• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Wind Rises U.S. TV Spots Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
suprememoonempress wrote:
I think it's amazing that they don't have any of their disney teen stars doing some cheesy voices

Really?

Considering this is supposedly Miyazaki's final feature-length film, most of the cast consists of adults, and the main character himself wanted to make planes for kamikaze attacks in WW2, you honestly expected teen Disney channel stars to be cast anyway?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
How wide will the wide release be, 700 theaters? Maybe 1,200? Hopefully it comes by one of my stadium seating theaters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Well, some co-workers and I plan to see it at one of the theaters playing around the city. Of course I don't understand why everyone is puzzled about the one week screening. Isn't that usually how it works? Most screenings at some festivals are a one day engagement. A week is probably enough for something like this. I wonder how long Mononoke was in the theater when it was released nationwide?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=princessmononoke.htm

Hypeathon wrote:

I think it's amazing that they don't have any of their disney teen stars doing some cheesy voices

Really?

Considering this is supposedly Miyazaki's final feature-length film, most of the cast consists of adults, and the main character himself wanted to make planes for kamikaze attacks in WW2, you honestly expected teen Disney channel stars to be cast anyway?

This film also bored many Japanese youth, so there's no sense catering other youth.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I remember Princess Mononoke stuck around in theatres for a few weeks in Montreal in the autumn of 1999, but it was distributed by Alliance Atlantis in Canada and not Disney.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Well be grateful they didn't even consider it if possible.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
@StudioToledo,

You may be right about that. We had a discussion that considering this film is not like 'Up from Poppy Hill', and is more adult oriented. So it may not appeal to everyone. So they figure try it for a week and see how it goes. But that's just one theory they have. Up From Poppy Hill was screened here in NYC so many times as part of the NYICFF and at regular screenings. There was no way you could have missed a chance at seeing it.

@enurtsol, thanks for the info. And on the note of the film Japanese youth. Now you realized why Miyazaki is an OS grump. Can't blame him. He's not the first that feels this way.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I got goosebumps just watching the commercials! I certainly hope it gets released around here! Can't wait to see it, even if it does mean buying it on DVD, I have to see it!
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
@StudioToledo,

You may be right about that. We had a discussion that considering this film is not like 'Up from Poppy Hill', and is more adult oriented. So it may not appeal to everyone. So they figure try it for a week and see how it goes. But that's just one theory they have.

No doubt playing it safe.

Quote:
Up From Poppy Hill was screened here in NYC so many times as part of the NYICFF and at regular screenings. There was no way you could have missed a chance at seeing it.

Plus it's New York. You can find things easily there I bet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I brought this up in a prior thread, but if you're in L.A., don't forget that Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves will be playing at the Egyptian Theater this month.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I brought this up in a prior thread, but if you're in L.A., don't forget that Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves will be playing at the Egyptian Theater this month.

That's nice to hear, though for "Ocean Waves" I haven't heard good things about it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Toledo: Well, if you want to see it once legally without paying import fees, this is your chance.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
^ Ocean Waves is available on DVD in Australia:

http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/13704/ocean-waves

A pity that it misses out on the extras that were in a Japanese release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2