• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 91 Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm having a hard time getting invested in Angelo's revenge quest when he's so difficult to read. Did killing Vanno actually satisfy him? Did he feel remorse when he saw Nero cry? Does he actually feel anything at all? If he does, he's sure doing a fine job at hiding it...he's probably supposed to appear "cool", but so far this only resulted in leaving me cold.

As things are now, i'm a lot more interested in Nero because he does have emotions at the very least. And Fango continues to be crazy fun! Laughing
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving this show so far! Definitely one of the better ones of the year.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Am not so high up on the animation.It's passable for the most part,but then you have scenes like when Fango's CG car is going down the street with none of the crowds being animated at all,which really takes you out of the show. Vanno's funeral lacked any sort of emotional punch to it,due to not knowing a thing about him as a character,so that fell felt. I get what their going for with Fango,but he's so OTT for this type story.They could've grounded him a bit and made like James Cagney in The Public Enemy. Visually he also takes me out of the show (wtf is with the outfit?).

Complaints aside,it's still a fantastic show.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping they'd go into detail about how exactly he learned about his family killer identity, it's just a bit weird that he get a letter with no proof and just goes on a murder spree. Not sure if there's more to it or it's just a case of not wanting to waste too much time (but then why not have him see the killer as a kid?).

Yeah I really don't like Fango, it's kinda like watching a modern day gangster movie, except one of the character act like a typical GTA main character who just goes nuts all the time and is strangely immune to death (seriously, gun bullet go fast, you don't dodge those things!). Plus the dinner scene was pretty much ruined by him, the Don just kill his chef for not making a perfect lasagna, but Fango shows up, put his dirty feet on the table then stab one of his associate and the Don doesn't even care?
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see Gabriella praising the show's aesthetics when from what I've seen elsewhere (the anime forum thread here and /r/anime) everyone is pretty critical of it, myself included.

Merida wrote:
I'm having a hard time getting invested in Angelo's revenge quest when he's so difficult to read. Did killing Vanno actually satisfy him? Did he feel remorse when he saw Nero cry? Does he actually feel anything at all? If he does, he's sure doing a fine job at hiding it...he's probably supposed to appear "cool", but so far this only resulted in leaving me cold.

A concern I have with Avilio/Angelo is that his relative muteness is just covering up a lack of writing skills on the show. My worries stem from just how much its cribbing from other shows in the genre and how lackluster it tends to feel when it isn't. Eventually that curtain will have to fall and it will be interesting to see what the series has to show for itself.

Unlike the reviewer, my faith in the series has actually gone down now that I've seen episode 3. I'm sort of back to where I was at the end of episode 1, wondering if incompetent is its natural level.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
This show is by Studio Shuka.

And it shows.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I was hoping they'd go into detail about how exactly he learned about his family killer identity, it's just a bit weird that he get a letter with no proof and just goes on a murder spree. Not sure if there's more to it or it's just a case of not wanting to waste too much time (but then why not have him see the killer as a kid?).

He heard Vincente's and Nero's names at least during the murders, and saw Vincente's face, and he probably also knew what families were involved, so he wasn't completely in the dark. It might well be that he hired someone to find out where those people had gone (it seems to start out in Italy rather than the US, judging by the clothing and architecture). If it's more nefarious than that, I'm sure we'll eventually find out.

I'm liking Fango as local color so far, but his hair is totally out of place. Even just the length would probably have gotten him killed by now, given the era, and the dye job doesn't help his case. But since it's the jazz age, his flamboyant cowboy clothes would probably have gotten a pass along with his general insanity. I'd like to meet his tailor.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm really getting bored with this one. It's a bunch of people I couldn't care less about running around in circles every week like chickens when you throw grain into the coop. The only guy I even remotely like is the friend making alcohol. The rest are just non-entities, red shirts.

