actual locations of several places from the OVA.

The Tenchi Universe TV series starts the entire series over again and goes off on a tangent or two.

If you would like unrelated anime from the same team and the same period I would recommend the first OVA of El Hazard. It is really good.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Within the Tenchi OVA franchise, there's also Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari (Funimation has it as Tench Muyo: War On Geminar), which is a spinoff with a different cast. I like it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
To celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Pokémon, I watched Pokémon Origins. The battles Red had with Blue, Brock, Giovanni, and the formidable Mewtwo were a thrilling sight! Smile Had it not been for the show's time constraints, I would have enjoyed seeing more battles from at least the Elite Four.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Taking a break from Fushigi Yuugi after Miaka went back to her world. Watching Saber Marionette J.

On episode 2. Lime is adorable. I love her. She's amazing. She can do no wrong. I want her to be my marionette. Hnngh...
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Finished Ouran, really great shoujo title. Reminds me of a typical shoujo, perhaps the quintessential example for its decade. Of course, besides being a shoujo, Ouran also has a ton of Otaku culture elements inserted into its narrative. Otaku culture was becoming collet by the time the show was made. The amount of cross dressing involved was also very high.

Also finished Ghost in the Shell SAC. I didn't find it as impressive as other favorites. It's more popular among western Anime fans than Ghost in the Shell the movie. I like the concept of Cyborgs, the idea of having disposable body that you can just change bodies and modify at will is cool. But, besides that I found it a bit boring and cliche police procedural. The ending was good though, better than the rest of the series, specially liked the sacrifice of these little robot to sabe mr. Batou. These characters are already legendary indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
I was thinking about watching Monster Rancher, but the sub is merely a myth! The dub... erm. The voice acting is actually passable, but I can't abide by those annoying, Tex Avery sound effects that they insist on shoving into my face every few minutes.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well my gf and I just started Akame ga Kill together. Liking it so far. A nice mix of action and a little bit of suspense. Not expecting award worthy material with it. Just hoping to see some nice fights and action and be entertained. I got the first set BR so we're watching the dub. I avoided watching it on Adult Swim previously knowing a BR release would eventually happen. Same with Parasyte. Saw some streaming when it came out but avoided the dub on AS to wait for the BR. Parasyte or Tokyo Ghoul will probably be my next choice for us after Akame.

The next title I think she is picking for us is going to be Karneval. I bought it for her for x-mas in 2014 so it's high time we got to it lol. I figure that will give us a nice change of pace compared to Akame. Better get myself ready for the pretty boys heh.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Where have I been recently? Well I took on first episodes two other OVAs, Blood Reign: Curse of The Yoma and Gun Smith Cats. For the former supposedly its boring and under most circumstances such perception is usually down to being in a specific genre audience, here though is a rare exception of bits not usually going together to form a misconception. Ninja anime usually have action in them, this is a horror story. I can actually get why people would call this boring. Laughing With that said as a horror story it is somewhat solid, kind of slow yet it works, and has some of the best creature designs I've seen in a while, definitely done well for the time. For the latter it is supposedly in the same universe as Riding Bean, how I don't know; both take place in Chicago, but by that logic Tristar Godzilla should have fought Q The Winged Serpent and the Ghostbusters. It was actiony enough and set up a decent atmosphere, granted not necessarily one that reflects Chicago (because I have been there and it is very distinct like New York City), and unlike Riding Bean they remembered to place in sound effects this time.

So things I watched and FINISHED. First among them is that final episode of Triage X. Oh it isn't in English, I watched it in Spanish subs, because fansubbers hate Google Translate or something I don't know. Rehab that ends with yuri fanservice, for an action based crime anime, yeah I am disappointed too. Granted it is better than the last four episodes to some degree. After that was Sacred Seven's compilation movie: Wings of The Silver Moon. Aside from some extra footage of Knight's back story there wans't much here. Next came episode 4 of Akito The Exile since the final episode should be out soon and OH MY GOSH THEY BROKE THE FORMULA! Yeah, the first three episodes have a specific pattern of "first half is endless babble, some important some not, second half has nice action and conspiracy build up". Not here, here they have multiple fight scenes throughout and the talking scenes serve ACTUALLY POINTS! *applaudes* Still slow at points, but I will take what I can get after gypsy detours. Unfortunately this also explains why the French are suddenly anti-Japanese for some reason. In coming rant. spoiler[They were "afraid of Britannia". FAIL. This series takes place between the seasons of the main series, it was more or less known that the Black Knights were proving that Britannia was faltering and could be beaten. If the French felt that strongly about an enemy they would be HELPING the Japanese instead of being "afraid". You're the French! You have one of the most impressive war resumes of any nation in the history of modern warfare! And yes I have studied French culture, they literally have a museum in Paris dedicated to the various factions they conquered over the millennia! Add to that a world class education system often in the top 10 on the planet, the citizens should know better that ALLIES ARE A GOOD THING!]

You know someone screwed up when they get the language down perfectly fine yet the culture is misrepresented. George from G Gundam is a better interpretation of France than the French in Code Geass. Just.... AGH! And yes I know they can be discriminatory, but not to the extent Sunrise is portraying here ESPECIALLY in wartime! I'd say rant over, but that was the GOOD I watched, lets sink into the abyss of terrifying mystery of astonishment and other adjectives you'd find on a Silver Age Marvel comic!

