• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rozen Maiden Traumend DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:
Although the whole doll thing is a well established genre unto itself, [..]

It is? Which other anime have dolls as the main characters?

Chobits.

Well-established doesn't necessarily mean bountiful.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Saber Marionette is an older (and mostly forgotten) example of the genre, as well.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Chobits's and Saber Marionette J's dolls/androids seem to be human-sized though, as opposed to Rozen Maiden's ones, who are much smaller.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
So because they're human sized as opposed to being tiny, they're no longer dolls?
Case

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Chobits's and Saber Marionette J's dolls/androids seem to be human-sized though, as opposed to Rozen Maiden's ones, who are much smaller.

I think more importantly (correct me if I'm wrong, I've never watched Chobits) persocoms and marionettes are spoiler[androids/human clones], not ball jointed dolls.

Androids and robots are well established as a trope in anime as I'm sure everyone reading this thread knows, but I'm not so sure that a "doll anime" genre has really been established to date. Rozen Maiden stands out as a one of a kind specimen in my mind.

(On a somewhat related note this year's Mechademia new this month is all about things like dolls and androids in anime and how viewers perceive them in shades of humanity. Interesting stuff, I'd recommend anyone reading this thread to check it out.)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well, Chobits deals a little with the theme of robots wanting to be human, which is what the Alice Game is all about. The biggest difference between robots and dolls is one is magical/supernatural, while the other is sci-fi. I don't care enough to make the distinction. Like, in the Negima manga, Chachamaru gets a decent amount of development, and I think she's only ever called a robot (and she has an AI), but she's powered by magic, and her "older sisters" are all dolls run completely on magic and no electronic programming.
petran79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

I think more importantly (correct me if I'm wrong, I've never watched Chobits) persocoms and marionettes are spoiler[androids/human clones], not ball jointed dolls.

There is a difference between doll, puppet and marionette regardless of size

A doll is usually referred as a toy, a puppet is used for puppet theater or stop-motion animation or even by a person dressed as one, while a marionette is a puppet controlled usually from above by using strings.

That is why I'd define the Rozen Maiden characters as 2D puppets . if you consider it, anime was influenced by bunraku theater a lot so many characters act like puppets.

Also in Vampire Miyu OVA there is an episode about puppets.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:18 am Reply with quote
Any way you swing it, this show´s ending was written by muppets.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
As opposed to the trained monkeys the other studios have?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
Monkeys actauly know when a show's run it's course.

Not to spoil anything, but RM had run it's course as far as the anime was concerned, the cards were on the table, chracters x y and z were dead, left, gotten over themselves or a mix thereof and all there was left was to have the fight to the finish with the big bad and his little faux-doll.

Or so it should of been.

What happaned instead is that the ending from Gundam Seed Destiny (also writtian by muppets who, as far as I can tell, have been out a job since and thank goodness for that) and somehow made that ending seem downright great in comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2