I compare this to Baccano!'s chaos and see that I was invested there in the stories because either the characters were likeable, charismatic, or had a plot line that was interesting to follow. In 91 days they seem to think a nicely set up scene and atmosphere is enough. It isn't.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
I appreciate Fango more every week. He's the most colorful and entertaining part of this drab, dull show full of talking heads. Yes, he's both a sadist and a masochist (in the literal, S&M sense of the term), and yes, he looks like he time traveled from the 1970s with his hairdo and outfit. He stands out like a sore thumb. But at least he's fun to watch! We can't tell what's going on in Angelo's head, his bestie isn't getting much screentime, and none of the other gangsters are really fleshed out yet. I'm having a hard time figuring out who works for who.

If they dub this show, I hope they get a really good Marlo Brando impersonator for Don Orco. That was an obvious homage. (Did he really have the chef killed, though? He could have just fired him and thrown him out of town--the show doesn't make it clear).

The not-real-on-purpose setting of the show bothers me a bit. I keep telling myself that the action is probably going on in Long Island, NY, or New Jersey. What do you guys think is more likely?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
I keep thinking it's some city near the Canadian border like Chicago or Detroit or even Buffalo. I think the reason the speakeasy in the first episode seemed to operate so openly was because it was actually in the water, like on the Canadian side of the Detroit River or Niagara River or something like that. I'm probably way off base though. But I doubt they'll pin it down.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
^
I could see this being set in Buffalo. It's naturally a depressing, desaturated place. This would also explain Fango, since I know a bunch of folk where I live enjoy reading the Buffalo police blotter for Buffalo Man insanity (in the spirit of Florida Man). I guess I'll have to watch for any references to a giant waterfall nearby.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
It was an enjoyable breather of an episode. They do a good humanizing Nero and establishing this relationship between him and Angelo (sure that's going to be a dilemma going forward). The tone was pretty fucked at points,it wants you to take this hitman who breaks people in half as a threat (reminded me more of a similar character in The Rocketeer instead of a Coen Bros character). That stuff was just a little too ridiculous in what has been a pretty grounded show.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd say this was probably the most consistent, and thus best, episode of the show so far. The review pretty much hits the nail on the head for why I found this episode so likeable. More of this, and less of Fango, please.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of Nero, it's clear that he's had the warm family life that's Avilio was denied.

Well, he sure had some kind of family life as the heir to a mafia boss. Judging from what we've seen of his faher so far, i doubt that it was especially "warm". But i really wonder why he seems to trust Angelo so easily who's basically a stranger and had some kind of not-really-convincingly-explained involvement in the killing of his best friend...somehow i hope, he's not really that naive and there's more behind it, especially since i would be really bored if the revenge plan continued to work out so smoothly.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Well, he sure had some kind of family life as the heir to a mafia boss. Judging from what we've seen of his father so far, i doubt that it was especially "warm."

I think she meant with his brother(s?). Then again, I often hear people fondly recall parental abuse so maybe he meant that too. "Ah yeah, my old man whipped me with his belt so hard I couldn't sit down for three days. But I deserved it."

Merida wrote:
But i really wonder why he seems to trust Angelo so easily who's basically a stranger and had some kind of not-really-convincingly-explained involvement in the killing of his best friend...

I dunno how much he trusts him. It's not like he was giving away state secrets, and I'm sure he wasn't worried Angelo was going to turn him in to the cops. But people tell stories around campfires. It's probably in our DNA. Smile And after however long they've been riding together in near silence, I think Nero, who's a pretty gregarious fellow, was just happy that Angelo was finally talking to him.

The whole scene unfolded in a very organic way. Sharing personal stories tends to make people reciprocate even in ordinary circumstances. The juggling led to Nero's circus story, which in turn led Angelo to reciprocate with a bit of his backstory, which allowed him to ask about Nero's past. So his question didn't even seem suspicious. Aaand I'm sure it didn't hurt that they were both pretty mellowed by then, judging by the empty jars around the fire. Smile

What I want to know is why they sent Gorillath off to find Nero with a picture of him as a child?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7