• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dear Brother DVD Set 1 Release Reaches Crowdfunding Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iatheia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Fronzel: I imagine it was a crappy seller in Japan, due to its subject matter, and second banana status to Rose of Versailles.

I prefer this to Rose of Versailles, which I didn't buy, so I'm surprised to hear that.

And I'm not sure what you mean by its subject matter. I would be surprised if it were the yuri thing because it's not really all that gay, or at least as far as I've watched.

I'd be surprised to hear this wasn't popular since I can see a lot of it in series like Maria-sama ga Miteru which has pretty much the same starting premise, although it takes it in a much kinder, gentler, sillier direction.

I supported it because it is a series worth having in a collection as a classic, but, dammit, I am rather scrape my skin off with sandpaper than finish watching it. It is extremely uncomfortable in every single way. Not because of yuri (which is fairly mild, compared to more recent works, though that alone would not make a series popular, unfortunately), but because of substance abuse, bullying, suicide topics, creepy teachers posing as incestuous love interests among all the other things.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
This makes me very happy Very Happy
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
It is extremely uncomfortable in every single way ... because of substance abuse, bullying, suicide topics, creepy teachers posing as incestuous love interests among all the other things.

Yeah, its from 70's, y'know?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel:
Quote:
And I'm not sure what you mean by its subject matter. I would be surprised if it were the yuri thing because it's not really all that gay, or at least as far as I've watched.

What iatheia said. Though I ain't as unnerved about it.

Quote:
I'd be surprised to hear this wasn't popular since I can see a lot of it in series like Maria-sama ga Miteru which has pretty much the same starting premise, although it takes it in a much kinder, gentler, sillier direction.

Well, unlike Rose of Versailles, the Dear Brother anime came out long after the manga, so it probably had less of an impact in Japan.

agila: The manga's from the 70s. The anime's from the early 90s.

Also, I'll repeat that Black Jack only has under 26 days to be crowdfunded, while Yumi's got less than 11 days.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Bee & Puppycat made it today too! Good day for crowdfunding!

I'll probably pledge for Black Jack too (especially if I can also get set 1 tossed on there), but not right now, all our wallets are a bit drained from Dear Brother, Creamy Mami, and/or Bee & Puppycat.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
agila: The manga's from the 70s. The anime's from the early 90s.

Yeah, that's what I was saying, the story originates in the 70's.

Unless you are saying that the original story was the anime and then someone got into a time machine and brought it to the attention of the manga-ka in the 70's. In which case ... well, I dunno, but I still have the vague impression it was the normal way around, the anime based on the manga.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
No, what I'm saying is that people in the early 90s maybe had a different action to the material than people in the 70s.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I heard Dear Brother was banned in France and Italy after several episodes.

I hadn't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it got yanked or faced cancellation after a while, what with the spoiler[drugs, bullying (cutting up gym clothes and offering a box of razor blades), suicide-related stuff, and that in-class student exacto-knife slashing] scene.

To the person above who mentioned ordering this for students to watch; I don't know what age group you're talking, but you may want to check out the spoiler above if you don't already know.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:58 am Reply with quote
vanfanel: I imagine a generation of kids having to fear school shootings would find Dear Brother to be mild.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I heard Dear Brother was banned in France and Italy after several episodes.

You heard wrong. While it's true that Dear Brother was taken off the air in France, hey they took off the air even Hokuto no Ken in the early ninties Rolling Eyes (while converting the original script into a commedy) no such problems occured in Italy.
In Italy the whole series was dubbed faithfully, broadcast without any censoring on tv and then released on dvd many years ago.

Dear Brother is a real good series, greater than life drama but never really really dark; seriously Madoka Magica is much more disturbing than Dear Brother will ever be. It's just so over the top that it enters into "unrealistic" territory. But hey, that's why it's such a pleasure to watch. Laughing

Think of Dear Brother as a Candy Candy on steroids, or Nobody boy's Remi on steroids. You really cannot take it seriously as others in this thread are doing. Razz
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I was sluggish and only put in my money just now. I kind of wanted to try to be the pledge that put it over the top for fun, but I missed it Razz .

I'm a little curious why Dear Brother is asking several thousand less than any other series they've tried.

Perhaps there's less value-added content available? Additionally, since it's already streaming at Viki and Hulu, they likely were able to work out a deal to use the existing subtitle script rather than having to start from scratch. That'd likely cut out a pretty significant cost. Plus less encoding work to have to do on the streaming side, etc. It's also possible they got a very good deal on the licensing costs if it wasn't a big seller in Japan in its time.

The one thing that's too about Dear Brother is that there isn't enough merchandise available to have the better, higher pledge levels like Creamy Mami has. I only pledged at the $30 level (although I was prepared to go up another if it was waiting until the last second to fund) because there wasn't much enticing in the higher levels aside from providing support. Since I also contributed to Creamy Mami, the Fantagraphics Kickstarter, City of Titans Kickstarter, and will be contributing to Pastel Yumi and Black Jack, I couldn't justify going up higher unless I needed to to get it to fund.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Mylene: How do you merchandise a show like that in the first place? Toy drug paraphernalia? Laughing
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mylene: How do you merchandise a show like that in the first place? Toy drug paraphernalia? Laughing

Dolls, lots of dolls. Laughing
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

My husband and I had that particular discussion/laugh on the drive into work this morning. Nothing says, "I love my daughter" like giving her a doll of a pill-popping, androgynous character who varies wildly in her actions!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that Yumi's only got about 8 days and $13,000 left to reach its goal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3