• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoko Kanno to score Ragnarok Online 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Anyway, the comparisons between Kajiura and Kanno are inevitable because they really are the only two decent anime show (not movie) composers out there AND they are both women.

Actually, they're only the most well-known and prolific. There's also Taku Iwasaki(R.O.D., Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal), Tsuneo Imahori(Trigun, Gungrave), and Ko Otani(Haibane Renmei, Gundam Wing), just to name some people who's shows I've seen. I can also point to singularly great examples like Hitomi Kuroishi(Last Exile) and Kouji Ishii(Hellsing).

Incidentally, Kouji, why are you just voice acting and not making more awesome music? Crying or Very sad
wao

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
Yahoo. I don't play the game, neither will I ever, but I love Yoko Kanno and anything new out from her is always great. I don't think I've ever loved so many tracks on one OST before besides Arjuna's. And I mean love as in play again and again and again.

I prefer Kanno to Kajiura because while Kajiura has a distinct style that isn't necessarily good when it's because everything sounds *too* similar (which is my opinion). Kajiura's got good stuff - Akatsuki no Kuruma is fantastic and I love the Cosette theme song, but Kanno is much more varied and talented IN MY OPINION.

I swear they get compared so much because they're both YKs...

and as for other good musicians, Tsuneyoshi Saito's not too bad and neither is Naoki Sato... well maybe. Oh, but I absolutely love Hisaaki Hogari. The songs that he composes for Akino Arai and most of the Kokoro Library OST is absolutely amazing. Okay, enough offtopicness.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Took the words right out of my mouth. As soon as I saw this on the front page, I knew there would be a post from you about it. Razz

Anime smile + sweatdrop....
D'oh. Is my blatant fan status that obvious? ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Satou NHK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:17 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that the Gamespot news link neglected to mention Yoko Kanno's previous involvement in scoring a Sega Dreamcast game published in 2000 titled Napple Tale - Alisia in Daydream. It was a platform/RPG game that took place in a very colorful world with story and characters based on Alice in Wonderland.

I own a copy of the game and the soundtracks, and I can say Kanno definitely knows how to score a video game just as well as anime, T.V., or film. Maaya Sakamoto even sang the main theme song and provided the voice for the main protagonist. Every online review of the game I've found goes out of its way to mention how good the music is. These two links below have sound clips from every track on both CD's. Have a listen for yourself.

http://www.jameswong.com/ykproject/disc/disc.php?cd=nappletale01
http://www.jameswong.com/ykproject/disc/disc.php?cd=nappletale02

This link is to an older IGN review that's really good and has images and video clips of the game in motion.

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/164/164328p1.html
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
I don't see why this is going to a "CLASH OF THE TITANs" type of thread....This is about Yoko Kanno composing Ragnarok Online 2...

Well since she is composing it, it appears that I have another soundtrack to purchase.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Anime smile + sweatdrop....
D'oh. Is my blatant fan status that obvious? ^^;

No moreso then mine! Cool
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Hey, what else can be said, but...

Yuki Kajiura >>>> Yoko Kanno.

Whoa, what a surprise! Another bitter Kajiura fan! Laughing

Face it, Kanno's fanbase outside Japan has existed for more than a decade now, and she's definitely keeping it because of the dynamic nature of her music. And we're thanking her for introducing music we'd never thought we'd actually listen to.

But meh, why do a very commercial online game? :p
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Looks like I am not the only Kajiura fan here. I agree that her style is better than Kanno's.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
mike_s_6 wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Whoa, what a surprise! Another bitter Kajiura fan! Laughing

Face it, Kanno's fanbase outside Japan has existed for more than a decade now, and she's definitely keeping it because of the dynamic nature of her music. And we're thanking her for introducing music we'd never thought we'd actually listen to.

But meh, why do a very commercial online game? :p

Belive it or not, but symphonic music and jazz has existed long before she was even alive.
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
mike_s_6 wrote:

And we're thanking her for introducing music we'd never thought we'd actually listen to.

Belive it or not, but symphonic music and jazz has existed long before she was even alive.

Another surprise! A bitter Kajiura fan who can't even read! Laughing

And the biggest proof of this is the thread title itself!

Bitter: This kid's envious cause Kanno's doing something big and not her Kajiura.
Can't Read: This topic is about Kanno and RO. It's not "Kanno against Kajiura Thread Without the Need to be Rational" thread!

Last edited by mike_s_6 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Confused Did Kajiura invent a new style of music never heard before?!?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
but the thing I love about Yuki's music is it reminds me of .hack (even though it's repatitive I tend not to care) and I can tell right off the bat who it is, vs Yoko where I have NO idea.

This is called "having no range" versus "having range". Not being able to immediately tell who wrote a song - because it doesn't sound a lot like exactly what she wrote for .hack or Noir or Madlax or whatever - is talent, it's versatility. You're supposed to immediately tell who wrote a pop song, but not a film score. That you can't always pick out Kanno's work is because she uses so many different styles and does them all so well. It isn't the same harsh violin music or melodic piano thing again and again.

You don't hear James Horner or Howard Shore recording the same-sounding music over and over again for movies and those two are hired way more often than, say, John Williams or Danny Elfman, both of whom are largely considered very talented but limited with a particular sound. Music is supposed to blend into the film, not stand out for sounding so similar to other films.
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Variety is the spice of life, dudes. It's Kanno's secret to longevity.

Kajiura fans have argued that diversity is Kanno's only strength and her style does not stand out that much on individual OSTs. WRONG! Most Kanno fans just listened to ONE soundtrack and thought she was amazing. The diversity only comes as a surprise after.

The problem arises with the fans who want Kanno to make more of the "Escaflowne" or "Arjuna" or "Bebop" or "Ghost in the Shell" style. Even the Kanno fans don't like the same kind of music. I'm a rocker and it's really crazy in the Kanno boards. So many different kinds of people from all over the world!

Back to the topic, Ragnarok Online has myriad locations that would require different kinds and moods of music. With her diversity, Kanno will be able to make music that will fit Ragnarok into a T. And even if it's 90 songs, you probably will find the music distinct from each one.

Each Kanno song, like each location in an RPG, will be a different experience.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:28 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Confused Did Kajiura invent a new style of music never heard before?!?

I figured someone would say that. Maybe not. I just like the way she fuses it. Her strong haunting melodies, chants, etc. I will say that her style doesnt always fit the shows she scores. Madlax's soundtrack sounded really out of place, for instance.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:30 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:
but the thing I love about Yuki's music is it reminds me of .hack (even though it's repatitive I tend not to care) and I can tell right off the bat who it is, vs Yoko where I have NO idea.

This is called "having no range" versus "having range". Not being able to immediately tell who wrote a song - because it doesn't sound a lot like exactly what she wrote for .hack or Noir or Madlax or whatever - is talent, it's versatility. You're supposed to immediately tell who wrote a pop song, but not a film score. That you can't always pick out Kanno's work is because she uses so many different styles and does them all so well. It isn't the same harsh violin music or melodic piano thing again and again.

You don't hear James Horner or Howard Shore recording the same-sounding music over and over again for movies and those two are hired way more often than, say, John Williams or Danny Elfman, both of whom are largely considered very talented but limited with a particular sound. Music is supposed to blend into the film, not stand out for sounding so similar to other films.

It's called having a certain style. There's a difference. It's the same as any band that has a certain sound.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3