• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation licenses Holic/Tsubasa movie, Tsubasa TV series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
*sigh* I guess we won't see any of the current CLAMP animes on Canadian TV, since YTV doesn't seem to want to work with FUNi for some reason.

Unless they can prove me wrong! Very Happy

Currently working on it!

This calls for an emoticon: m(_ _)m
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:39 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
Has the xxxHOLiC Movie even hit R2 DVD yet? Or even the Tsubasa movie?

Didn't the movie premiere just happen in Japan a month or two ago?! It probably hasn't made it to R2 DVD yet. If it has, it may have JUST come out. Funi's hopped on this quickly!
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Can it really be called "exclusive" when they sent the letter to the one fansub group stating they had those series, thereby letting the rest of us know as well? Anime smile

Yes it can, considering the announcement wasn't made anywhere else. The cease & desist was not a formal announcement, it was a cease & desist.

Not a formal announcement, but it sure announced to all of us that FUNi had those titles. So the exclusiveness of the formal announcement really comes down to a yawn and "old news." Razz

Still, I'm glad FUNi has these titles. Now if they'd score a few more on my list, I'd be set. Anime smile
mrploddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote
Now that the news is actually official eg in a magazine is there going to be any comment about

a) Is it all 3 seasons of Tsubasa or just Season 1

b) What about XXXHolic TV ?

Regards

mrploddy
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:

Back on topic, I wonder if Funimation plans to air Tsubasa on Adult Swim like they did with Fullmetal Alchemist? And similarly, who's directing the dub? Since that can be just as big a deal as who's doing the voices as far as quality goes. Mike McFarland has commented on his journal that he's working on Trinity Blood, so I'm guessing maybe not him...
I highly doubt that Tsubasa Chronicles will be aired on Adult Swim. Tsubasa Chronicles is a series which features crossovers of other popular Clamp characters and not just Sakura and Shaoran. Although the series works as a stand alone story even if you haven't seen or read those other Clamp works, the series does mean more to you if you have seen/read them, and I somehow doubt that most of Adult Swim's mainstream audience has seen anything from Clamp to care about these characters, aside from possibly Cardcaptors. And do you honestly think Tsubasa Chronicles is a very Adult Swimish show? Even though it may be a shounen anime, Tsubasa Chronicles still isn't as action-oriented as most of the other anime Adult Swim airs. It still pretty much focuses more on the characters and relationships that may be considered to be too "girly" for Adult Swim's male demographic. xxxHolic on the other hand, may have a chance of airing on Adult Swim, but Tsubasa Chronicles just doesn't really fit the block. I mean, what exactly about Tsubasa Chronicles is "adult"? Plus, it'd be too weird and kind of risky in my opinion, to see a series about Sakura and Shaoran on Adult Swim when there was just another one about Sakura and Shaoran airing on Saturday mornings on Kid's WB not too long ago.

As for this news announcement, I was kind of surprised and somewhat disappointed that Funimation of all people licensed Tsubasa Chronicles. Not because I have anything against Funimation or the licensing of this series, but because I think it's so random they licensed it. As I said earlier, Tsubasa Chronicles is an anime that features cameos of other popular Clamp characters, and since Funimation has never dubbed a Clamp anime before, it just seems odd that they licensed it. I was also kind of hoping Geneon would license it and dub it using the Bang Zoom voice artists from the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie dub. I really loved those voice artists a lot and would love to see them reprise their roles again. Plus, Geneon always did a fantastic job with other Clamp series like Cardcaptor Sakura, X TV, and Chobits, so they already know what Clamp fans expect from them. There's no doubt in my mind that Funimation will do an excellent job of releasing Tsubasa Chronicles;I'm not holding anything against them. I was just hoping somebody who's had experience with Clamp series would license Tsubasa Chronicles because they would be more familiar with what the Clamp fanbase wants, who can be exteremly picky about how their dubs are handled after the whole Cardcaptors fiasco.

