• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Ever Happened to Manga Entertainment? (PART TWO: UK Edition)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I wonder if this means it's actually been Jerome or Andrew ghost-writing the promotional facebook posts in recent months, or if that was left to some nameless behind-the-scenes person? The move from personality-based interactions with the fanbase to generic posts was a worrying sign.

It is probably someone at Fetch. There's even been some interaction between them and Jerome's personal account (I think something about changing the password...)

Quote:
Jeremy not joining them at Animatsu also seemed a little surprising as the three of them appeared to have a good rapport. Hopefully him going to Anime Limited was the result of convenience and not personal issues.

Well it's not convenience since it involved a move to Glasgow. I don't believe he was actually based in the Manga offices, and I understand he was employed by Fetch rather than Manga directly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
And so RightStuf took note and have a Manga Entertainment sale
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He sees a future where in order to grow beyond core anime fans, Japanese and Western companies will have to come together to find stories that production teams in both countries can be excited about.

This is just prime bait material for "moe is killing the industry" debate #694731 (and a couple of posts have already steered it to that direction). Producers and writers should just do whatever the hell they want without giving a hoot to "globalizing" their works. You might say they're being tied down by otakus, but that's not really the case and is simple defeatist thinking. If they're really that bogged because of the market, then they could just simply leave and try to be the next Kon, Yuasa or whatever hipster director they secretly aspire to be.

Also, Dandy wasn't that great, but this is coming from someone who cringes at complete aping of US pop culture in anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

This is just prime bait material for "moe is killing the industry" debate #694731 (and a couple of posts have already steered it to that direction). Producers and writers should just do whatever the hell they want without giving a hoot to "globalizing" their works. You might say they're being tied down by otakus, but that's not really the case and is simple defeatist thinking. If they're really that bogged because of the market, then they could just simply leave and try to be the next Kon, Yuasa or whatever hipster director they secretly aspire to be.
Someone's on the defense. Wink
One can "do whatever the hell they want" only when one doesn't want, or need is a life supporting income, and/ or gets a budget carte blanc. Wink
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Someone's on the defense. Wink
One can "do whatever the hell they want" only when one doesn't want, or need is a life supporting income, and/ or gets a budget carte blanc. Wink

It's usually the old fogey directors who suffer from those woes and I believe most of them have the pension to act out their "creativity" if they so choose, but they don't because of the "moe" bogeyman. Please, this isn't the mid aughts anymore. We've gone past that and there is something for everyone if you actually care to look past book covers.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

It's usually the old fogey directors who suffer from those woes and I believe most of them have the pension to act out their "creativity" if they so choose, but they don't because of the "moe" bogeyman. Please, this isn't the mid aughts anymore. We've gone past that and there is something for everyone if you actually care to look past book covers.
Would you mind giving a few title examples that we might have missed please? I don't think moe is an issue with those "old fogey directors", and that's just the point. I'm sure if they wanted to they could pump out a few of the usual otaku best sellers no problem, but they don't have to, or want to. They know if they did then that's just adding to an assembly line production for an already over saturated market. They see the young talent stuck in the corporate merry-go-round of only-make-what sells-merchandise. That's the lament.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2