• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Were Some Animation Techniques Banned?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps this may explain why, on rare moments, the screen is shadowed whenever Pikachu uses any of his Electric-type moves...
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Triltaison wrote:
That's also why we now get our beloved "Don't sit too close to the TV, folks!" warning as well.

Nah. We were being told not to sit too close to the TV back in the late 60's/early 70's.

I believe they're referring to anime giving the viewers this advice.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
That's also why we now get our beloved "Don't sit too close to the TV, folks!" warning as well.

I have not noticed that on a US DVD recently.
Have they stopped doing it in Japan? Or have the US publishers just decided not to include it.
Most of them were rather repetitive, and boring, but some were very interesting and funny and different for each episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Triltaison wrote:

I have not noticed that on a US DVD recently.
Have they stopped doing it in Japan? Or have the US publishers just decided not to include it.
Most of them were rather repetitive, and boring, but some were very interesting and funny and different for each episode.

Most series just have that warning as on-screen text during broadcast. Unless it's something special like Fairy Tail, retail DVDs/BDs on either side of the pond won't include them.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Is it true that they showed the clip during a news report of the incident causing more cases?
I believe there are also doubt about the actual number of cases due to kids being kids and wanting time off school or just wanting to be part of the latest cool thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
I've also seen more recent animation where the screen will get noticeably darker during a hectic action scene. I've heard that this is related to these regulations. (I'm trying to remember specific examples, but the only thing that comes to mind is some of the ufotable Fate stuff.)

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mitigate (since the problem isn't bright lights but flashing colors), but I find it really odd. I think My Hero Academia dims the screen as well during the opening, but I don't see any flashing lights there, so who knows what's up with that. The end shot is back to being bright again, though. Weird.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
...I didn't suffer seizures in the Porygon Episode...
MarshalBanana wrote:
...I saw that episode a number of years ago, kept it windowed instead of full screen, still had a bit of a headache but apart from that was fine...
Because of the "panic", the original episode was altered after the airing so the versions that played on TV in the US and elsewhere as well as on DVD were the altered versions so no one should have had a problem. Actually, this effect known as Photo-Sensitive Epilepsy is well known, having been discovered in the early '60's among epileptic patients and was featured in Michael Crighton's "Andromeda Strain" novel and movie of the same name. Unfortunately the susceptibility of people in the population not diagnosed with epilepsy has been hard to discover and document save for some very public incidents such as this. I feel a little cheated by this article as I was hoping to learn some "forbidden Anime-no-Jitzu" Confused
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tripes, whirls and concentric circles

What the hell are tripes?

I'm surprised the OP of Kiznaiver hasn't caused some problems. I have to skip over it because it gives me a headache and makes me dizzy. Definitely chock full of concentric (open) circles, whirls and flashing lights.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What the hell are tripes?

Edible stomach linings! Popular in many cuisines, less so in others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Well, that's all I've ever known it to mean. Are they talking about the honeycomb pattern? oO
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Because of the "panic", the original episode was altered after the airing so the versions that played on TV in the US and elsewhere as well as on DVD were the altered versions so no one should have had a problem.
Wasn't it only broadcast once in japan and never never shown again? I heard that 4Kids tried editing the episode to make it safe, but I assume that they scrapped it, I mean I've never heard anything about it being aired or released on home media anywhere else in the world, and they've dubbed that episode into any other languages.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah it was definitely a combination of things that caused this incident to happen since strobe effects have been used before in Anime and nothing bad came out of it, also if this happened to any show smaller than Pokémon it would have been pulled off the air permanently. Confused
MrBonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
THE WORST part of this, was that this has extended into Nintendo's games.
Tons of VC versions of games(Wii/3DS/Wii U) have been artificially darkened so much that games look terrible. The VC GB Pokemon games were altered to change animations/flashing too as well as darkened to the point where pure white is now medium grey. In Earthbound they added a motion blur effect on top of it for certain animations.

Recently the Wii U VC games were cracked and people discovered that there are config files for each game. Where they have the brightness/gamma fucked up.

Why can't they just give us the god damned option??

All out of fear of seizures that have a myopic chance of happening to a tiny subset of people. I recently watched the 2nd Oishinbo TV Special - America Vs Japan Rice War and it has some really interesting views/points on how the Japanese want to avoid trouble as much as possible. Even if it means losing integrity and other junk. Should watch it, it's pretty good.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Or have the US publishers just decided not to include it.

I haven't seen those warnings for some time, even in the occasional show that I watch from torrents. Fansubbers routinely included them back in the day along with the advertising billboard that usually preceded each episode like this:

(from Genji Monogatari Sennenki)
checarlos87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
As for specific DBZ episodes that might have to be retooled, go watch the episode-long Kamehameha duel between Gohan and Cell. I rewatched it a few months back on FUNimation and there were segments where I was afraid to stare at the full screen for more than a few seconds straight. Long segments of the episode feature Gohan, Goku, and Cell talking around while the two colliding Kamehamehas strobe continuously. Even worse, in the storyboards featuring Gohan looking in the direction of the fourth wall, there are two strobing effects on screen at once: the outer strobing effect from the Kamehameha collision and an even more aggressive strobing effect right on Gohan's hand to represent the source of his Kamahameha.

I haven't watched the Kai version, but I imagine that episode is the number one candidate to be retooled.

The flashback scenes with the destruction of Planet Vegeta by Frieza's high-contrast red ball of doom also come to mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3