• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sword in the Stranger

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holybell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
That is too much rock for one Gundam. Him I see another show that I have an interest in and it's Izumo. I forget if it it's PJ or Blood- that always gets an interest in shows in the Perishable shelf. So it looks like I will have to rent this one to check it out.

It's your lucky day! It's being streamed, so you can watch it right now. Very Happy

I'll probably watch some of it tomorrow then.

I tried watching the first episode and I couldn't go past the first half of it. >___< Yes, it sucked that badly.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
You rated Aquarion way to highly

I mean has their been a more obnoxious female lead than the one from Aquarion.

Jackass? Check
Never shuts up? Check
Egotistical? Check
Wants to have sex with her own brother? Check

Add the utter pretentiousness of the series. Yes I saw Evangelion too, but the whole ripping off Abrahamic Religion got old. The least they could do is switch up the damn thing and not just rip off the same thing.

I know there is werid fetishes in Japan, but that is SICK and absolutely discusting for anyone to think that. There is nothing normal at all about that, nothing at all.

But Izumo sounds like complete garbage. It reminds me of this horriable manga I read where the guy (who had as much brains as a five year old) had a harem of 10 women and one would constantly reapeat she would not lose.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I know there is wierd fetishes in Japan, but that is SICK and absolutely disgusting for anyone to think that. There is nothing normal at all about that, nothing at all.

I'm assuming you're talking about the "loves her brother" thing? Well, for starters, it's rather shallow; her real love interest lies elsewhere, her feelings for her brother are immature and relatively nonsexual. She's very young (14, I think), and you get the feeling she uses it as a protective wall against growing up. Also her brother does not reciprocate the feelings, so this isn't Koi Kaze. Lastly, I'm not one of those people who think that incest is just fine so long as you don't have children (let's not get into that debate here, please!), but I think it's a little extreme to call anyone "disgusting" right off the bat, especially when they don't act on their feelings. If she were an older sibling molesting a younger sibling, it would be one thing, but it's a silly crush that she gets over as the series progresses. In her case, it's not "disgusting," it's just foolish and a character flaw - one that makes her annoying as heck, and drags out the fulfillment of the real romance much longer than necessary.

But clearly none of this is an endorsement of Aquarion. I consider it Perishable. It had a good premise, but in the end its only redeeming feature to me was the gorgeous operatic soundtrack by Youko Kanno.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lastly, I'm not one of those people who think that incest is just fine so long as you don't have children

I'll not touch the morality of incest, but speaking as someone trained in genetics, siblings having children together isn't the risk people make it out to be. In fact, unless there's a dangerous recessive allele in your family bloodline, it's not really a risk at all, unless the practice continues unabated for generations. If families do this, a la the pharoahs of Egypt, a random mutation can arise and become harmful, though it would take dozens of generations, not just one or two.

Baccano is one of my favorite series of all times. I too thought the OVA episodes worked well as both sequel and epilogue. I really hope they go for another story from the books someday.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Izumo: Takeki Tsuru no Senki, which is based on the eroge of the same name
Actually Izumo -Takeki Tsurugi no Senki- (2005) is based on a eroge called Izumo 2 (2004). Izumo 2 -Takeki Tsurugi no Senki- is the name of the 2006 PS2 release.

Not that it really matters, because the anime will not convince anyone to try out the game.

Am I the only one who though Aquarion was a parody.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
Aquarion was such a dissapointment. Even Yoko wasn't up to snuff.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
I forget if it it's PJ or Blood- that always gets an interest in shows in the Perishable shelf.

That would be PJ who, on principle, decides that any show an ANN reviewer hates, he will love. I, on the other hand, take all reviews to be the gospel Troof. Wink

Well I was almost right, I just couldn't remember if it was you or PJ who was that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quote
Also is that Rei figure safe for work?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I know there is wierd fetishes in Japan, but that is SICK and absolutely disgusting for anyone to think that. There is nothing normal at all about that, nothing at all.

I'm assuming you're talking about the "loves her brother" thing? Well, for starters, it's rather shallow; her real love interest lies elsewhere, her feelings for her brother are immature and relatively nonsexual. She's very young (14, I think), and you get the feeling she uses it as a protective wall against growing up. Also her brother does not reciprocate the feelings, so this isn't Koi Kaze. Lastly, I'm not one of those people who think that incest is just fine so long as you don't have children (let's not get into that debate here, please!), but I think it's a little extreme to call anyone "disgusting" right off the bat, especially when they don't act on their feelings. If she were an older sibling molesting a younger sibling, it would be one thing, but it's a silly crush that she gets over as the series progresses. In her case, it's not "disgusting," it's just foolish and a character flaw - one that makes her annoying as heck, and drags out the fulfillment of the real romance much longer than necessary.

But clearly none of this is an endorsement of Aquarion. I consider it Perishable. It had a good premise, but in the end its only redeeming feature to me was the gorgeous operatic soundtrack by Youko Kanno.

That's basically it, the incest angle isn't disgusting it's incredibly annoying. I don't want to see 13 episodes of some person being absolute obnoxious bitching about how she wants to be with her brother. Kawamori was obviously trying to go for a Tsundere, but the fact that she's absolutly obnoxious for at least 13 episodes makes the attempt pointless.

That and the idiotic merging, we get it's like an orgasm, that's a stupid concept especially when repeated every episode, and the two male leads being obnoxious for the entire first 13 episodes.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Ah, it's so sad to see Baccano end. But what an ending! Very satisfying, even though I was left wanting more... Funny how you end up rooting for certain characters that scared the bejeezus out of you only a few episodes earlier.

I remember watching the first five episodes of Izumo back when ANN first started streaming stuff (shows based on dating sims are my unfortunate guilty pleasure) and I didn't think it was all that bad... I actually thought it was kinda cool to see that much combat - albeit inconsistent combat - in a dating sim adaptation. But then again, I always try to reserve judgment until I've seen a series in its entirety and it doesn't look like they'll be streaming the rest of the show anytime soon. Guess now I'll never know...
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Oh! Baccano is only 4 discs? Well, that'll make it easier to justify picking it up individually. Thanks for the reviews of it, Bamboo, I'm going to go add it to my Amazon shopping cart now. Laughing

Also, to echo others, "Flushable" is a great name for the bad streaming anime. Kudos. Smile
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Very nice shelf this week--I've been waiting for another one with a good figure collection, especially one with Gundam figures/Gunpla. There were also Ciel and Hazumu figures that I haven't seen before and the chibi Black Jack figure is way cute. But what happened to Onsokumaru? Did Revy kill him?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Oh! Baccano is only 4 discs? Well, that'll make it easier to justify picking it up individually. Thanks for the reviews of it, Bamboo, I'm going to go add it to my Amazon shopping cart now. Laughing

Yup: 13 episodes in the TV run, plus 3 episodes that were released on the DVD only in Japan (spaced out one episode a DVD, presumably to increase sales), makes 16 episodes, and at 4 episodes a disc, that's 4 discs. Smile Short, affordable series without any egregious filler. You gotta love that!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Ah all right, so its not completely creepy. None the less, its a little too weird for my tastes. But I've seen the advertisements and it doesn't look remotely interesting to me.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
I finally checked out some of Baccano's violence on YouTube (some short clips of them) and I think I might actually be able to stomach it after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4