I'm not saying that Funimation is going to screw up Tsubasa Chronicles or anything; I'm just saying it's surprising they licensed it. I guess everyone wants a piece of the Clamp pie because it seems like almost all of the major anime companies except for Bandai have the rights to at least one Clamp series. But even though I haven't seen many of Funimation's dubs to judge how well I like them, I did love their dub of Yu Yu Hakusho, so here's hoping that Tsubasa Chronicles also gets a good dub. Has there been any actual news yet that Tsubasa Chronicles is even being dubbed at all? So far all that's been announced has that it's been licensed, so there's still a possiblity that it could get a sub-only release like Cardcaptor Sakura. I wonder if they do dub it how will they handle Fai's nicknames for Kurogane. Also, since Funimation hasn't announced the license to the second season yet, are they going to allow fansubbers to sub the second season? Will they let fans sample the second season before licensing it? Will they license it as soon as the second season has been released on DVD? Or will they license it as soon as the second season has finished airing in Japan? And will they do any of the same things with the xxxHolic TV series, too?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
Lyrai wrote:
Has the xxxHOLiC Movie even hit R2 DVD yet? Or even the Tsubasa movie?

Didn't the movie premiere just happen in Japan a month or two ago?! It probably hasn't made it to R2 DVD yet. If it has, it may have JUST come out. Funi's hopped on this quickly!

The movies were both in theaters August. The R2 DVDs are out at the end of Feb.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Y'know I had a dream about this yesterday before this was announced. Because I believed I had heard about this license some time back but wasn't sure. Then I wake up today and read about it. Well, it's no surprise. It's CLAMP and it's been awhile since anyone else picked up any 'CLAMP' flicks. 'Geneon' did the 'CCS' TV series, movies and 'Chobits'. I guess it's time for someone else to deal with a long running series.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
(long rant)

Actually, it doesn't entirely surprise me Funimation grabbed Tsubasa once I thought about it for a moment, but that's just me seeing connections where there might be none.

Anyway, maybe Tsubasa wouldn't do well to air on Adult Swim, not because of the crossover content, but because it frankly probably would go over better with the same age group that watches Naruto and Inu Yasha. It's very episodic and has that distinctive shounen flair to it. But, I don't think the crossover content makes it impossible to air on tv- while knowing the other CLAMP stories certainly adds to the experience, yes, one can still be entertained without knowing any of that background. Especially the younger audiences, as it'd be more the older fans who know the other CLAMP series anyway.

And I question your claim that CLAMP fans would be so paranoid about the dub. "CardCaptors" is hardly the only CLAMP anime to have been dubbed, and it *is* the only one to be dubbed badly. Funimation has proved to be doing an excellent job in dubbing their recent series (such as Fullmetal Alchemist), so I really don't see people being so worried. Are you one of these paranoid CLAMP fans yourself, or are you just making assumptions? Oh, and Del Ray kept the random nicknames in the manga, so I suspect there's a chance Funimation might do the same in the anime.

As for licensing, technically companies don't have to "allow" fansubbers to do anything. Many companies do realize that fansubs can be valuable in judging the market and getting people interested in a series and thus might turn an occasional blind eye, but that doesn't nor has it ever made fansubbing in any way right or legal. And to your question about fansubs, I would ask, with other ongoing series like One Piece and Naruto, has licensing seriously affected fansubbing? Or what about Fullmetal Alchemist? Whether or not they're "allowed" to, there's going to be someone doing it anyway, is my prediction.

In any case, I think it's worth noting that the FMA dub started airing in the US less than a month after it ended in Japan. I would strongly suspect that if Funimation is planning to get Tsubasa on tv, there will be a good deal of overlap of dub episodes airing while it's still going in Japan, and they're probably intending on releasing the entire thing. Most companies nowadays don't seem to license only by season, at least from what I've seen.

jel123 wrote:
I disagree. Shinsen received an official notice and passed it along, as others have done. At the time I don't think there was any reason for them to believe that something "had been let slip".

"as others have done" doesn't make it right. Also, while they certainly could have stated the received the C&D, they did not need to post the whole letter, and/or they could have posted the text, but removed/censored the unannounced series. To do such would have been to show respect for the company and the industry as a whole, and if we're talking about the issue of whether fansubbers or the companies are worse, it'd definitely put them on higher standing on that particular issue.

