• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Adds New U.S. Shugo Chara!, Until the Full Moon Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
gilnokoibito wrote:
SaharaFrost wrote:
Correction: I believe Tokyopop also released Tokyo Mew Mew, not Del Rey. Am I wrong?

Tokyopop did release Tokyo Mew Mew. Says so right on the books. They even released a Spanish edition. I'm confused about that too. The article mentioned something about Tokyopop localizing Kodansha's stuff though...so maybe the article meant that Tokyopop published them until they lost their rights to Kodansha titles (Del Rey I believe was Kodansha's US branch...or something like that I think...correct me if I'm wrong!)
Del Rey manga is a branch of Del Rey Books, which is a sci-fi/fantasy imprint for Ballantine Books, which is owned by Random House. the Del Rey imprint name comes from the names of sci-fi writer Lester del Rey and his wife Judy-Lynn del Rey, who established the Del Rey imprint.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
I had a hunch that they'd pick up Shugo Chara-Chan. I'm so glad! Now if only they'd pick up Koko ni Iru Yo, Fukushima Haruka titles, Yokai Navi Luna (DelRey released only 2 volumes), and Shugo Chara! Encore!. I can't wait for Tokyo Mew Mew. I remember I tried reading it when I was in middle school and I remember the translations were just so horrible. But yeah, thank you Kodansha!

They already have Koko ni Iru Yo. Del Rey published the first volume as I am Here! last year and Kodansha will publish the second and final in July (they're doing a 2-volume omnibus as opposed to the 5 original volumes). And they already have Shugo Chara! Encore! as well. Encore was just released as the 12th volume of the manga in Japan, and Right Stuf has it up for preorder for September. :]

But I wholeheartedly agree to more Haruka Fukushima titles! (I know she gets bad reviews often, but I find myself sucked into her stories, kind of like a train wreck maybe?)

Sidenote, I'm pretty sure Tokyopop had Tokyo Mew Mew, not Del Rey.

Ah ok. Yeah I wasn't sure if they had gotten the rest of Koko ni and Encore. because I checked Mangaupdates and they didn't have them listed as being licensed. I shall change that! But yeah, Haruka's series are probably too cliche for most people, but I really enjoy her works for some reason.

Last edited by Redlinks on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Mew Mew, and it's sequel, Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode, were both released in the United States by Tokyopop, not Del Rey, nor is there any record that I can find of Del Rey ever having anything to do with Tokyo Mew Mew at all.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Forte-sama wrote:
Tokyo Mew Mew, and it's sequel, Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode, were both released in the United States by Tokyopop, not Del Rey, nor is there any record that I can find of Del Rey ever having anything to do with Tokyo Mew Mew at all.

I really don't know how people are getting confused that I said DelRey had the license to Tokyo Mew Mew... All I said was that I couldn't wait for the release and that the translations were horrible in the old releases. But I didn't say DelRey was the one who did the terrible translations. :/
Pelianth
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Forte-sama wrote:

I really don't know how people are getting confused that I said DelRey had the license to Tokyo Mew Mew... All I said was that I couldn't wait for the release and that the translations were horrible in the old releases. But I didn't say DelRey was the one who did the terrible translations. :/

Probably because the article states:

"Del Rey Manga released the Tokyo Mew Mew manga in North America until Kodansha took over the publication of its titles."

Which is incorrect.
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Ah ok. Yeah I wasn't sure if they had gotten the rest of Koko ni and Encore. because I checked Mangaupdates and they didn't have them listed as being licensed. I shall change that! But yeah, Haruka's series are probably too cliche for most people, but I really enjoy her works for some reason. And I'm pretty sure I didn't say that DelRey had the license to Tokyo Mew Mew...

I wasn't trying to imply you had said Del Rey had Tokyo Mew Mew, the article itself says that, which is incorrect, and I just put it in the same comment as when I was replying to you. Guess I didn't make that clear, sorry!
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Pelianth wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
Forte-sama wrote:

Probably because the article states:

"Del Rey Manga released the Tokyo Mew Mew manga in North America until Kodansha took over the publication of its titles."

Which is incorrect.

Well, glad I wasn't the one confusing people. ^^; Hopefully the writter of this topic will fix that.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
Ah ok. Yeah I wasn't sure if they had gotten the rest of Koko ni and Encore. because I checked Mangaupdates and they didn't have them listed as being licensed. I shall change that! But yeah, Haruka's series are probably too cliche for most people, but I really enjoy her works for some reason. And I'm pretty sure I didn't say that DelRey had the license to Tokyo Mew Mew...

I wasn't trying to imply you had said Del Rey had Tokyo Mew Mew, the article itself says that, which is incorrect, and I just put it in the same comment as when I was replying to you. Guess I didn't make that clear, sorry!

Ah, Sorry 'bout that! I'm dyslexic so I miss read things all the time. ^^;
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
According to the Kodansha website, both Love Hina and Tokyo Mew Mew will have a new translation. So Tokyo Mew Mew's a definate buy from me. As for my TokyoPop ones, I'll give them to my niece Very Happy.

[url]http://kodanshacomics.com[/url]
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Ah, Sorry 'bout that! I'm dyslexic so I miss read things all the time. ^^;

No, no, you're fine! I totally understand where the confusion came from, just wanted to clear things up. :]
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
I'll definately be picking up Love Hina since I missed it the first time around.

Not to go too far off topic, but I noticed on the Kodansha website that Negima! is getting a re-release of the first 3 volumes as an omnibus with a new translation in June. I thought Del Rey's release was very good, was there a problem with their earlier volumes, or the translations for the series in general I'm not aware of?
kill-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Not to go too far off topic, but I noticed on the Kodansha website that Negima! is getting a re-release of the first 3 volumes as an omnibus with a new translation in June. I thought Del Rey's release was very good, was there a problem with their earlier volumes, or the translations for the series in general I'm not aware of?

here

http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com/2007/04/negima-volume-1-del-rey-and-peter-david.html
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to @Full Moon. I loved Until the Full Moon and have been waiting for this to be translated and released.
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
kill-chan wrote:
that's fine and good but what about Ghost Hunt 12?
please! Sad
It's the last one!

If we get Ghost Hunt 12 -- and that's a big if, I fear -- I expect it'll be in the fall like all the later GH releases were.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. I really need to finish Shugo Chara! so I can pick up Chan. I never read Tokyo Mew Mew in its original U.S. incarnation, but I'll check it out now. I'll pick up the omnibus version of Love Hina too; I've seen the anime but never read the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3