• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Cameos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't come up with five choices. I made three, two of which were really unsalvageable disasters (Pilot's Love Song and Bladedance of Elementalers) and one that held some promise, but whose ending was nothing but two huge flipped birdies.

I could probably have made some more had I seen Pupa, for instance, but I'm not going to go watch that just so that I can make another selection. (Even for reasons of "not wanting to rate shows I haven't seen".) I guess I could have given two more abritrary ratings if I felt like it -- lord knows the list was full of mediocre nonsense as well -- but the poll asked for "worst anime ever", so that's what I selected.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was fully expecting to see Gintama in the top spot, if only for its crossovers with Sket Dance, since that perfectly fits the cameo theme rather than simply references. Unless a direct cross-over is considered more than a mere cameo. Even so, there were meta references to Gintoki and Switch sharing the same seiyuu. Smile

I was a bit surprised there was no mention of Isaac and Miria's cameos in the Durarara!! spot, and I could swear they made an appearance in another anime, but I can't recall what it was now.

And here's an honorary award to all the cross-pollination among Clamp works where their characters series-hop like bunnies.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Man... I hope they bring in Laura Bailey when Viz gets to that scene Sailor Moon S... I'ts one of my favorite scenes in all of Sailor Moon...
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
It seems we are all forgetting Hatsune Miku cameoing in one of the Sayounara Zetsubou Sensei series. I can't remember which season, though...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
madhouse? really?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I think most people share my distaste for Glasslip. Pretty much nothing happens, and not in a good way like a lot of slice of life shows. Nothing really amounts to anything at any given moment, which leads to a weak conclusion. It's probably one of the worst anime I've ever watched.

*sigh* And that was one series I had been looking forward to. It also made my list for the 5 worst anime of 2014 (that I watched).

Though, I've seen worse series than Glasslip. Nobugana the Fool, M3, and Samurai Flamenco are a few recent ones. No idea why I finished watching these anime, Nobugana and Flamenco did make good starts...M3 had a set up that interested me, but it was filled with unlikeable characters.

My 5 worst for 2014 are:
Broken Blade
Glasslip
M3 The Dark Metal
Magical Warfare
Nobugana the Fool

'Honourable' mentions: Magimoji Rurumo, World Trigger, Wizard Barristers, Hamatora

There are some others that might've made my top 5. But, they were series that I enjoyed the majority of it, like Bryhildr in the Darkness (great 9 episodes) and Nanana's Buried Treasure.

Some others that could've made my top 5 were series where I only got a few episodes in and found that there was nothing in it that had me wanting to watch more, like Shirobako, Tokyo Ghoul, and Yuki Yuna is a Hero.

I can't really put series where I enjoyed most of it's run or I didn't watch it all the way through on my list. Laughing
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
The lack of Gintama is disturbing. It even had a strange mix between Will Smith and Obama

Katsura: "Yes We Can" Laughing
Gintama is the king of cameos, crossovers, and shout-outs; they even got Tohru Furuya (aka Amuro Ray) to voice spoiler[Elizabeth] in a huge Gundam parody!

I also voted Pupa to be the worst (glacial pacing and forced cheap sympathy for the twisted siblings) but the other shows I chose were Wizard Barristers (strong first episode but it got boring real soon), Amagi Brilliant Park (only one or two funny scenes for me), and DRAMAtical Murder (hilariously bad art and suffers from the "main protagonist chooses no one in the end" problem that some VN adaptations suffer from. Woulf have added Glasslip but I stopped in the middle of ep 1.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I think most people share my distaste for Glasslip. Pretty much nothing happens, and not in a good way like a lot of slice of life shows. Nothing really amounts to anything at any given moment, which leads to a weak conclusion. It's probably one of the worst anime I've ever watched.

I really wanted to like Glasslip, and after coming off of Nagi no Asakura, I was excited for another PA Works original show. Glasslip had everything I like about anime, without any amount of storytelling to back it up.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
madhouse? really?