Basically, I'm making the point that just because someone let slip some confidential information to you, doesn't mean you get license to broadcast that to the world.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kouji"]
ACDragonMaster wrote:

I was just hoping somebody who's had experience with Clamp series would license Tsubasa Chronicles because they would be more familiar with what the Clamp fanbase wants, who can be exteremly picky about how their dubs are handled after the whole Cardcaptors fiasco.

Are you implying that somehow dubbing Clamp series is different in any capacity from dubbing any other anime series?

Because it isn't.

I hope they get a new cast - the characters look alike and have the same names but the similarities end there. Really, these are new characters.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Kouji wrote:
(long rant)

And I question your claim that CLAMP fans would be so paranoid about the dub. "CardCaptors" is hardly the only CLAMP anime to have been dubbed, and it *is* the only one to be dubbed badly. Funimation has proved to be doing an excellent job in dubbing their recent series (such as Fullmetal Alchemist), so I really don't see people being so worried. Are you one of these paranoid CLAMP fans yourself, or are you just making assumptions? Oh, and Del Ray kept the random nicknames in the manga, so I suspect there's a chance Funimation might do the same in the anime.

You obiviously don't interact with Clamp fans very much, ACDragonMaster. I'm a member of a Tsubasa message board that I post regulary at and I can tell you that the people over there are very paranoid about how well Funimation is going to dub it, but then most of them are the type of people who still bash Funimation for "screwing up" Dragonball Z, so they're really worrying for nothing. I myself aren't really paranoid at all because I do believe Funimation will do a good job of it. I just simply think it would make more sense for a company who's already familiar with Clamp to handle a Clamp series. And yes, Zac, I do believe that dubbing Clamp series is different than dubbing other anime. Clamp is very popular among anime fans in the U.S. and the more popular an anime is, the more there are fans that hope that their favorite series will be handled with care. Would you prefer having a company like Disney who's done excellent jobs on dubbing Studio Ghibli films in the past to continue dubbing future Studio Ghibli films or would you rather have someone random who's never done any work on Studio Ghibli films at all? The more experience one has working with something, the more they usually get better at working with it over time, and people tend to naturally place more faith in somebody who's had more experience with something than somebody who hasn't had any experience in that something at all.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind that Funimation has licensed Tsubasa (one of the reasons is because personaly I prefer XXXholic anyway) But I'm interested to see what they will do with it. My only compaint with the people who wanted companies such as Bang Zoom and Geneon to do it is that you seem to say that they've done everything Clamp. ADV has done Angelic Layer and Central Park Media did Tokyo Babylon. Yes, they haven't been as popluar as say, Chobits or CCS, but there have been other companies who have dubbed Clamp animes before. Just because this one has characters from other shows doesn't mean you should over look this fact. Even though personaly I hated the second movies dub with a passion, I still remembered that it's not up to the fans on who has enough money to pay for the show. For some reason, maybe because I saw it when I was 12, but I still like the TV series dub better than the sub or any other dub of CCS (before you whine, yes I've seen the entire series subbed including both movies.) I'm not including the editing and deletion of eps, but for some reason I like the voices better than the original. I personaly wouldn't mind those people again but that's just me Embarassed But since I live in the D/FW area and have voice actor friends, I'm hoping those who have not been called in for a whole lot of stuff get the opportunity to do something in this show (including myself Anime hyper)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
I don't mind that FUNimation has Tsubasa or xxxHolic. I applaud FUNimation for licensing another long running title.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote
Oooh. I wonder who they'll pick as Sakura and Syaoran.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
THe XXX in XXXHolic is basically 'insert word here' rather than x-rated. Think of it as -holic, ???holic, *holic or whatever, the story deals a lot with addictions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge Clampholic, so I'm happy to see these series picked up. I hope that the VAs that have done Clamp characters in the past will return to do them, but that leaves another question-who will do Fai, Kurogan, Yuko, Watanuki, Domeki, and all of the other new characters?

Personally, I think Laura Bailey would make an amazing Yuko. Yes, the same lady who did Tohru in Fruba. However, I'm referring to her role as Lust in FMA(my fave series). I think it would be really good.

That's all I can think of for now. Any other suggestions?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3