• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers A Certain Magical Index II & Movie on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan297na

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
ahh, didn't hear about that. Did funi fix the issue with a recall?

Edit: Nevermind. Got my answer. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-02/funimation-recalls-sankanrea-blu-ray/dvd-box
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
whatever you do, just don't buy the DVDs
if you keep buying DVDs, they will keep selling DVDs
this show is very popular in japan compared to elsewhere
so it may be awhile before we get what we want
I remember something about a press release where funimation said it would not be a good investment to release the first season and railgun on blu-ray so i don't see why they would suddenly change their mind with the second season.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
I know why they lock the subs but it doesn't make it any less irritating. It's a minor issue since I'm not learning Japanese anymore, but it's annoying to not be able to use one of the most basic functions of a DVD/BD.

Going along with that I also understand that the reason that some companies won't release the BDs of certain shows over here is because of reverse importation.

I'm sure that there's some reason that Japan keeps selling individual volumes with sometimes one episode for $50-100 a piece. And don't say otaku, because I'm sure that if stuff was cheaper they'd buy even more of it.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
About time they get it but why didn't they pick up Strike Witches movie to

Maybe Strike Witches didn't perform well?

They are putting out their S.A.V.E boxes for both seasons of that series now.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
this show is very popular in japan compared to elsewhere
so it may be awhile before we get what we want

I want DVDs, so I'll buy DVDs. The fandom is diverse and we don't all want the same thing.

I prefer my anime to be dubbed too... Shocked

Hellwarden wrote:
Maybe Strike Witches didn't perform well?

If I remember correctly, it sold very well for Funimation.

Hellwarden wrote:
They are putting out their S.A.V.E boxes for both seasons of that series now.

They've had that series for a long time too. After several years it's probably at the end of it's product life cycle.

Last edited by Jedi Master on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

I just really hope we see the second season and the movie on BD. Hope all the Index-tan/specials are included with these releases. They didn't for the first seasons of this and Railgun.
They didn't even include the full-length Railgun OVA episode from the first season -- you really think they'll bother with the shorts?

dan297na wrote:
I hope they go with bluray, because I am done buying DVDs for modern series.
Yes, it's such a huge loss when a 540p JC Staff series goes down a whole 60 horizontal pixels to DVD resolution.

potatochobit wrote:
Or they'll just assume nobody cares enough about the series to buy it, or that people would rather watch it via streams (legal and otherwise) or downloads.

ZodiacBeast wrote:
Great, ANOTHER series licensed by Funimation that'll have messed up video/locked subs/be the edited version/be DVD only. I wish another company had licensed Index/Railgun, Sankarea, Hataraku Maou-sama and Binbougami ga.
I'll probably still get this out of affection for the franchise, and because I've already got Index I & Railgun on DVD -- a medium I'm okay with. But I do share the sense of fatigue over releases from Funi, Sentai and others suffering from lazy/error-ridden subs, incompleteness and missing episodes/extras, TV versions instead of disc versions, video quality intentionally-sabotaged by the Japanese side, borked/squished opening/ending video, and subtitle-script-readthrough dubbing. At least by sticking to DVD, I do get to avoid locked subs and dub-only releases.

What were the issues with Funi's Maou-sama and Binbougami, though?

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
Binbougami had the locked subs as well as messed up video in the openings and endings. I avoided purchasing Binbougami because I read about it on Amazon, so you could check there and read about it if you're interested.

I just assumed that Maou-sama would suffer the same problems. I believe it's set to come out next Summer. ANN had an article saying that Funi had acquired the rights to it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
It should also be understood that Index and Railgun were license carry overs from the Geneon USA closure caused by many issues and the Geneon-Universal merger in Japan. The only reason it took so long for us to get them was due to that merger - hence why extras and such that did not exist when the license was originally made with Geneon USA were not included with FUNi's release. Considering how long FUNi was forced to wait due to the merger, it's not surprising that they just released the first seasons on DVD-only without the specials.

Also, when it comes to Railgun I and Index I+II, I really don't think BD is a worthwhile investment for FUNi - the series were animated far below 720p and the BDs for those seasons were subpar upscales anyways (Similar to Shana I+II BD releases, a series also animated by JC Staff around the same time).