Still a better pick than Ufotable as that one's on the list for two reasons {It's not Ninja Nonsense, right?}; Even going through their credits, Ufotable more an secondary, finishing company than a main production company.

For the record, I picked Kyoto Animation based on my love for Nichijou, their greatest "failure". I don't own it myself but I do have their Key adaptations, their Suzumiya collections and movie plus both K-On seasons and movie on a treasured spot on my shelf {I got rid of Lucky Star though I'll probably replace it with Funimation's set}. And I plan on adding Sentai's three latest Kyoto offerings once they get to reasonably priced Blu-ray.

Cameos, that's a tricky subject; A lot of this List are what I'd consider more shot outs and references than full cameos. But Ayu, Nayuki and Makoto from Kanon appearing fully voiced by their original actors in Air the TV, now that's a cameo. It's a crazy idea, hiring three notable voice actresses simply for a line each. Of course, this led to Kanon 2006 but that wasn't what they were trying to do.

Bottom five for 2014? I still haven't done a top 5. Glasslip, Magical Warfare, If her Flag Breaks, the Irregular at Magic High School, and Dragonar Academy. These fail at trying to do what they set out to do {though I did get a lot of entertainment reading posts from that one guy defending Irregular; Not a good sign of a decent adaptation}.

Also rans include AD0 and Nanana's Buried Treasure... or is AD0 as bad as its similar themed Irregular? AD0 is so bad, it combined the sister, teacher and combat rookie character all in the same incompetent body {Yes, there is a reason why military trainers don't actively participate in live combat} but even if it has the same "perfect but soulless" male lead, at least it didn't have the "not quite siblings, not quite a relationship" aspect or arbitrary... and literal... "class structure". Nanana had great production values and two great lead characters... let down by the titled lead character and a stupid premise that didn't go anywhere. If it was the Tensei show, it'd be one of my top five.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
One cameo I liked was in Kannagi, the karaoke episode, when Jin walks on a room of the Lucky Star characters.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
But aren't most of these references/parodies instead of cameos? Because if that's the case this list is missing

Season 1 Hayate
Gintama
Sayounara Zetsubou Sensei
Sket Dance
BoBoBo

Which all based like a full quarter of their time and humor to references and parodies. Even more so than some of the series on this list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
7. Monogatari Series

Can someone validate my memory on this -- but did they do a cameo of some South Park character at some point?

And I think the most recent season did Lucy from Charlie Brown.
Quote:
2. Lucky Star: The girls spend two different episodes among cosplayers dressed up as some of the most popular characters of the time. One is a cafe where Konata works and cosplays as Haruhi Suzumiya along with her coworkers who are dressed as Mikuru and Yuki.

For some reason this feels like it shouldn't even count. I can't put it into precise words, but it seemed too integral to the story/joke to be considered a cameo.

Also, somebody should mention Watanuki's role in Blood-C. Possibly the best part of that whole anime.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Build fighters would defiantly been my number one. But I'd also would have included Watemote.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Sket Dance and Gintama are great for cameos and references and some of my favorite series. They even cross-overed with each other, and they even poked fun at their own crossover a lot. Gintoki bragging about airing their crossover episode first on Monday so they get to steal all of Sket Dacne's thunder, Kagura pointing out Gintoki is acting out of character even though he didn't act that way in their part of the crossover, how Switch and Gintoki have the same voice actor, Bossun worried Gintama is going to take back their timeslot since Sket Dance aired during Gintama's old time slot. They even reference the One Piece and Toriko crossover with Bossun saying he'd rather the crossover been like something like that one instead of the one they did, then they start ragging on other Jump titles and talking about them. Then of course the series themselves have plenty of cameos and references all the time, with sometimes the characters worried they'll get sued or in trouble with the network

-Stuart Smith
michaelarroyo01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
I don't want to start a fight, but many of these aren't really cameos. They're references. Also, why mention all those Baccano references in Durarara but not the actual cameo by Issac and Miriam?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5