• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Tendered Mercies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting rant about those minions that make you feel guilty and remind us that our main protagonist is probably a mass murderer of sorts.

I gotta confess that whenever a game gives me the chance to choose between good or bad, 95% of the times I cannot choose the latter. It's just uncomfortable. It's not like I wanna play the hero all the time, on the contrary, I welcome games that put you in difficult situations and grey areas, but when it's clear like the light of the day that A is being nice to others and B is being mean as hell for the sake of it, there's just no way I pick the evil one. And I feel slightly stupid for it cause I'm perfectly capable of distinguish fiction from reality, but it just feels awkward to me. So yeah, it was nice to read something as naive as the gunstar heroes' minion bit (GREAT game btw).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
People who aren't newbs choose the Horde in Warcraft. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar has the player achieve different virtues based on actions and decisions of ethical dilemma. Zero doesn't need to kill everyone in Drakengard 3, though it won't fill her special blood gauge; besides in the world she lives in, they're all dicks.

Meanwhile, as the PS Vita in the West become like PC gaming became in Japan for otaku of nothing but VNs and eroge, it'll give us time to practice our maracas. Laughing
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
After a bit of thinking and reading more Drakengard 3 reviews, I can appreciate how it speaks about violence in video games and the creator's feelings on the issue. I would recommend checking out Aevee Bee's review as well as Todd's.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Aside from all the nifty gaming news, those Drakengard 3 entries made me laugh (except for the one with Two; it's so wacked out and creepy, it *should* be canon!). Can't wait for next week's entries! Very Happy
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved the discussion in this one, Todd. Anime smile I like having the choice of killing an enemy or not, even if I am in some way punished for not doing so. Games that give me the option often have me playing them longer.

Zac wrote:
I'm grateful when people point out typos. They're easy to fix, and I don't - can't - catch them all. So thank you. But please be aware of what the typical situation at every online publication is before getting too judgmental about missing small mistakes.

Also loving this, Zac. I work as a copy editor for a website and our fanbase is vocal about pointing out even the most insignificant typos (often with the unnecessary "Didn't this get edited?" snark added). I want to save the permanent url for your post and just point people at it forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2