Bodacious Space Pirates: Abyss of Hyperspace AKA wow this should have been a one shot OVA. I thought the series was meh, but I am a completest. The ear rotting opening theme and slow pacing make a return as do the neat ships. So yeah spoiler[boy runs from military men, the pirates take him, his robot bird is a key to a space ship his dad made, said ship turns into a robot, and can fix some massive X shaped hole in hyper space.] Was that too short a summary for the entire plot? Probably not, especially since the entire second third is an extremely drawn out hacking movie and the techno babble goes on seemingly forever to the point where you start to wonder if this was supposed to be an extra episode or two of the TV series but someone decided to throw in another episode idea and someone decided to make it a movie. Makes sense to me. Also Chiaki does nothing, I know she's a fan favorite and I figured I might as well bring that up. Aside from the princess sisters getting different outfits you really aren't missing anything character wise. Like at all. Still, the ship fights were good and it at least looked pretty.

And finally the first Nanoha movie. Oh my, been four and a half years since I first chainsawed this franchise into oblivion and became freaked out from my first exposure to loli fan service to the point of mistaking it for lolicon. *shrivels* I shouldn't be this hard on the movie since the scenery is actually good, they did reduce fanservice creepiness to just transformation scenes, they dumped the really disturbing ending theme, there is decent action, and Precia is developed better as a villain with some more flashbacks to give a full picture of her fall from grace. So why the hell do I still have a major problem with this? Part of it is the rigorously slow pacing, but that by itself wasn't enough. The time-space patrol acts incompetent, but even then that is barely anything. Then I realized this was adapted from a failed attempt at being a monster of the week series except with barely having any (on a side note, the monster designs do not fit well with the scenery that well, the styles kind of clash). That is when it hit me as to why this franchise strikes a nerve with me so much: It offers a bait and switch with potential. The main premise should be about using technology to hunt magical artifacts not across just one planet, but various dimensions and if Vita slaying monsters in A's is any indication these worlds can be unique and creative.

What does this do instead? Barely treasure hunting whatsoever, barely any world building, and overall really bad focus. If you think about it why did the jewel seeds needed to be 21 in total? If the story was short wouldn't 6 or 7 make more sense? Is this supposed to be a really bad parody of adventure anime and only now am I getting it? Stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, and some entries of the Braves franchise were centered around adventure and to a lesser degree treasure hunting; I bring them up because they all aired in the 90s and this came out in the early 00s. The first two series have a similar style and introduction episodes except they were aimed for late night adults and formed from an eroge trilogy. *shrivels* Was this meant as a giant middle finger to kids series with that type of premise? Did otaku at the time like marketing like this? (I doubt they do now considering how hard Iron Blooded Orphans has been tanking in ratings) What I do know is that I don't like it and it is still in my bottom 15 worst anime of all time, the only difference is now I have another reason to justify it being there, you can't just promise big set ups and do absolutely nothing with them!

The A's compilation movie will have its fair share really soon. For those of you that heard of Nanoha but haven't seen it I am going to break a myth now: It has nothing in common with Gundam contrary to what 4chan may tell you, Nanoha is nicknamed the White Devil to some people of staff supposedly and the rival has blonde hair, but the similarities end there.
.xJennyRosex.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching the one and only 'Bleach' just starting the final anime Arc 'Fullbringer' and I almost don't want to watch it as I know once I do it is over for the anime series! Sad I am in the middle of reading the Manga and 'The Thousand Year War Arc' is beyond AMAZING! they really need to grace our screen with this masterpiece! Very Happy I can't deal with all the rumours anymore just make it official and bring it back this year... the manga is well into the story they have more then enough to go on 'anime -related' without catching up to soon with the Manga. There really is no Anime like it and I have watched many and there good but just don't compare... lol, I didn't even mind the fillers. They just need to bring it back! ha for those of you who are still undecided and thought it died a death after the 'Aizen Arc' you are wrong start reading the latest Arc and you will understand why this really needs to come back to our screens Very Happy
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
Speaking of things that get really good after the arc where most people stopped watching/reading, I was reading Gash Bell! Just finished rereading the Faudo arc. I have to say, this is #1 on my "needs a new anime adaptation" list. A lot of the best emotional moments I've had the pleasure of experiencing came from this manga, and to date, it's the only manga that made me cry reading it. Anime can do that more often because the music and voices really do make a difference (I stand by saying that I would NOT have cried watching Anohana if they hadn't picked the perfect song to play at the... emotional climax moment).

I have a lot of friends who tell me that the dub wasn't that bad, and that they liked it. I remember showing one such friend the dub just as a refresher and his reaction was along the lines of "I actually liked that?" It's a shame that Viz marketed this as a kids show instead of a shounen action show, trying and failing to appeal to a mass market instead of succeeding at appealing to the niche market of anime fans it was actually intended for. The western audience DOES matter to Japan, and I think that if this had taken off here, we might have seen a complete anime adaptation by now, one decade after the manga ended. Alas, no such luck.

As much as I'd love to bash the terrible dub for the many things it did wrong, I think I'll say a few things that I could appreciate out of it. I liked that Jem and Folgore had accents (British and Italian respectively). In fact, I felt kind of cheated out of something cool when I remembered that Sherry and Koko didn't have French accents. I also liked how Zatch (Gash) and Zeno (Zeon) had the same dub voice, making Zeno sound like an evil Zatch. Of course, if the actors put more heart into their lines, I would've loved it. In an anime where these spells aren't supposed to work unless you put your heart and soul into reciting them, acting is key. I couldn't help noticing that nobodies and people who aren't usually in anime were at the forefront of this dub, while Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum, Johnny Yong Bosch, and a few other big names were minor roles.

Back to the manga reading! I remember when I watched this on Toonami, Kanchome and Folgore were my least favorites and Brago and Sherry were my favorites. Now, I think I love Kanchome the most. His spells are illusion and trickery, making him the weakest, but also the one who needs to rely on strategies. I love those sorts of characters in anime (looking at you, Usopp).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 897 of 1062