Railgun S and the Index movie are far different stories however - both of those were actually animated closer to 720p and look fantastic compared to the first installments. I mean, if we did get the BDs at first it would be cool, but the BDs for Railgun I and Index I+2 are not worth replacing your DVDs for.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
It should also be understood that Index and Railgun were license carry overs from the Geneon USA closure caused by many issues and the Geneon-Universal merger in Japan. The only reason it took so long for us to get them was due to that merger - hence why extras and such that did not exist when the license was originally made with Geneon USA were not included with FUNi's release. Considering how long FUNi was forced to wait due to the merger, it's not surprising that they just released the first seasons on DVD-only without the specials.

Also, when it comes to Railgun I and Index I+II, I really don't think BD is a worthwhile investment for FUNi - the series were animated far below 720p and the BDs for those seasons were subpar upscales anyways (Similar to Shana I+II BD releases, a series also animated by JC Staff around the same time).

Railgun S and the Index movie are far different stories however - both of those were actually animated closer to 720p and look fantastic compared to the first installments. I mean, if we did get the BDs at first it would be cool, but the BDs for Railgun I and Index I+2 are not worth replacing your DVDs for.

I believe you actually just sold me on getting the season 1 Index/Railgun DVDs. I guess I always used to assume that BD = better/higher quality but as you pointed out that's not always the case. Unfortunately no Shana II DVD was released so I had to go with BD. Nowadays I always read up on releases after they come to get some idea of the quality before I buy it. Wait, that makes me sound slightly snobbish. Oh well.

I do hope that Railgun S and the Index movie are released on BD since they were of higher quality. And maybe (if people cry out enough) they'll do something similar to Girls und Panzer and release a separate OVA package?
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I'll end up buying this, but it will go next to my Index S1 and Railgun disks while I watch the superior fansubs I downloaded.

Sorry Funimation, you've done me wrong. I still pay you, but seriously, you need to do a replacement on Railgun (Sissy is unforgivable) and need to release Index on BD.

Gods, even remembering "sissy" just caused me to throw up a little. Its even worse than "Duck" in Tutu.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Prepare thyselves for a DVD-only release.

Well, as others have said, considering Railgun I and Index 1+2's BDs were just sub-par upscales, and considering the relative cost between licensing the BDs or just the DVDs, if I were FUNimation I would only release DVDs for these (unless of course the extra BD rights were super cheap).

Especially considering the amount of negative feedback they received during their original ventures on BD (ie, upscales around '05/'06), I don't see why they'd waste money on such a venture.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
FlamingFirewire wrote:

I believe you actually just sold me on getting the season 1 Index/Railgun DVDs. I guess I always used to assume that BD = better/higher quality but as you pointed out that's not always the case. Unfortunately no Shana II DVD was released so I had to go with BD. Nowadays I always read up on releases after they come to get some idea of the quality before I buy it. Wait, that makes me sound slightly snobbish. Oh well.

I do hope that Railgun S and the Index movie are released on BD since they were of higher quality. And maybe (if people cry out enough) they'll do something similar to Girls und Panzer and release a separate OVA package?

Ya, every now and then I have to remind myself of that too.

Didn't all the seasons of Shana come with their DVD counterparts?

About waiting to see what the quality of the release is, I thought that what was most of us did Smile

I'm hoping they do an OVA collection too - if they can't manage to somehow include them with the coming movie and Index II that is.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
*looks at Shana II set*

Heh, oops, I had forgotten about that. I'm almost finished watching already so I'll just stick with the BD for now. If I ever go back and watch it I'll use the DVDs.

I kept my original Shana DVD box set because I heard the BD box for that was an upscale. Dunno why I didn't care that 2 was an upscale as well, guess I read that it came with the DVD. It's been a while.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Its even worse than "Duck" in Tutu.

All according to Ahiru.

Translator's note: "Ahiru" means "Duck".
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
majutsu season 2 is not an upscale
I do not know why you are saying this
it aired in 2010 and 2011

shana season 2 was done in wide screen but aired in 2007/2008
that might be questionable resolution quality

however, you seem to be implying that watching a video in a little 480p box is the only compromise
you are forgetting that DVDs have craptastic interlacing
if I took a crayola marker and scribbled on you face, would that be ok?

so why would you shrink a video, de-face it with interlacing lines (which any modern TV has no need for even using interlacing) and then claim the quality is 'almost' the same

it is not the same and majutsu 2 on DVD would absolutely be an inferior product
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5