• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Malaysia Censorship Board Chair Speaks on Anime Bans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfdakira

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Weiss-Yohji wrote:
No wonder we should go and make Malaysia and Singapore part of the United States. They need a serious lesson in freedom, including free speech, as punishment for their fucked-up censorship laws.

Idiot.

Agreed. Censorship Laws didn't take out freedom from us, "they" only just cut out scene that will match the film rating applied from the distributor. Very Happy
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
With as much anime as I've seen, i've never though anime was for kids. With shows like Soul Eater, Azumanga, Lain, Code Geass and Genshiken around, who are considered to have "nothing wrong with them", they are not for kids. Hell, even Hanamaru Kindergarden isn't considered kid friendly to me and that's as kiddish as you can get!

*forgets about Di Gi Charat*

Ok, maybe some are...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
No wonder we should go and make Malaysia and Singapore part of the United States. They need a serious lesson in freedom, including free speech, as punishment for their fucked-up censorship laws.

I can hear the battle cry now: We're gonna free the **** outta you!!
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Also would have accepted "America! F@#$, Yeah!"
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
why is it always about the "scantily-clad women", lol
linkinstreet01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editing_of_anime_in_American_distribution

Americans also censor their animes. Get down from yer high horses and realise there are more than downloaded ones that you watch on your PCs.

Btw, the article is misleading to say the most. They left out most of the original press conference untranslated from Malay, which can be found here

Quote:
"Masalahnya, cerita animasi dari Jepun ini panjang sirinya, berpuluh-puluh episod, kadang-kadang dalam satu atau dua episod kandungannya yang kita tengok semuanya okey, tetapi masuk episod keenam baru ada adegan buka-membuka (baju), ini yang bahaya," katanya.
"The problem with Japanese animation that it's quite long. The initial episodes were okay, but then we found out that there were unwanted contents in later ones."
Quote:
"Apa yang terbaik adalah ibu bapa atau penjaga itu sendiri mengawal dan menjaga apa yang ditontoni anak-anak mereka, kalau beli animasi lihatlah dulu kandungan animasi itu sebelum berhasrat untuk membenarkan anak-anak menontonnya," katanya.
"What's best in these situations is that the parents monitor what their kids watches. See what the contents before allowing them to watch it."

Also earlier in the article, he also pointed out the general misconception of animes being regarded as cartoons, which are the same in various other countries. For me it's a non issue.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

The American Empire in GitS:SAC kind of has that approach, maybe the US is just waiting to perfect the cyborg technology to power-up for the invasion of Malaysia to set anime free.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Has September been declared "Let's ban Anime/Manga from our schools/country to save our children!" month? Seriously. I've been seeing so many articles in regards to banning anime/manga. This is ridiculous. They might as well banned everything media related since we really need to "Think of the children!".

And Malaysia sure is hypocritical considering they allow their citizens to sell bootlegged anime. Stealing is all good but watching "inappropriate" anime shows its a big no no. Now that is some awesome parenting. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
With as much anime as I've seen, i've never though anime was for kids. With shows like Soul Eater, Azumanga, Lain, Code Geass and Genshiken around, who are considered to have "nothing wrong with them", they are not for kids. Hell, even Hanamaru Kindergarden isn't considered kid friendly to me and that's as kiddish as you can get!

*forgets about Di Gi Charat*

Ok, maybe some are...

Kids shows are things like Naruto, Onepice, Dragonball, precure.
look at what gets high TV ratings.

All the shows that air at like 2-3AM (that's nearly everything else) are not suposed to be for kids. Look at what get BD sales (hint: non-otaku do not buy TV anime disks).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Because the anime backlog has them reviewing releases from 1999. The article mention films, not series.

The censor board's going to really freak out once loli hits their shores.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No titles named, but chair says some anime scenes "are not good for children"

Duh.
linkinstreet01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
configspace wrote:

Because the anime backlog has them reviewing releases from 1999. The article mention films, not series.

The censor board's going to really freak out once loli hits their shores.
THe article mentions series. See my post
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Anime and manga isn't for young kids.

Some of it is. Witness Doraemon.

Yeah, there are plenty of anime for children...

Anpan Man
Pretty Cure
Tamagotchi
Pokemon
Digimon
Bakugan
Hamtaro
Hayao Miyazaki movies

And so much more.
chocoburger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Anime and manga isn't for young kids.

Some of it is. Witness Doraemon.

Yeah, there are plenty of anime for children...

Anpan Man
Pretty Cure
Tamagotchi
Pokemon
Digimon
Bakugan
Hamtaro
Hayao Miyazaki movies

And so much more.

I'd like to add A Little Snow Fairy Sugar to this list. And wow, you said Digimon? Are any rabid Digimon Tamers fans going to say, "But Tamers was more 'mature'?" (Point: it wasn't. The fighting was more intense, somebody died, and some of the plot was a little trippy, but it was still about a bunch of kids and their monster friends made out of computer data.)

I don't know if some anime is "not for kids" so much as it's not for American kids. We censor shows more heavily than they do in Japan, right? I bet they'd still call some of the shows we call "mature" kids' shows. But there is definitely adult anime -- some of it is just debatable.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
The problem is, in my opinion, cultural differences. While anime is enjoyed by audiences worldwide, there will always be the discussion of appropriateness of the content.

What the Japanese may come to view as acceptable (in most cases) in their anime, it may be questionable in another culture. Of course, the banned and edited anime titles in other countries speak for themselves.

For example, the edits that 4Kids have made to some of their properties. As an anime fan, I find them ridiculous and stupid. Thinking from a logical point of view, I understand why it must be made for localization purposes.

At least, I can take comfort in knowing that DVD/Blu-ray releases keep the content the way it is in the first place before edits are made for broadcasting purposes.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4