• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's Streams of Phi Brain Put on Hold

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
:whoosh:

Is that the emoticon for a 747 landing at Airport City?
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote

And just like that, Phi Brain is back on CR.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/phi-brain
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

And back in its old position on the lineup page, as well. It appears all has been resolved.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
has anyone noticed that crunchy roll seems to be grabbing up a lot of titles recently? I mean are they grabbing them up to cover up some big flaw in their service or to have more titles to attract more viewers so companies releasing titles on DVD/BD have less to release and get sales with?

dude, do you have any idea who crunchy roll is?

TV tokyo runs it, you know, the biggest anime broadcasting corporation in Japan. The one that brings you the most popular saturday morning cartoons. They are the warner brothers of anime.

Since they air the show on TV in Japan - obviously they have the rights to stream anything they want. They dont sell DVDs - because they are a TV station.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
That's not entirely accurate. Unless TV Tokyo bought out CR somewhat recently. CR began as an unlicensed streaming site that aggregated fansubs much like MangaFox aggregates manga today.

Then once they had built up enough name recognition and userbase from all that, they secured venture capital, culled all of the fansub content, and struck deals with Japanese companies for streaming rights to go "legitimate."

TV Tokyo may now have an investment in the site, but I don't believe they are the "owners" per se.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

...and still unavailable to 99% of the world. Bleh.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:

Just to be accurate, but the population of the US is actually about 4.5% of the world, or 6% of the total world's landmass.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

What did you expect? Phi Brain was first licensed in Fall2011, before Crunchyroll was getting sublicenses outside of North America.

The Coffee God wrote:

We'll never know (barring an industry insider interview years down the track) whether it was a case of not realizing that under the terms of the Phi Brain contract, some permission was needed that wasn't needed for the new Sentai sublicenses to Crunchyroll, ...
... but this would at least fit that scenario. The point gets raised that Sentai overstepped their license, Crunchyroll has to turn off the page, flurry of discussion behind the scenes, "no further word from Japan, no guarantees if they'll approve or when", CR takes the box down, ...
... wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, ...
... the approval comes through, the sublicense is now good, put the page back up.

However it went down, I'm happy ~ its not a series I would spend computer time watching on my netbook, but I was planning on adding it to my queue to watch on my Roku.

aereus wrote:
That's not entirely accurate. Unless TV Tokyo bought out CR somewhat recently. CR began as an unlicensed streaming site that aggregated fansubs much like MangaFox aggregates manga today.

They were not an aggregator, they hosted their own streams. However, since it was a user-upload site, almost everything they hosted was a bootleg. They had a "don't upload material licensed in the US" policy, but nowhere near enough staff to enforce it.

Quote:
Then once they had built up enough name recognition and userbase from all that, they secured venture capital, culled all of the fansub content, and struck deals with Japanese companies for streaming rights to go "legitimate."

More accurately, they were constantly running into the red and having to make it up out of their own pockets, and they had to decide between going legit or shutting the site down. Continuing as they were going previously was not an option ~ after all, since they were hosting, they had streaming video bandwidth costs to pay, where an aggregator site just freeloads off of someone else.

Quote:
TV Tokyo may now have an investment in the site, but I don't believe they are the "owners" per se.

Yes, this was announced in 2010, they invested $750,000, which is a long, long way from majority control. Owning a piece but not owning control is sometimes expressed as "owning a stake".
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

We'll never know (barring an industry insider interview years down the track) whether it was a case of not realizing that under the terms of the Phi Brain contract, some permission was needed that wasn't needed for the new Sentai sublicenses to Crunchyroll, ...
... but this would at least fit that scenario. The point gets raised that Sentai overstepped their license, Crunchyroll has to turn off the page, flurry of discussion behind the scenes, "no further word from Japan, no guarantees if they'll approve or when", CR takes the box down, ...
... wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, ...
... the approval comes through, the sublicense is now good, put the page back up.

We'll never really know, but an interesting theory was brought up yesterday by someone on TAN ( dragonrider_cody ) that might explain it.

Save for their first simulcast, they've always had at least one TAN exclusive.
With the new Phi-Brain now on CR, that leaves nothing on TAN as their exclusive.

Maybe the reason Phi-Brain got pulled from CR for a short time was perhaps because Sentai had something else planned as the exclusive, and the contract couldn't be agree upon yet, so they pulled Phi Brain back to being a TAN exclusive until the contract for the other title was finalized.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
to paraphrase;

In the realm of Anime, Never attribute to American malice that which is adequately explained by Japanese Assholery.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
blech now I remember Why I don't like posting on here, most of you guys carry around this all high and mighty attitude because you all think you know more then other people. When someone posts their opinion or has a thought you guys immediately tear through the person not even considering that the person who posted might not have all the facts, to top it all off the few with the all mightier then though attitude go around and chew into the people who add to the first persons thoughts after others tear through it to satisfy their own need to feel better because they talk like they know more. it's no wonder a lot of people outside of the anime viewing community has a bad opinion of anime and anime fans in general. I Admit I didn't have all the facts so I'm sorry but there was no need to go around down talking my ONE post on the subject and make it look like I'm some kind of idiot
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
has anyone noticed that crunchy roll seems to be grabbing up a lot of titles recently? I mean are they grabbing them up to cover up some big flaw in their service ...

The Crunchyroll CEO said on a reddit AMA last summer that they make an effort to get every anime that goes to broadcast in Japan.

So there is no change in the number of anime Crunchyroll are "picking" ~ they pick every one and don't pass on any.

Getting more titles means that more of their offers are being accepted.

We could speculate / argue / bicker about why more offers are being accepted, but it should start from the base of Crunchyroll having the target of trying to get everything from back in 2008 when they realized that they had to either go legit or pull the plug on the site.

The Coffee God wrote:
We'll never really know, but an interesting theory was brought up yesterday by someone on TAN ( dragonrider_cody ) ...

Maybe the reason Phi-Brain got pulled from CR for a short time was perhaps because Sentai had something else planned as the exclusive, and the contract couldn't be agree upon yet, so they pulled Phi Brain back to being a TAN exclusive until the contract for the other title was finalized.

Except that if Crunchyroll had a valid signed contract, its not clear why they would have to take down the episodes they already had. That's why I lean toward contract glitch of some form, it explains the oddest part of the whole thing.

And if there was a contract glitch, Phi Brain 2 was the most likely to have a contract glitch, because it was a sequel.

However, my example of a specific kind of contract glitch was never intended to be the "most likely kind" ~ I've never seen the terms of one of these contracts, and the devil is normally in the details. So in line with what dragonrider cody notes, it could be conflicting contract terms between the TAN sublicense and the Crunchyroll sublicense. If the TAN sublicense was signed first, as I'd assume it would be as a matter of course, and if there was a conflict in the terms of the two contracts, it would be the Crunchyroll contract that was invalid, so the TAN stream would stay on and the Crunchyroll stream go dark until the glitch was sorted out.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

:whoosh:

roflcopter lolwut

potatochobit wrote:
TV tokyo runs it, you know, the biggest anime broadcasting corporation in Japan. The one that brings you the most popular saturday morning cartoons. They are the warner brothers of anime.

you forgot nhk, tbs, tv asahi, fuji tv and ntv.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

you forgot nhk, tbs, tv asahi, fuji tv and ntv.

Crunchyroll's got them too. Though I can't put my finger on any NHK anime other than Erin Beastplayer, which was NHK-E.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Crunchyroll's got them too. Though I can't put my finger on any NHK anime other than Erin Beastplayer, which was NHK-E.

Humorously enough, Phi-Brain is an NHK title, though it's listed on CR under the animation studio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3